Gif Thumbnail has a black background by default?

Guest huaren

Guest huaren

Hi guys, I was uploading my product, and it's in GIF format with a transparent background, however after I upload it, the system generated a black background for it's thumb, is there a way i CAN fix this?

thank you!

Guest PMinteractive

I ran into this problem a while back, its not the fault of CubeCart - I believe it is to do with the graphics module that is part of the server. It should be possible to mod the store to deal with transparency but from what I've read its not an easy task.

However, if it is easy please let me/us know! :errm:

Guest PMinteractive

Thinking about it, as an alternative you can always create your own thumbnails from your main images using a free image resizing tool, and then upload them over the top of the ones CubeCart creates. You just need to make sure that the filenames are identical (ie the same capitalisation of the whole name including the extension).

Good luck

• 3 months later...
Guest Kelvin

I also faces the same problem. As what PMinteractive suggest, The best way is to DIY. To make sure you got the right size, you might want to FTP the thumbnail from the images/uploads/thumbs/ directory to check their size. Altering the image to while background works if you have all white back ground, but if you have different color background, or need to change background color once in a while, there will be a lot of work re-coloring the images.

Tedious but works for me. Cheers!

I believe the problem is with the way Cubecart generate the thumbnail. Hope it can be fixed in the next update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I realised that everytime I go into the product to edit something (may not even be the picture but maybe change description or qty or anything on that page), the thumbnail gets reloaded into the black frame again. Are there anyway to circumvent this beside manually copy over the thumbnail each time I edit that product? It quite tedious work when the number of products grow.

Thanks.

You just need to make sure that the filenames are identical (ie the same capitalisation of the whole name including the extension).

Erm...

I had the problem that i uploaded my images and the server couldn't make thums of it.

And to let them viewed as thumbs you have to save them as thumb_*filename*.*ext* :(

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I realised that everytime I go into the product to edit something (may not even be the picture but maybe change description or qty or anything on that page), the thumbnail gets reloaded into the black frame again. Are there anyway to circumvent this beside manually copy over the thumbnail each time I edit that product? It quite tedious work when the number of products grow.

Thanks.

Hi Kelvin

Just doing a search through the forums and came across your post. I'm stuck in the same situation.... i have animated gifs with transparent b/ground and also tried out white/bgrounds... i managed to get both working by way of manually doing my own thumbnails to size and then uploading via ftp to the thumbs folder and ensuring that both the actual image and thumb image are named exactly the same also thumb_ added to the thumbs image.

All worked fine until i went into the admin and made a small change to the price, product options etc. When i refreshed my site the thumbnail had been regenerated to its original state which was a static gif with the black b/ground.

I was searching the forums today to see if there was some type of tweaking i could do in order to get the thumbnails not to regenerate when you edit the product and save.

Has anyone got a fix for this yet? please i'm truly stuck here.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Antz :)

• 4 months later...
Guest JaxxShirts

Has there been any update on this issue with transparent images? I have some that have transparency, and it doesn't work to make it the background color because my product page background and category background (where the thumbs are) are different colors.

Is the only solution to create all custom thumbs and then upload them manually?

Thanks,

Rusty

• 4 weeks later...
Guest littlalex

Howdy Folks - If you're a Windows user it's an easy fix. Download a copy of Irfanview (freeware). Load up your gif or png files and save as...without transparency.

Delete the offending images through the control panel and them load the fixed images through same and voila!

all fixed. 8^)

Irfanview=Great Software

Regards,

Littlalex

Guest JaxxShirts

Howdy Folks - If you're a Windows user it's an easy fix. Download a copy of Irfanview (freeware). Load up your gif or png files and save as...without transparency.

Delete the offending images through the control panel and them load the fixed images through same and voila!

all fixed. 8^)

Irfanview=Great Software

Regards,

Littlalex

Yes, I realize you can manually create the transparent thumbnails and manually upload them. But I would not call that an "easy fix". I would more call that an "irritating work around".

Guest littlalex

all fixed. 8^)

Irfanview=Great Software

Regards,

Littlalex

P.S. - Sorry folks, in my excitement I jumped the gun...my mighty fix is a mighty bust...doesn't work 8^(

Littlalex