Time to split this section of the forum?

Guest Denver Dave

Guest Denver Dave

Anyone else feel like the topics are whizing by with topics scrolling way down without being resolved? It would be more work to review, but I can't help but wondering if it would be beneficial to split the CC 3 General Support module into sections. Maybe General, Payment, Shipping like how installation was split out. What do others think? Is this forum normaly this active.

Guest theorbo

I'm inclined to agree with you. If you're gone a few hours.... bam! 150 posts.... it's really hard at that point to figure out which ones you might NEED to read, which ones you might be interested in reading, etc.

But if you know you're not having a problem with shipping, and you know you don't know anything valuable about shipping because you've never had a problem with it, and the forum is split into various sub-cats one of which is shipping, you know you don't need to look at that one at all until you have a few hours with nothing to do (yeah right....)

Guest estelle

I also agree :D. Topics go off the end of the page so quickly that the same questions are asked over and over again. Perhaps there would be less repetitive posts if General Support forum was split as Dave suggested?

Guest vrakas

Agree, the posts are coming in way to fast to solve and also (almost) nobody is using the search button from the newbies.

FAQ is also needed to be updated.

a CUBECART 3 hacks and mods sections needs to be split off from the current one as people are requesting mods and posting hacks and mods in a old section rea;lly meant for cubecart 2 splitting up the forum and defining seprate areas for CC3 vs CC2 would be a good thing as well as splitting up general support into more defined categorys

Shipping Help, Payment gateways, Skin Help could be a few

As "they" say, Great Minds Run on the Same Track. I came to the General Support forum tonight to post a new topic suggesting that it should contain a sub-forum for Gateways, with a sub-sub-forum each of the popular Gateways such as PayPal, starting with a pinned tutorial on the differences between the 3 PayPal possibilities, plus tutorials on how to configure each.

Since I'm now about to configure my first PayPal Gateway, I expect that I will have a lot of questions - as well as accumulate a lot of answers, all of which I am willing to resolve into the suggested tutorials and post i after I am done.

I also can see a need for subforums in skining, such as one specific to using PhotoShop to create new graphic elements. I'd be glad to work on that one as well.

I vote for sub-fourms and sub-subs.

All u need to do is use the search correctly to find the answers think logically

rather than putting

PhotoShop to create new graphic elements

try searching for

templates or graphics

pick out the keywords from your questions and then select all forums and any date to get best results

trust me it works ;)

I also can see a need for subforums in skining, such as one specific to using PhotoShop to create new graphic elements. I'd be glad to work on that one as well.

With the many dozens of sites out there dedicated to creating and editing graphics / images in Photoshop, I don't see a point in adding one here. Perhaps what would be of more use would be a "Photoshop Resources" post with links to several different tutorial sites. That could be stickied in the skins forum and help everybody out.

amazing things can be done with Invision Power Boards and spliting up and making new boards/forums for specific areas is a grand idea Im completely familiar with IPB admin and know this is an easy thing to do IPB has sooo many wonderful options, permissions, settings you are only limited by your creativity in setting up your board.

Kinetic

I have a fair amount of experience with managing an IPB. I own a few registered IPBs myself and host a number of them. I've just written to Brooky and suggested that the process start with active and qualified Members agreeing on a suggested list of sub-Forums - and I've offered to do the work of creating them if I'm given the appropriate access to IPB's ACP.

I've also suggested that once those sub-forums have been created, there are Members who would be willing to help the process of moving the varied threads of the current GS forum into the appropriate sub-forums.

In trust that Brooky recognizes the need to upgrade the GS, I'm going to start by offering my own version of the list - and asking that others add a Reply that contains nothing but their own version of a list. Brooky will then have a few lists and decide which ones he wants installed.

So, look at the next Reply and then add your own list..

BUT KEEP IT SIMPLE. Just a list - no rationale.

General Support

- Shipping

- - UPS

- - USPS

- - Royal Mail

- - other shipping methods as needed

- Gateways

- - PayPal

- - other specific Gateways as needed

- Pricing

- - Currency Issues

- - On Sale issues

- Taxes

- Regsitrations

- eMail

- Product Options

- Orders, Notifications, etc.

- Site Promotion and SEO

- Language issues

- Affiliates

- MySQL

- Logs and Stats

Skinning

- New Skins

- Controlling Images

- Controlling Docs

- Controlling Boxes

Showcase

- My New Site

- Monthly Contest

OK - please create your own complete list - or identify tiems that should be added to or removed from the above list.

Guest Denver Dave

It might be best to not have too many sections and only use separate sections when really needed. Certainly Shipping, Gateways, Installation (already present), something to identify version 3 mods, would be helpful. I would just split out sections until the general section is manageable. Also if one of the split outs does not have enough activity, fold it back in.

