PayPal PRO Order Failed

Guest ColeFlournoy

Guest ColeFlournoy

If you are new to CubeCart and want to setup a professional looking store - the best and easiest way to do it is paypal. But you probably keep running into errors and have no idea what people are talking about -- if so READ ON!

There are 2 types of setups you can go with for Paypal. IPN is instant payment notification -- with this the user gets redirected to a paypal.com address and is not as seamless, and looks a little more sketchy (b/c the payment is not handled by your site). But it is free. IPN currently does not work out of the box and will require some mods to make it work – if you want to use this method check out http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=11199

*EDIT BY ADMIN* - PayPal IPN works fully in 3.0.5 onwards.

PayPal Pro is not free - it is $20 month but is a better solution than IPN because the customer never leaves your site or sees paypal at all -- it is like ordering something from amazon.com. PayPal Pro is also associated with API - which is the method that your site and paypal together accomplish this.

TO SETUP YOUR STORE SUCESSFULLY WITH PAYPAL PRO:

If you install from fantastico, you will probably have version 3.0.2 and need to do an upgrade. Click Downloads at the top of cubecart.com and upgrade to 3.0.4 or which ever is the newest version. 3.0.2 DOES NOT have the PayPal Pro modules that you need.

Now you need to sign up and get approved by paypal for a business pro account (the one that cost $20/month). This takes a few days for them to review it.

Once you are approved by Paypal you need to go to your paypal account – click profile and then click API access to set up a certificate.

Fill in the information for your certificate, submit it and then download it to your desktop.

You must now upload that certificate to your server and put it in the “pear†directory which is found in the root directory of your store.

You must also CHMOD the tmp directory inside of the “pear†directory to 777 (If you use smart ftp (find at smartftp.com) you just right click the folder and click properties and then set permissions to 777

Now go to your cubecart admin page – click “Gateways†scroll all the way to the bottom and configure both Paypal Direct Payment, and Paypall Express Checkout. For both of these select enable for status, put a description (for Direct Payment type Credit Card), for Gateway Server – put Live, API acct name – go back to paypal.com and go to your profile again and click API access – cut and paste that account name, put your API password in (you should remember this), and select debug – yes, and select default – yes (for direct payment only or whichever payment method you want to be default)

Now your store should be completely ready to take credit cards seamlessly! To test it, just order a test product and then when it works; just refund the money at paypal.com.

Now also note though:

In the customer info window it is really unclear how City/County/State is stated (b/c the developers are from the UK - and PayPal Pro is all US people at the moment) - US people are used to seeing City and State only, not Town and County/State. If the user types their county name (or anything over 2 characters) in the county/state box – when you enter the CC number you get “order failed†error because it puts the entire contents in the abbreviation box when you put the CC number in the next screen.

A way to fix this problem would be to show a better error message to the user for (You did not enter a valid state) And also to modify the customer info screen to make it more clear – And I’m way to tired to try to figure out how to do that!

I really hope this helps all yall newbies out there like me!! I have only been using CubeCart for 2 days and have been VERY frustrated as to why there is no simple info on how to set it up after it is installed!

Cole

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a truly welcome post and long overdue. It's a simple, easy to follow, step by step tutorial on setting up CC for PayPal.

But I have encountered at least one issue that needs clarification.

The tutorial says, "click profile and then cleck API to set up a certificate. Fill in the information . . . " etc.

That's not what I saw just a five minutes ago while trying to setup the API for a client's cart. The API certificate is not as readily available as that instructions suggests.

You must log in to the client account, click on Merchant Tools > API > fill in an application and then PayPal returns a message saying they will contact you within 3 business days to notify you if the request is approved. I can only assume that the remain steps are valid, once you get the Certificate.

BTW, I do agree completely with Cole that CC badly needs a soild user manual and a set of tutorials. Like many others who are supporting CC with registration payments, I'm doing so in the expectation that the funding will hasten that.

With the release of CC3.04 the product is suffueciently mature and feature-rich that it's time for good documentation to become a priority. Until that need is satsfied, in my opinon, further development, other than bug fixes, would have limited value in making realizing its potential as the leader with the greatest installed base.

I think CC is far ahead of everyome else but the messages in the support forum make it clear that docs and illustrated tutorials are long overdue.

Yes -- I too cannot seem to get past the order failed in 3.05 -- I guess we will have to go back to 3.04 and deal with the bugs..

After getting to the brink of abandoning CC (with serious regret) I found a valuable tool for getting PayPal to work.

I am assuming that it is the result of having "debug" turned on in the PayPal config CP. If it's not, then what is that "debug" selection for?

Look on your server in /store/pear/tmp and you'll find a daily log of PayPal transaction. Go thorugh its dog dinner of code to find a failed transaction.. There is a modest but cogent explanation of each error for failed transactions. Fix that error. Test.

In my case, the error that no one could find was that my server needed something called "Curl." As soon a s my Tech Support installed it, PayPal worked.

Guest ColeFlournoy

Yes that is a great tool, however I still in the debug xml file get a cryptic "transaction refused" error. Does anyone have an ideas about that.

As for EvilHommers comment -- this thread has nothing to do with the e-mail fix -- we are just trying to get paypal pro to work.

If you have got 3.0.5 to work with PaypalPro (not ipn) --- please let me know what steps you have taken.

Thanks!

PS - the debug file usally does display very good message like "invalid credit card number" where as CC will display to the user only "order failed" does anyone know how we could take that tag in the debug file and use that for the order screen error message?

Yes that is a great tool, however I still in the debug xml file get a cryptic "transaction refused" error.  Does anyone have an ideas about that.

As for EvilHommers comment -- this thread has nothing to do with the e-mail fix -- we are just trying to get paypal pro to work.

