CubeCart Recommends

Photo

Wrong Currency sent to Paypal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 mephist0

mephist0
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2007 - 08:38 PM

I get the following error message when i try to pay an order i made:

This recipient does not accept payments denominated in USD. Please contact the seller and ask him to update his payment receiving preferences to accept this currency.

I have seen several posts with this problem but i cant find a sollution to it anywhere so i guess there still is user with this problem out there?

My shop runs in Swedish Kronor (SEK) and has the main currency set to SEK (that is the only activated currency in CubeCart. Paypal is set to accept SEK and USD and SEK is the primary (default) value.

It seems like my shop tries to send the payment in USD anyway? Why is that? And paypal should anyway accept this..

In paypal for this setting i have the following:
Block payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold:
No, accept them and convert them to Swedish Kronor

I have also tried other settings without result..

Does anyone know what can be wrong? HEEELP! :( :(

#2 sachie

sachie
  • Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hi mephist0,

I'm not sure if you have tried it but there is a patch available which sets the default currency for Paypal as the default currency for the cart. My site is based in the UK and it was making the payments in USD but now I have installed the mod it now makes the payments in GBP

the link is:

https://www.cubecart...e...=52&nav=0,5

Cheers
Sachie

#3 mephist0

mephist0
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hi mephist0,

I'm not sure if you have tried it but there is a patch available which sets the default currency for Paypal as the default currency for the cart. My site is based in the UK and it was making the payments in USD but now I have installed the mod it now makes the payments in GBP

the link is:

Cheers
Sachie

hello! Thank you very much for your reply! I searched the forum but did not find any information about this, but i found a thread where a fix were discussed but no link.. Thanks i will try this!! :) :D

#4 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

Is this mod relevant to IPN?

I had a similar problem today - paypal processed the payment in USD instead of GBP. I'm not sure why at all.

I tested it myself - and it went through as GBP - but for some reason this customer's one went through as USD.

#5 disco_ii_disco

disco_ii_disco
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I've just had a problem with a customer's payment going through in US Dollars instead of UK sterling too. It has only happened since updating my website last night.

Will try the patch above which will hopefullly fix the problem.

Chris

#6 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:08 PM

I had this happen again - what is going on??

The patch mentioned above is for the API - not for IPN.

Anyone from Cubecart wish to comment?

#7 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

One possible clue to this - the few times it happened with me it was with users who have originally had trouble completing their transactions with PayPal. They may have had one paypal transaction fail, and they are trying again, or perhaps have an order in their cart, failed to checkout, then logged in from another PC and tried to re-order the same item, but being on a different PC their cart would have been empty.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else who has experienced this problem - did the customers have a failed or incomplete transaction before the USD transaction?

#8 ndxsystems

ndxsystems
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Also getting this problem sometimes transfers in UKĀ£ and others in USD :rolly:

#9 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 08:31 AM

I think I can see a pattern here and how to reproduce. I'm on 3.0.10.

When a customer chooses paypal as their payment method, the payment fails, and then they go back to pay _again_ - then the currency appears to come through as US$.

I've lost a few sales because of this - and it is quite annoying. I don't suppose it is possible anyone will investigate to fix this?

#10 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

I did some investigatin myslef. It would appear that if the transfer.inc.php module does not send a currency_code value, then PayPal defaults to USD. So i'm thinking - there is a bug somewhere where the currency does not get sent for some reason. Perhaps some other fields do not get sent either - i've not been able to reproduce it myself, i'm just guessing.

Anyhow, as a hack, I hard coded PayPal to GBP - which is fine for me since that is all I accept.

So, under modules/gateway/PayPal

edit file 'transfer.inc.php

Change this line:

<input type='hidden' name='currency_code' value='".$config['defaultCurrency']."' /

To this:
<input type='hidden' name='currency_code' value='GBP' /

I'm not even sure if this will do anything good or bad - I did a test transaction and it seemed to go through fine.

YMMV - any comments welcome. If this does not work for you or you lose sales - please no complaints to me! :huh:

#11 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:55 PM

Right - even after making this change, i've had another customer with the same problem. The problem definatley seems to happen when the customer has something in their cart, and comes in sometime later to complete the payment (possibly days later).

I really would like to get to the bottom of this!

#12 dudestore

dudestore
  • Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:49 PM

I'm not sure but why not try remove the whole currency code? It might allow customers to choose any currency that you accepts. I don't know.
<input type='hidden' name='currency_code' value='".$config['defaultCurrency']."' />
I've opened few currencies since USD became worthless (i still accept it since i live here).

#13 aris1234

aris1234
  • Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:01 AM

The default is USD, so if I removed it everything would be USD, and I want GBP.

#14 holograph

holograph
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:14 AM

Hi mephist0,

the link is:

Cheers
Sachie

I am having the exact same problem with Danish Kroners versus USD. I tried the link mentioned in this forum for the fix, but get this error:
"Fatal error: ERROR: Invalid Download Item Specified in /chroot/home/cubecart/cubecart.com/html/support/modules/downloads/client_downloads.php on line 138"

#15 FlairConcepts

FlairConcepts
  • Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

Hi

For the life of me,,, i have been in front of my pc for the past 16 hours trying to set this IPN + trying to figure out why my currency is not working when it gets to paypal!!!!

aghhhhhh,,,,

I too have this problem.

In admin i have set up only 2 currencies, AU and US

In my paypal i have as default balances AU and US is open for converting

In my "payment receiving preferences" i have

Block payments sent to me in a currency I do not hold: Yes

Now i have also tried changing it to this
No, accept them and convert them to Australian Dollars Ask Me

Now i'm not quite sure which one to use, but i'm absolutely at my wits end with this... i have searched the forums and googled about and can't find a solution.

My digital products are set up correctly but for the life of me i can't figure out why when a customer sets the currency in my store to US and then goes through the gateway and appears at the paypal page it shows up as AU!!!!!!

Anyone found a fix for this pls.

Thanks
Antz :)