My Newest Site

Guest twisted

i have no constructive comments

I would disagree - that would depend on how your comments are taken, even if you actually meant for them to be disruptive or destructive. (Your comment quoted above implies that you indeed meant them that way, but hopefully you didn't.)

Actually most of your remarks were probably more relevant than blanket statements about general principles regarding reverse print. As I implied before, there is nothing wrong with deviating from the standard; actually, it can work in one's favor sometimes.

Having stated all that, I have to say that I agree, personally, that the preponderance of objectionable elements (size, font, busy background, low-quality images of "cheesecake" that I like to see in high quality ;) ) makes the site very problematic. The best that can be said is that it works.

I've only been here a couple of weeks, but have read enough to know that Twisted has a good reputation here as a designer/developer, so it is no surprise that if he lays a bit of an egg in the opinion of peers he would be a little defensive. On the other hand, if you truly feel you are making non-constructive comments, why make them at all? If you can't couch them in constructive terms, who does it benefit?

/mark, and still defending both ideas: the customer gets it his way, and a man should be as unorthodox as he pleases with his own schtuff B)

. . . and ready to take opposing criticism when he asks for opinions in a public forum :D

Guest twisted

*** as an aside twisted you have slated people for having graphic intensive sites as you only have dialup
I have never "slated" anyone for this. Yeah, I point it out that their image file sizes are large and as such, take a while to load on dial-up, but i do not "slate" them for it.

. . . and ready to take opposing criticism when he asks for opinions in a public forum
If I was not ready, i would not have posted. But that doesn't mean I can't defend my design choices, or myself, if either are maligned [not to mention if I am actually requested to do so].

3. Cliched, but true .... You can't please all of the people all of the time.

Thanks for your input.

• 3 weeks later...

As a web designer, and "old school" coder myself, I just HAD to put my two cents in here. B)

First things first:

1- This page has WAY too many HTTP requests needed (44 in total), but that is forgiveable seeing as it is a shopping cart.

2- This page comes in at a whopping 86+k, which is far too heavy for the "average" user. (For instance, it is estimated that roughly 50% of America is still using 56k modems. This site would load in roughly 18 seconds a page for them)

3- There are a total of 42 images which make up just over 58k of the pages 86+k, which, again, is forgiveable since it's a shopping cart.

All in all, there really isn't much that could be done to help this site out in terms of size per page. It even uses CSS which is comendable, in and of itself.

The only two things I would recommend are as follows:

1- To increase the speed: Make smaller categories, thereby limiting the amount of pictures required for each page to load - OR- simply break up the sections with a limiting statement so that only a portion of the available items will be displayed on each page.

2- To increase sales: Change the colors. Simply put, dark blue is NOT a color associated with sexuality. Dark blue is generally accepted as a calming, depressive color. Although I am not recommending you use hot pink (which is used for your menus), I would highly recommend using a color that reflects your goals. Say, a nice plush red velvet textured background with gold satin trim.

Dark reds and gold tones are the most widely appealing colors for items that are sexually linked for a reason (dark red being indicative of arousal responses, and gold being linked to gold bands exchanged during marriage). Even though it may seem cliched, it works. Also, you may want to look into what is now being termed "dickless advertising". Simply realizing that it is women, NOT men who more frequently go lengerie shopping will help you out immensely. Therefor, using a picture of a woman in "skimpy attire" doesn't work as well as say, a picture of a woman in lengerie being held/caressed by a desireable man. After all, they are dressing up for a purpose, and it's not to be by themself B)

If you would REALLY like to make some nice profits, I can even help you out with how to create sales simply by using NLP and hypnosis in your marketing and site design. Or, simply check out the new version of my site, due to be released within the next week, and see if you can spot the underlying action messages.

My site can be found at www.consultantsea.com , and is currently going through a major overhaul, so give me a few more days until it's fully redone. */*

Twisted said:

how many modern sites are designed it that resolution?

1 in a hundred? 1 in 200? 1 in 500? 1 in a thousand?

END QUOTE

Is that the right question? To me it sounds like the logic of "if Johnny jumped off the bridge, do you have to?"

I think you have that back asswards.

The logic behind twisteds comment [using your own analogy] is more like...

if there are 100 people standing on the bridge, and johnny jumps off...does that make the other 99 people wrong for not following suit?

B)