Unable to increase thumbnail size

Guest sunshine

Guest sunshine

HI Everyone,

Is there another way the thumbnail size can be increased? I've tried adjusting the size in admin and reuploading. For example, when the thumb size is increased, the 'Latest product' thumbs stay the same size but each item will shift down vertically. I guess because the thumbs size was increased. The adjustments are made in the template but the actual pic stays the same size.

I've tried adjusting the size in admin and reuploading.

Do you mean re-uploading the images?

I think the thumbnails are created when you link a product to a pic. GD puts it in images/uploads/thumbs/ and sizes it according to what you've set in ACP.

If you want to change size, I think you would have to delete the ones in there, and they will not automatically be remade unless you go back and re-link each prod to the image in images/uploads/

IOW, if you add a new prod, the new thumbnail would be created in the new size you set, but the old ones in the thumbs directory are not automatically re-made when you change size in ACP.

You can avoid re-linking prods to pictures to solve this problem by doing a batch process on you PC to create new thumbs and FTP to the thumbs directory . . . or get the server-side thumb creator from downloads area, and make new thumbs to replace existing ones right there at the server.

Yeah,

If the products are not changing constantly, I like to make my own thumbs. That way you can control the size and quality. I batch process them in Photoshop, or do them one by one if there aren't too many. Name them ImageNamet.jpg and upload them into the images folder AFTER you create the product.

Guest sunshine

Yes!!! Thank you both. That actually is a better idea because they can all be uploaded at once and SSL mode while safe is just a tad slooowwer. I'll delete the pics in the thumbfolder and do them al at once on my computer.

Guest robcinoz

Thanks guys, I've been wondering about the same issue. Batching the thumbs offline and then uploading seems to be a far more controllable way of doing it and don't we all love having controll. :angry:

Thanks again for the advice

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Quincey Carey

The diagnostics page in setup wizard page is normal. Either Netpbm or Imagemagick is ok. When I upload the image to gallery, if thumbnail setup resolution value is lower than upload image (like 320), it will generate " Unable to make thumbnail" error. After increase the resolution, upload image is OK, but highlight image could not generate neither netpbm nor imagemagick (there is no error message in debug mode).