Cookies

elgroover

Welcome elgroover! Glad to see you made it to the forums.

How do I find out what cookies CubeCart implements?

Your browser may have a tool that let's you see the cookies. As best I know, the latest versions of CC5 will display a window if the Store is in the UK asking the visitor to confirm the notice that the site uses cookies. There will be a cookie for:

PHPSESSID: (session) used to maintain a continuity between pages such as remembering the shopping cart contents and logged in status.

__utf**: (???) technically, not a CubeCart cookie but rather a Google Analytics cookie maintained by Google.

RememberMe: (persistent) the name may be wrong, but is used to keep someone logged in between sessions. (I've never used it.)

other: (various) if you add stuff like Facebook, Twitter, AddThis, Pinterest, yada, yada, yada, there may be cookies, but not maintained by CubeCart.

Is there a template for any relevant policy?

I suppose that depends on your country's legalities. In the USA, I'm not aware of any specific required wording, if any at all. Here is what a client of mine has said:

The website uses "cookies" to improve your experience on our site, and is required to make a purchase. Cookies are small text files placed on your computer through your browser when you generally visit some websites. Our website does not place any other cookies on your computer.

I'll write a kb article about this tomorrow morning. Bsmither is right though...

In summary if you have a fresh install of Cubecart out of the box cubecart will literally only set a cookie to track the session which will only contain a random string used to track the session and pull saved session data from the database.

The default name for this is (as bsmither said) is mentioned above. For this reason under the EU laws you don't need an acceptance cookie popup message thing with default "essential" cookies.

Any other cookies will need documenting in your policy and the suppliers in question should have suitable information to help you.