We certainly need some more sections, but it is best to not have too many, because we would like people who actually have things working to stumble on questions they can answer once in a while.

My opinion based on needing lots of help in lots of forums. :dizzy:

Guest toys4mobiles.com

I also agree we need some more sections.

Although Jerseyjoes list is good (covering all areas), I suspect it may be too many sections (beginners may post incorrectly).

Maybe there should be a vote/survey about this because clearly a number of us would like this... is it just us lot or do others want more sections in the forum?

The FAQs section is in a greater need of an overhaul in my opinion.

Looks like we're giving brooky yet more work!

On reflection, I agree that my list is way too detailed. A simple split into three to five sub-Forums would be a good start.

I've written privately to Brooky offering to help facilitate the re-organizing ansd to try to form a group of experienced users to act as Moderators (the default in IPB for second level administration) who would comb through the CC3 GS forum ands re-assign topics to the new su-Fourms. For those not familiar with administering IPB, it's a pretty simple thing to do, but the work that is needed here can be tedious and repetitous. For that reason, it might be helpful if more than one Moderator work on any specific sub-Forum.

I also suggested that the participants in the work be given access to a private hidden form where the details can be worked out amongst those involved. IPB does a very good job of such an arrangement

Although I have a great deal of IPB experience, I'm sure there are others here who are more qualified than I and if Brooky wants to appoint one of them to administer the reorganization I would still be willing to help at any level requested by that leadership.

His response was that he is extremely busy but did not specifically respond to the offer. It probably would help him look at the idea favorably if he heard that there is a broad base of support from those willi8ng to share the work. Towards that end, those who agree with the need might take the time to send their suggestions to Brooky in PMs.

Joe

I hate to be a "damp rag" but dang - Brooky is busy working at the code and providing support . . . He wrote so to you evidently jerseyjoe . . . and you want to get a group to flood him with PMs? :dizzy:

Yeah, sometimes splitting a section is called for, but how many of the good, active "helper" folk are going to take time to browse 20 freakin' forums here?

I guess you'll have to count me as one who believes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just because all issues aren't solved each time someone posts? It could be that no one really knows the answer, or that the answer has been given umpteen times this month and folk are tired of responding "do a search."

Seems obvious that hacks and mods would benefit from being split, since there is often confusion over which version of CC everyone is referring to. But all the other stuff? Gimme a break!

A better plan would be that if you've worked out a solution to a problem due to the help of the good people of the forum, pay everyone back by writing up a logical, useful tutorial and post it in downloads, so that people who are looking for documentation can find it.

Seems to me that makes more sense than splintering the forum into so many sections you'll be lucky to get a competent visitor in each section more than once or twice a day :)

Guest sunshine

You can't expect a fish to grow if you don't put him in a bigger tank right? Adjustments are needed. I like the idea of offering support to things like Photoshop, Dreamweaver or what have you; it's part of website building and maintenance. If you can make things easier, better and more friendly for fellow members, what's to lose? Yeah, for the senior members that have been around awhile, maybe it's a chaotic compared to what your used to but remember if you expect growth in one area you've got to make everything else fit.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions.

In response to a few comments, in no particular order:

1) Assigning Moderators

These forums have a team of roughly 10 moderators, all of which at this time are active on the board, or who have stated privately that they are away on holiday/vacation. There are guidelines for the Moderators to work to, and as such threads get closed, deleted, moved, pinned, split and merged, all without most peoples knowledge.

2) The moderators do have a section where we can discuss moderation relation topics.

3) The re-organisation of the forums

This has been requested, and mentioned by a lot of people on the board, and is something which Brooky is actively considering. Although, as I have stated in other threads, I think we would all prefer that BRooky concentrates his time on programming, bug fixing and adding features, rather than spend the time, re-organising a forum, which is virtually perfect. Note: I did say virtually and yes I'm sure there can be improvements made in some places, but it all comes with time.

4) FAQ's

Somebody mentioned a lack of FAQ's and mentioned the system wasn't quite brilliant. The FAQ's, if used properly would probably have stopped a few forum threads, and more annoyingly, support tickets for Brooky. The classic, imagecreatefromjpeg() error, to name just one. They are being added to as time goes on, however there will be something to help with the documentation & instructions for the software.

As most of you are aware, CubeCart Version 3 was written from the ground up by Brooky, and is not only very new to all of us, but the Internet as a whole. Because of this, documentation was lacking initially, however over the last few months, hacks, mods and tutorials have been worked on.

How many very reasonably priced, completely skinnable, functional carts with suh a great forum is there? Not many. Yes, OScommerce does have a huge amount of hacks & mods, but how many OsC stores do you see which DONT look the same? Again, not many.

