Import product catalog from Excel (tab-delimited)

The first site using the CSV import went live last night. I'm going to be working on some more testing with markscarts. Once we're sure I've covered all the bases, it'll be released for sale on my site. Thanks for your patience everybody. :w00t:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sgleaton

email me at [email protected] I have a macro that you can use to export to a comma or semicolon delimited text file that you can import using phpMyAdmin

I added my products this way. Be sure to put Excel Export to MySQL in the header please.

Hi,

Sir William, how are you getting on with the data import mod?

I have just found CC and think its superb, apart from the lack of product bulk import function, if you have a mod available I will defintely be changing to CC for online stores.

Thanks,

Paul

Well, I've started to send it out for testing 4 times now and keep thinking of more things to add. So VERY soon, I'll just say enough is enough and get it out there. Sit tight. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pitstop

OK, I posted yesterday asking about how I could add 20,000 products quickly, then I found this thread.

Obviously no one can do this, however, it took me 30 minutes to work out how to do this reasonably quickly and free and it works quite nicely.

If you;re fed up with waiting then its worth doing.

There are 2 areas, not 3 as someone stated earlier in this thread where the data must be added to the database for each product, these are:

CubeCart_cats_idx

and

CubeCart_inventory

I used excel to create my spreadsheet and used the CONCATENATE function, basicaly I split the following up within excel, this is one product taken from CubeCart_inventory:

INSERT INTO `CubeCart_inventory` VALUES (115, 'Test product', 1, 'This is where your description goes', 'test_product.jpg', 0, 2.00, 'Test product', 15, 0, 0.00, 0, 0, 0, '', 0.000, 2, 1);

So the data that changes in my instance are Test product, the description part, the image, the price, the item number and the category.

I don;t want to waffle on in case no one is interested but it works for me and I can help if you're fed up waiting.

didnt read this whole post, but my CSV v2 can now work with tab delimited files..

if you need this.. let me know!! the downloadable one on my site is for comma delimited.. so i will have to personally send you the tab one..

next release of my CSV will have an option to change the delimitor as well as a backup feature

Tony~!

• 1 month later...
Guest Paracelsus

didnt read this whole post, but my CSV v2 can now work with tab delimited files..

if you need this.. let me know!! the downloadable one on my site is for comma delimited.. so i will have to personally send you the tab one..

next release of my CSV will have an option to change the delimitor as well as a backup feature

I wrote Ruby scripts that transform my supplier's tab-delimited files into something I can use with OSCommerce. I want to switch to CubeCart - but its my understanding your script doesn't play too well with CC3?

Also, what is the status of the SirWilliam's script? I didn't see it on his site.

I will be writing my own cart at some point on Rails, but after four months of fighting with OSCommerce and never going live, I just want a solution now.

Guest Paracelsus

One more note to the people developing these scripts:

OSCommerce Easy Populate has a Froogle output - text files for froogle listings that match up to the inventory on your site. You might consider this to be a competitive feature to add.

Guest martino

OSCommerce Easy Populate has a Froogle output - text files for froogle listings that match up to the inventory on your site. You might consider this to be a competitive feature to add.

CC already does Froogle output. In Admin go to View Products and click on the Froogle logo.

Guest Paracelsus

CC already does Froogle output. In Admin go to View Products and click on the Froogle logo.

Thanks!

Kindly disregard my comment then. :on2long:

• 2 weeks later...

Sir William, any progress on the csv updater, im just about to create my new store and have a heap of products to upload. Anything to make this process faster and easier would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

The script is about to head to beta testers now with a full release hopefully this weekend or the first part of next week. I still have a couple things to tweak, but nothing major. Hopefully I can get some help with documentation from my testers. :D

:D

Blair has been sent a copy to test. Now who else was supposed to receive it? Carl, Mark, and it seems like one other??? Drop me an e-mail guys and I'll head it your way.

:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Blair has been sent a copy to test. Now who else was supposed to receive it? Carl, Mark, and it seems like one other??? Drop me an e-mail guys and I'll head it your way.

:innocent:

Would love to help beta test and/or financially support. We have databases ranging from 350 products to 25,000 products available to us (either CSV/XML).

Drop me an email if you are interested: "adam //at// xomy //dot// com"

Guest Beachbum

where can this be obtained and how much does it cost?

I need help loading about 1500 products and keeping them updated I recieve excel inventory sheet from supplier daily.

Thanks

Guest degsey69

Finaly got the mod yesterday and it certainly takes the pain out of uploading the csv file.

He is going to put two of his mods together and allow you to download thecsv file and upload all in the same mod.

So Sir William I am waiting for the next version with this capabilty. ;)

degsey69, what you're talking about is not going to be an updated version, but a separate, standalone script. It will not allow the same CSV import that the import mod allows. It will create a file from your existing products only then update those products after you tweak values in the file.

:w00t:

Guest Beachbum

If different modules which one should I use? I’m new here and I working to get a site up in cubecart 3.09; I’m currently using Zen_Cart and EP to mass populate the site it seems to work to get product on the site put to update inventory from my supplier seems to be a headache. “Trying to merge the inventory and newly added products.â€

I’m not sure if cubecart is right for me and do not wish to sink a lot of money into it if I do not stay with it. I’m working through the “kinks†of layout and payment gateways

Could I send my files I get from my supplier and see which module would work – I do not mind to pay for something if its going to work for me.

Guest degsey69

The csv import mod is good for suppliers csv files to be uploaded after they are ammended to fit the format of the data base.

Now I might be wrong here and Sir William I hope that you will correct me as always, but until the next mod is produced, you can use this mod after you trancate the tables in mysql manualy to do updates.

In effect taking out everything and reapplying again from a modified updated master csv file.

The only problem with this is that there is no backup security as afforded by the mod as you will have deleted the content of the tables before applying the new file. Sir Williams csv mod backs up the old database and if there is a problem applying the new one then it can restore the old one back. :w00t: