Tax is not being discounted by coupon code

goodspark

When using a coupon code in CC5, the sales tax is being charged at the full retail price of a product instead of the discounted price from a coupon. Shouldn't the tax be charged at the product total price, including discounts?

Let's assume sales tax is 5%. For example, if a dress is $50 but a coupon makes it 10% off, the new product price is $45 so the sales tax should be $2.25. Instead, the sales tax calculates at $2.50 (the original, non-couponed price).

I found this commented out in the cart class, inside the _applyDiscounts function:

// reduce tax value for coupon
// $taxdiscount =  $this->basket['total_tax']*($data['value']/100);
// $this->basket['total_tax'] = $taxdiscount;
// $GLOBALS['cart']->set('order_taxes', $taxdiscount);

I tried uncommenting it, but it isn't updating the tax amount. Any ideas?

I'm not finding that code in CC511, CC514, CC522, CC524, or CC525 Cart->_applyDiscounts(), so you might not be running a version where this has been resolved, or you may be mistaken as to where these commented lines are located.

Would you please remind us of the exact version of CubeCart you are running? And the line numbers where these lines are located.

I am using 5.2.5. I just looked at a fresh install, and it isn't there. Someone else working on our site must have added it. Sorry for the confusion, but the issue is in place on the clean install as well and also on the Cubecart.com demo store. Tax is calculated from the full price, not discounted price.

To narrow down what code to trace, would you please let us know if the coupon (10%) specifically applies to a particular product(s), generally applies to any product (the whole basket), specifically does not apply to any product(s), applies only to shipping, etc.

Also, is your shipping charges taxable? Also realize, until CubeCart has the customer's delivery address, taxes may reflect those in effect at your store's location.

I will assume it applies to all the items in general, that is, for each and every item in the basket, the 10% is applied.

• 6 months later...

I have confirmed this situation.

Even when all settings seem to state that a coupon will be applied to the subtotal only, and to apply to all products EXCEPT the ones listed (which there are none listed), and that the coupon will not apply to shipping, the amount of the coupon will still be deducted from the Grand Total - post-tax - giving a new Grand Total.

For example, a $60 item taxed at 7.5% with shipping at $10 will have a tax of $5.25, the Grand Total of $75.25.

Currently, if a $10 general coupon is used, the Grand Total is $65.25.

If the coupon were to be correctly applied to the sub-total only:

($60 less coupon $10)=$50 item taxed at 7.5% ($3.75) with shipping at $10 (tax of $0.75) will have a tax of $4.50, the Grand Total of $64.50.

I will submit a ticket and hope to have a response.

More problems along the same lines:

If I buy a sale item + a retail item then the sales tax is calculated on the retail prices, ignoring the sale price.

Please tell me when I can expect these things to be addressed as my online shop is extremely important to my business, and I've already had to spend hour upon hour configuring the 'upgrade'  to work like it did before.

"How do I change the page title tag?"

Please note the setting you have for Store Settings, Search Engines tab, Global Meta Data Behaviour. The choices are Disabled, Merged, and Replaced.

If Replaced, then any meta data setting fields you are given for individual products, documents, and categories will replace the meta data fields given in the Store Settings - even if the individual item's fields are blank.

I am assuming you are using, for the time being, a stock CubeCart skin.