3.0.2 to 3.0.3

roban

Guest tbladecki

When someone figures out how to upgrade without overwritting the work that has been done on the 3.0.2 vesion please let us know. I am sure that there is a lot of good changes with the 3.0.3 version, however, I have spent to much time editing and modding my store to upgrade and start over, I would like to see a way to upgrade without having to rework the site to get it back again. Thanks

Ive just spent 2 hours comparing files and folders in CC3.0.3 and mY clients Slighlty modified cubecart 3.0.2 site (yes winmerge will help you compare files and FOLDERS)

Upgrade wen flawlessly....

I took my swee time comparing files and letting winmerge compare unique files in the upgrade and unique files in the 3.0.2 and then ran thru and matched different files

most of which were the license comment in the top of the php files (date and version lines were different)

Only slight prob I had was in my /includes/content/viewCat.inc.php it had been edited with my SEO hack for titles I had to move my meta hack line up a few lines and voila it worked Ive updated the code find replace on the Better SEO topic to reflect this.

Seriously if you are going to mod files

1) Get WInMerge (Its free) GET IT HERE!!!!

2) Comment your changes in the php files

3) keep a list of file names you have edited so when upgrades come out you KNOW to file compare those files First....

4) Backup Back Up BACK UP!!! I have 4 copies of my clients site...

Modding files with out taking these steps is just going to cause you and your client or if you are the site owner GRIEF.... PAIN... SUFFERING... and ridicule... :unsure:

Kinetic

I use TortoiseSVN. It can merge most of the code changes automatically. But its only worth setting up if you're familiar with version control software, and if you're making code changes all over the place.

kinetic, what you said is SOOO true. I used WinMerge this morning on mine and was SOO thankful that I'd commented EVERYTHING as I added it -- both my mods and what I got from Alex.

When I do a mod to a PHP file, I mark it CLEARLY like such:

###########################################################################

#################

// Following line added for Sir William's Category Order Mod

$record["disp_order"] = $db->mySQLSafe("9999");

#################

or when I change a line, I note that too:

#################

// Following line changed for Sir William's Freebie Mod - Add ", TRUE" after "$price"

$view_cart->assign("VAL_IND_PRICE",priceFormat($price, TRUE));

################################################################################

############

When I mod a template or HTML file, I do it with a proper comment:

<!-- ################################################################################

############ -->

Surround your mods like that and you'll have a MUCH easier time later on finding what's been tweaked.

ALSO, if you are going to mod a skin, why make changes to the stock skin templates, images and stylesheets?

Instead, I make a copy of the entire skin folder - say, the "Classic"

Then rename the copy to something descriptive, like "ClassicFulScr" and make all your changes to that folder. Upload it to the skins folder, and you'll find it in the dropdown in ACP under its own name.

Any changes to skins in an upgrade will not touch your modded skins. You can manually upgrade your modded skins later if necessary.

Sir William's topic about modding language statements without changing up the lang.inc files is one of the more important topics posted in a while, where mods are concerned, IMO :unsure:

The BUY button is broken and we get this error message :-

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/32/d20722943/htdocs/shops/stamps/language/dk/config.inc.php:7) in /homepages/32/d20722943/htdocs/shops/stamps/includes/boxes/shoppingCart.inc.php on line 53

People CAN get around it by clicking on MORE then ADD to Basket, but some are already phoning up saying that they can not order

:- http://www.userfriendly-devon.com/shops/stamps