In summary, Brooky is extremely busy, as I'm sure most people on these forums are. If you think that you have a workable suggestion, please feel free to drop me a PM, and I will raise it with Brooky, and see what we can get moving.

Also, should you have a moderation or general forum query, anyone of the Moderators will most likely be able to help you. A list can be found by clicking 'My Assitant' and then 'The Moderating Team'. (However, please do not PM for support, we purely moderate).

I hope this clears up the fact that some of you think these suggestions aren't being heard, or offers accepted, there just sometimes aren't enough hours in the day for one person.

:lol:

(As usual, if anyone has any points to raise or queries regarding any of the above, please PM me).

Kindest Regards,

William Renfrew

(One of the Mods)

My personal opinion is, was and will be.

Rule #1 perform a search before posting anything :D

and rule #2 (should be or my suggestion)

The topic of the post should concentrate on the exact problem so later someone can search and relate to it. ex."shipping problem cannot ship to your country". Instead of "wont send to my county" or whatever is closer to the actual problem. ;)

After reading the posts about this matter, 3/4 of this ends up on SEARCH :lol:

In the hacks and mods section they will be a few changes at least in the titles for now such as "this is a categorie mod for cc2 or for cc3" as this will make it easier to know before d/l for what version it is. :w00t:

Guest EverythingWeb

sunshine,

Actually no. I work for (read: part owner) an Internet Solutions company in the UK, and have quite a number of e-commerce websites in our portfolio. We now solely use CubeCart due to the power & flexibility that it has.

Sarcastic, snide remarks don't get anybody anywhere in life, unfortuantely. However sometimes they do warranty a response to clear up any ill-feeling.

Maybe your comment wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, but unfortunately everybody reads text in a different way, and the internet never has been very good for communicating emotions. Yes yes, the graphics do help 'lighten the mood' a little, however we are all sat behind Keyboards & Monitors so the 'real' us never quite shows through written communication. :lol:

Kindest Regards,

William Renfrew

(in no way affiliated to Devellion Ltd, other than a happy customer)

I dont want to think sunshine ment any harm by posting this, correct?

it was meant to be a joke. So we shall leave it here, ok. :lol:

Yes yes, the graphics do help 'lighten the mood' a little, however we are all sat behind Keyboards & Monitors so the 'real' us never quite shows through written communication.

I agree 100%

Guest sunshine

Sarcastic, snide remarks don't get anybody anywhere in life, unfortuantely. However sometimes they do warranty a response to clear up any ill-feeling.

Maybe your comment wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, but unfortunately everybody reads text in a different way, and the internet never has been very good for communicating emotions. Yes yes, the graphics do help 'lighten the mood' a little, however we are all sat behind Keyboards & Monitors so the 'real' us never quite shows through written communication. 

Kindest Regards,

William Renfrew

(in no way affiliated to Devellion Ltd, other than a happy customer)

Actually, by reading your post and the professional presentation as well as your chosen words, I was originally going to include lawyer as well - THAT was intended to be nothing less than my seeing you were providing a summation of finalism on a group thoughts. I retract that now because a lawyer is much more calculizing in his response. EDIT: As a 'Moderator' your reply is outline and unsuccessful. I'll post a pic in my info so you can see who your talking to at least.

Well, I guess that's the end of that idea.

But I think that those Moderators lack an understanding of the purpose of sub-Forums - and seem to be unware of the huge number of misplaced and off-topic posts that clog up the system.

As for the issue of flooding Brooky, I did not suggest that. I think the (closed) mindset of those who oppose a reorganization of the forums into something more useful is embodied in that egregious chracterization. Unfortunate.

To the contrary, my posting made it clear that the intent was and is to take a burden off him. And the purpose of suggesting input from others is to invite participation in a democratic manner and am offerring to work with those whom Brokky approves of, while avoiding an impression that I was trying to take over.

Sometimes I really dislike groups. The opportunity for misunderstanding and posturing is too enticing for some.

I'll put on my asbestos pants now before clicking on "add reply."

Sorry I have far too much on to even consider this right now.

In my opinion more forums = more moderation and admin hastles.

The undelying problem is that people post whatever they want where they want without searching or looking for the right forums first.

I promise to have a rethink when I have lesser priorities. :lol:

// sorry I'm ranting a bit... loads to do and Dreamweaver 8 seems to crash every 5 minutes today. The FTP in Dreamweaver is absolute crap in my opinion. "Waiting for server..." click cancel "Cancelling...". The bloody canceling alert even have a hide on it! Grrrr. What good is that and why can't it just stop?!?!!?