Jump to content

SergeiG

Member
  • Content Count

    60
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Hi, sorry for delay with answer. Thank you for the advice. I use "All in one shipping" module, and I checked settings - Tax Type is equal 0% for shipping. Actually, I faced with this issue only when customers use discount promo-codes (percentage or amount). If it's a regular order without discount, everything is ok.
  2. Hi! I'm using Cubecart v.6.17 and faced with the following issue: When client make an order with usage a promo-code, tax is calculated for ((sub-total - discount)+shipping) instead of just (sub-total - discount). For example: Sub-total: 118.00 Discount 10% = 11.80 Shipping = 5.00 !!! Tax 5% = 5.56 (118-11.8+5)*0.05 But it should be 5.31 (118-11.8)*0.05 I have checked all details for a promo code and for the tax, for both of them 'shipping' box isn't selected. If it's famous issue, which was corrected in latest versions, could it be possible to receive a corrected piece of code? Thank you
  3. Hello everybody, During last two weeks, my on-line store, based on 6.1.7 version, constantly receive a requests for non-existing pages like /h/4261262.html The regions, where requests are generated, are not typical for my audience - Africa and Latin America. I checked my site from outside - attempts to reach this page cause 404 errors. I checked my hosting space by file manager and didn't find anything suspicious. Do you have any ideas about nature of these requests?
  4. Hello! I use "All In One Shipping" 1.0.8 and I found that it is possible to make an order without choosing a shipping method. I will really appreciate if somebody helps me to fix it. Thank you.
  5. Hello! Is there any ready/semi-ready solutions to collect and show customers feedbacks about store? From my perspective, it may look same as the product review solution. Thank you.
  6. Hello! Big thank you for the advice about debugging mode. It didn't help, but will be useful in future. I found the reason of this issue - during changes in additional language file I loose 'email_ru_RU.xml' file, as the result, when a customer (who uses this language) made an order, the engine couldn't create an email. It's absolutely my fault, however a situation, when one or several language files aren't exist, requires two solutions: 1) Error message in log-file 2) An attempt to send an e-mail by usage a default (english) language.
  7. Hello! Today I found that customers don't receive any emails about their orders, I also don't receive any confirmations about new orders. I don't have any clue where this issue can be. 1) During making a test order I didn't receive any errors on a front-end side. 2) 'E-mail' log doesn't show that any e-mails were send. (!!!) 3) 'Error log' is clear for ''admin" and "system" tabs 4) Test e-mail from "Store settings/Advanced" are sent and came to me without any issues. Last changes which I made before this issue happen: - #1630 was deployed - 'Sender's Email Address' was changed in "Store settings/Advanced". I replace modified order.class.php by original version from 6.1.5 pack, clear cache at the back-end. It doesn't help. Additons: When I change status to "Processing" - nothing happen. If after that I change a status back to "Pending" then "New order" e-mail goes to an admin, but "Order confirmation" e-mail isn't send to a customer.
  8. Hello! As I know, this issue haven't been solved yet. From my perspective, it takes time because only small number of users meet this issue and it difficult to developers reproduce in their environments.
  9. Thank you for advice, I almost complete this way of realization my idea. However, there is one huge difference between these two lists which I wanted to use - the feature list isn't stable, it changes randomly.
  10. Hello! I would really appreciate if somebody explains me how to show 'featured' products on the main page instead of 'latest' products. Thank you
  11. Right now I repeat next steps: Download CubeCart 6.1.7, install it (without mistakes) on clean environment, open home page, input e-mail into "Mailing List", press Subscribe. The result - a screen scroll up, no information/error messages, no e-mail in the mailing list on admin side. mailing_list_test.mp4
  12. Sorry for delay with answers, I tried to collect enough information... 1) The error "VM103:2 Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token < in JSON at position 1 at JSON.parse (<anonymous>) at Object.dataFilter (3.cubecart.validate.js:124) at N (jquery.js:14) at c (jquery.js:25) at XMLHttpRequest.<anonymous> (jquery.js:27)" was caused by usage 'incognito' mode in Chrome. 2) I created absolutely new site - cube2.mywinnipeg.info No any errors during an installation process. Subscription doesn't work from the first launch. I visited 'Store setting', updated the country and the county, press 'Save' - didn't help. 3) In total I have 3 domains (two different hosting company): 6.1.5 - works fine 6.1.7 upgraded from 6.1.5 - doesn't work 6.1.7 'from the box' - doesn't work.
  13. Me too... I hoped to launch a shop an this weekend and this feature is critically important. But right I can't choose what is better - launch site on the 6.1.5 and have upgrade issues later, or use 6.1.7 and have issues now with hope for bug-free future...
  14. For testing reasons I turned off captcha/recaptha features at all from the first steps.
×
×
  • Create New...