Restricting payment method for Digital Downloads

Brian T

I only offer Print_Order_Form and Paypal as payment options on my website.  When customers select digital downloads, I wish them to pay via paypal.

Despite spelling this out as clearly as I can on the website, I still get more people choosing Print_Order_Form as their payment method when they've selected a digital download.

Is there a way of them only being given the option of paying my paypal is they've chosen a digital download product?

Many thanks

Hi Brian

There is no way to do this in core CubeCart and I would doubt it is a feature that many people would want although thise like you that do need it, it would be important.

I did look at writing a plugin before that would allow definition of a specific payment gateway either at a category or product level but it could also be done for digital / tangible products as well - it never went ahead but could be looked into again

Ian

SemperFi came up with an intriguing start of a solution: scan the cart contents for any item that is digital, and if so, restrict the listing of the available gateways.

/classes/cubecart.class.php
Was:
 $gateways = $GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_modules', false, $where, array('position' => 'ASC'));

Now:
 if ($this->_basket['digital_only']) {
   $where_digital_only = array('module' => 'gateway', 'folder' => 'PayPal', 'status' => '1');
   $gateways = $GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_modules', false, $where_digital_only, array('position' => 'ASC'));
 } else {
   $gateways = $GLOBALS['db']->select('CubeCart_modules', false, $where, array('position' => 'ASC'));
 }

The above tests for a basket flag that CubeCart sets when there are only digital products, but does not take into account for when there is a mix and the desired outcome is still when any item in the mix is digital.

I'll experiment with this.

My initial tests have shown that a code snippet can immediately direct a customer to a stated gateway (but not necessarily a plugin-type gateway) if the cart contents contains at least one digital product.

In admin, Manage Hooks, Code Snippets tab, click Add Snippet.

Enabled: Green Check

Unique ID: digital_gateway@cubecart  <==(32 characters max!)

Execution Order: 1

Description: Gives customer only one payment method if cart has a digital item in it

Trigger: class.cubecart.construct.gateway

Version: 1.0

Author: forums.cubecart.com/topic/49295-restricting-payment-method-for-digital-downloads/

PHP Code:

{php}
        $my_digital_gateway = "PayPal"; // must exactly match gateway module folder name!

$this->_basket =& $GLOBALS['cart']->basket;
        $has_digital = false;
        foreach ($this->_basket['contents'] as $hash => $product){
            if ($product['digital']){ // has a digital product - no need to keep looking
                $has_digital = true;
                break;
            }
        }

if (!$has_digital){
            if (isset($this->_basket['has_digital'])) unset($this->_basket['has_digital']); // digital item removed
        } else {
            $GLOBALS['cart']->set('has_digital', true);
        }

if ($this->_basket['has_digital']){
            $_REQUEST['gateway'] = $my_digital_gateway;
        }
{/php}

The first line of code specifies the gateway to use.

Please test and let us know how it works for you.

Thanks goes to SemperFi!