Change category index add to cart to go to product page

SimChris

HI, folks

I couldn't find a toggle for this, so assuming I need to hack a file someplace. Suggestions appreciated.

Problem:

Client goes to front page of store, or information page on site outside of store, links we've created take customer to the service product info page in store for an item. Here they can add any drop-down menu options without any trouble. Good flow for customer.

However (and the issue/problem), if a customer goes to a category index such as "SERVICES A" or "SERVICES B" from the top or side menu, or they have it bookmarked for reg. clients,  the buttons on the category pages add item directly to cart without taking to the product page, so they never see the add-on options for the product, often needed by customer.

So, any way to change the buttons on category view to "Order Service" vs "Add to Cart" and send client to product page vs adding item to cart directly which bypasses the product page? Meaning, button takes to product info page, vs adding item to cart - so they have to add to cart on the product info page in store?

Still running 5.2.5, waiting on stable 5.2.10.

Thanks folks!

Chris

Hi, bsmither

I think I didn't spell that out quite right.

In our store, we have shopping aisles, just like everybody else, except services.

SO, when somebody goes to the category page, and sees a line up of the services, I want to REPLACE the "add to cart" buttons on category pages with "Order Service" and have button go to the product page, just like clicking an image does. (Often we have no images since it's a service).

So on the categories pages (shopping aisles if you will), I want to replace the default (Add to Cart) buttons, with (Order Service) or whatever, to get customer to go to the product page first, and NOT just add item to cart from the category/aisles.

Or, put another way change add to cart button to have same behavior as the photo click, and go to product page and NOT add to cart.

Just not sure which file to edit to presumably make the button clone the photo behavior to go to product page vs adding to cart.

Sorry. It's a bit like selling T-Shirts, if somebody just adds item to cart, there is no flow to choose size or color. So, we need to remove the category/aisle view 'add to cart' button since it bypasses seeing service options.

OR: alternately, even perhaps cooler, would be option to have single column of items in the category/aisle where each item prints with the options and add to cart in the loop --- sort of like printing all the pages, without the "description" area.

Anyway..... just looking for a pointer where to tackle the simpler version of that concept. And it just occurred to be in might be someplace else in the Vector skins. Do'h.

Not enough sleep ... just had client run into  this Friday and thought I'd try to sort it.

<div class="product-actions">
<a href="{$product.url}" class="btn btn-primary btn-small" title="Choose Options"><i class="icon-shopping-cart icon-white"></i> Choose Options</a>
</div>

oh. Coffee kicking in on a Sunday afternoon.

In Vector skin, this appears to be element.product_listing.php

{if !$CATALOGUE_MODE}
				<div class="product-actions">
					{if ($product.ctrl_stock || $product.ctrl_purchase) && !$CATALOGUE_MODE}
						<a href="#submit" class="btn btn-primary" title="{$LANG.catalogue.add_to_basket}">
							<i class="icon-shopping-cart icon-white"></i> {$LANG.catalogue.add_to_basket}
						</a>

&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="{$product.url}" class="btn btn-info" title="Choose Options"><i class="icon-shopping-cart icon-white"></i> Choose Options</a>

Fixed. Basically added code to the file /templates/element.product.php

You can mark this resolved.

Basically I ended up keeping the "add to cart" button, but adding an "add options" button; so now the catalog view (shopping aisles) will show both buttons next to each product/service option.

I didn't need to change anything to the options themselves, nor to the option views, or anything else; I simply needed to know where/how to add a button to go to the product view page from the catalog indexes.

Solved. You may mark this topic resolved/closed. :-)