Installing a CC demo store onto a thumb drive

jerseyjoe

Guest Brivtech

I'm trying to do some work on the SEO MOD, and as soon as I throw in the .htaccess file, I get the same problem.

Anyone know the solution to this?

I also can't figure out where to alter any apache settings.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest scot405583

I simply used WOS from this site http://www.chsoftware.net

downloaded the components that i needed php,msql,zend,myphpadmin it is all selectable in the download.

then unziped to c:\wos

ran the wos.exe let it stall the packages.

copied cubecart to the wos\www\cubecart folder

ran myphpadmin set database info

went back to cubecart ran the install.

deleted the install stuff

poof cubecart running from hd..

edit the index.php in the wos\www folder so it will start cubecart on loadup

this is all that i changed......

<?php

header("location:cubecart/index.php");

?>

to get it on usb.. simple copy c:\wos to usb:\wos place short cut in the main directory of the usb.. that it....

less than 100 megs installed and working.

u can go into the wos opitions and make this a webserver.

if anyone would like a working copy of cubecart on a usb drive contact me for price this will include lastest version of cubecart and wos on a usb with a standard username and password. im only charging for the usb drive and the time to do it...... that all!

Guest scot405583

if anyone is interested i will make a video tutorial how to install cubecart on a usb drive with localhost.

using wos and cubecart.

please let me know if this is something that you would like to see.

scot

if anyone is interested i will make a video tutorial how to install cubecart on a usb drive with localhost.

using wos and cubecart.

please let me know if this is something that you would like to see.

scot

That would be very welcome I'm sure. When you are ready to post it, send the forum moderator a PM and ask that it be made sticky as a new topic.

Meanwhile, as the author of this thread, I'm now asking that the moderator unstick it. My original post has now become outdated by two significant developments and therefore is no longer be authoritative or useful.

The two developments are:

1) MSAS is no longer widely available. Its replacement (JSAS) has a different interface. The steps described in my original tutorial no longer apply.

2) there is now a far more superior method available using another Open Source program. It is EasyPHP (http://www.easyphp.org/presentation.php3).

In typical geek fashion, the so-called instructions for its installation and use are written for those who don't need them in the first place. The text describes the results, not a step by step tutorial on how to achieve them. That opacity is further aggravated by having originated in French, the language of the product's talented developers -and then poorly translated into English.

A set of instructions that begin with the sentence, "Launch EasyPHP - We can't properly talk about the launch of EasyPHP, it's only the fact of starting the Apache and MySQL server." is not going to be very helpful.

Even in its original language, it's an example of why programmers should not write manuals or tutorials. They make assumptions based on their own intimate knowledge of the software and make great leaps over what they consider obvious information. Further, in my experience, programmers are usually lacking in language proficiency and syntax. Too often they do not grasp the concept that English-language syntax, grammar and punctuation are is just as important there as they are in computer code.

So, I will write a new set of instructions in English, on how to install CubeCart (or any script that requires PHP and MySQL) on devices such as a desktop, laptop or USB drive so it can be customized and/or simply used as a demo, without the need for an Internet connection and remote hosting server. It will use EasyPHP as the tool.

My churlish comments aside, EasyPHP is an amazingly compact and sweet tool for its purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Brivtech

I've unpinned it, and look forward to a new topic with the CC on EasyPHP setup instructions.

One of the things I didn't like about JSAS was the ugly "Control Panel" popup. I'm hoping that EasyPHP will have a more discreet interface. It's not good when customers phone me back after seeing a demonstration on their computer, telling me "Yes, that JSAS store looked great". I just had a look on the EasyPHP site, and they mention a system tray icon - Far better. :ninja:

I've unpinned it, and look forward to a new topic with the CC on EasyPHP setup instructions.
OK, it's posted.

http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=28295

May I suggest that this thread be closed at this point, leaving the above link to the new version - and then that the new version be pinned but not closed. I can forsee the value of leaving the new thread open to allow helpful comments from others, as well as the occasional puzzled question.