Good website host company?

Guest Dantebuub

my wife get's them register for 3.95 a yr, but for 40 dlls it´s included, we would be making a 10 dll profit, and I'm just trying to be a good neighbor. I mean I saw the forum, said what the heck, I mean most hosting companies screw you, or have plans that are big budgeted, so I'm just trying to help. Feel free to ask me anything more, but that would be the price. 50 dlls with any domain .com included that you want.

my wife get's them register for 3.95 a yr, but for 40 dlls it´s included, we would be making a 10 dll profit, and I'm just trying to be a good neighbor. I mean I saw the forum, said what the heck, I mean most hosting companies screw you, or have plans that are big budgeted, so I'm just trying to help. Feel free to ask me anything more, but that would be the price. 50 dlls with any domain .com included that you want.

I was going to stay out of this thread because the issues appears to be low price and I do not seek out clients for whom price is a major issue. But the remark, "most hosting companies screw you, or have plans that are big budgeted," requires responsible comment. An ignorant remark like that should be consider in the light of the source and the questionable status of the "service" promised.

I have been hosting web sites since January, 1994, have clients in 5 countries and a better than 90% retention rate. I am at the high end as regards fees, $240 per year, which I require be paid in advance annually. I provide intensely responsive and personal service.

My clients are almost exclusively businesses, not personal or hobbyists' playgrounds, although all get the same level of service and support. Any successful business owner will tell you that a dependable supplier is as equally important as a customer. Price is not the most important issue. Dependability is the last word that I would think of in regard to the offer from the wife's servers.

You, sir, are running a dubious business built upon sand. You are proposing to charge someone for the use of her employer's equipment and service. While employee benefits there may be generous to the point of being lax, and the equipment and connection may have high capacity, I doubt very much that the employer approves of you building a business on their servers.

The liability issues alone should scare the hell out of someone "upstairs," not to mention security concerns. And if they truly do not care, well wave a red flag high because there will yet be a day of reckoning at that "business." It's just not how a sound business is operated.

Further, if your wife loses her job, any web sites she is sheltering probably will be shut down even as Security shows her the door. And it is very possible that this activity could be the proximate cause of that.

I am not posting my hosting company name here because I do not need to use this venue for self-promotion.

The only reason i asked the questions was there are a lot of hosting companies offering unlimited this and that

I need a truly reliable hosting company and not afraid to pay the cost for the service/support.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

This has been an interesting thread all round, but I think that it has gone completely off track. I do hope that the original poster got the answers to the questions raised. :w00t:

There are thousands of web-hosts out there, some reputable, some not, and unfortunately it really is only recomendations which can assess a companies quality of service. Some companies sell on price, some sell on features. Its the customers choice which one they want to go for.

There are some forums out there on the web, which are dedicated to discussing webhosts, the biggest, most well-known one being considered more a kindergarton playground than an adult discussion forum. But usually a quick search on Google can reveal good (and sometimes bad) feedback on webhosts. Some people can have very different eperiences with web hosts. One customer may have a brilliant exp, another customer may just not 'gel' with the company and move elsewhere. Unfortunately this is just part of the way we are.

I do, myself, stand by the old adage 'You get what you pay for' as with most things in business. A website I frequent uses a 'free' webhost (read: they don't charge you anything, but litter the site with google ads) who managed to forget to renew their domain, throwing thousands of free websites offline for around 12 hours. Ahh, the joys.

So in conclusion, good webhost companies are out there. Do your research, ask on forums and make sure that the answers you are getting are actually from customers, and not company reps. Also, hosting company forums can be helpful, depending on the level of moderation that goes on (Ie: deleting anything negative) however a good host would leave the thread, and explain the situation.

Thanks.

Guest Dantebuub

JerseyJoe, sorry for any thing I may have caused you or lead you to believe, and when I said most, I said most, because that is sincerely my opinion. Thinking about the ethical and morals that abound int your reply, well you are right, and I will remove my offer and deter from offering anything in the future. Obviously as you do not sincerely know the situation with an employer you do not work with, well you are out of context there, see it is not as you think. All in all you do make a good point and I sincerley wish you the best in your life and business. no last words here, just good luck!

• 3 months later...