If you have got 3.0.5 to work with PaypalPro (not ipn) --- please let me know what steps you have taken.

Thanks!

PS - the debug file usally does display very good message like "invalid credit card number" where as CC will display to the user only "order failed" does anyone know how we could take that tag in the debug file and use that for the order screen error message?

Where is the debug xml file located?

I agree with you VERY STRONGLY that the order processing error message should be more informative. The current one is the functional equivalent of a growling dog at the doorway. All that a visitor wants to do at that point is leave.

If someone comes up with a mod to insert a more useful error message, I'd like to see that.

Regarding getting PayPal Pro to work . . .

A check list that I sugest for PayPal Pro configuration is

(1) API Certificate Location: is the PP API Cert text properly installed in the tmp file under the correct name? Trusting the CC Admin config message that says it exists there is not enough. The first time I did that config, I went to the server, created the required tmp folder - and even created a file of the required name. But I did not actually copy the API Cert text into it. Crazy time for a while until I looked into the (empty) file.

(2) In the PayPal config, is Enable chosen? I accidentally turned it off by being in that field and then nudging the mouse's scroll wheel. That can change the content of an active drop down field.

(3) Gateway Server: is it Live (same possoble error as #2.

(4) API Account Name: is it the API name - not the regular PP account name? They are definitely different.

(5) API Password: same point as #4. The passwords for the API and the regular PP account are - or at least should be - different.

And of course, do the above for BOTH PayPal configs.

Good luck

Guest ColeFlournoy

OK so I figured out my REAL problem -- and that was my credit card that I used had a problem -- the cryptic "Order Failed" made me think that there was a problem with the cube cart -- but there wasn't

The tutorial at the top still applies and has worked for me for a fresh install of 3.0.5

Guest eproducts

Still failing for me on 3.4.

I have two questions if someone would be so kind.

1. Does the SSL have to be set up BEFORE the cart will work? (Not Fail)

2. My PP payment gateway configs both insist on the key being place in the pear directory, not the pear\tmp. I copied into there additionally but still no go...

:(:blink::cry::(:(:huh::rolleyes:;) :(

Guest eproducts

I was not aware of that...

There has been much discussion regarding shared vs dedicated ssl for this PP Pro module....!?!

If I mannually copy the cert into TMP how does CC retrieve the password. My CC pmt module admin defaults to pear....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ColeFlournoy

Your cert does not go into TMP, it goes into the pear folder.

As for you questions about SSL - I think JersyJoe misstated something. The main benefit of PayPal Pro (vs paypal using IPN) is that the credit card transaction is preformed on your website and the customer is not redirected to paypal -- basically it makes you look professional.

Having SSL in lamens terms means that data is encrypted before it is sent across the network -- if you don't have SSL for cube cart -- the customers credit card info is sent in clear text (easy to read and pick up by anyone on the same network) to paypals servers.

SSL is not necessary to make cube cart work, but it is safer for your users -- and it gives you a much more professional appearance. Many computer novices don't know the first thing about SSL, but when they see the lock in the lower right hand of the internet explorer -- they feel as though they are safe (although in reality that lock really doesn't prove anything)

Hope this helps.

Your cert does not go into TMP, it goes into the pear folder.

As for you questions about SSL - I think JersyJoe misstated something. The main benefit of PayPal Pro (vs paypal using IPN) is that the credit card transaction is preformed on your website and the customer is not redirected to paypal -- basically it makes you look professional.

Having SSL in lamens terms means that data is encrypted before it is sent across the network -- if you don't have SSL for cube cart -- the customers credit card info is sent in clear text (easy to read and pick up by anyone on the same network) to paypals servers.

SSL is not necessary to make cube cart work, but it is safer for your users -- and it gives you a much more professional appearance. Many computer novices don't know the first thing about SSL, but when they see the lock in the lower right hand of the internet explorer -- they feel as though they are safe (although in reality that lock really doesn't prove anything)

Hope this helps.

The PP goes into the tmp folder within Pear.

As for mis-stating, my response was limited to the narrow question asked, it SSL is required. I never intended to comment on its merits. SSL is not required to make the PP API function.

Hope that clarifies my previous comments.

Guest ColeFlournoy

Hi,

Sorry I did not mean to insult you Jersey - I just wanted to clarify that.

As for the paypal cert I must say that it ABSOLUTLY does not go in the pear\tmp folder -- putting the cert in that folder is a major security risk. The cert goes directly in the pear folder - if anyone has put the cert in the tmp folder I recommend you immediately remove it. I won't explain further for obvious reasons, but I could very well prove it to you...

Thanks,

Cole

Guest mpitbull694

what if you need to upgrade but don't know how. i may need to i seen where it says for fantastico i will need to upgrade. how how i do this.

Guest ColeFlournoy

Hi -- I am not sure exactly what you are asking but I'll take my best guess --- if you are upgrading cube cart: Click downloads at the top of this window and download the latest version -- it will include clear instructions on what to do.

Guest daleross

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my direct payment to work with Paypal API. It is recognizing that it is installed. When I go through the check out process it brings up an error and says it failed you can try again by clicking below. When I try again it gives me the same message.

I currently have the store turned off but I turn it on long enough to try a test purchase. Once I get it completely set up I'll turn it on to leave it on.

I also have a SSL certificate but I can't figure out what I need to type in the spaces to get the store to recognize SSL.

My store is located: https://www.DaleRossMinistries.com/CC2

If anyone wants to take a look at it I can turn it on long enough for you to see it.

I have debug turned on.

Thanks,

Dale

Guest ColeFlournoy

Hi,

If you are still having trouble after following my tutorial above, I have told others that I would be glad to debug their PayPal problems for $50. Following the tutorial exactly has got many people a successful install. If you still need help, though – just drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks,

Cole

Guest daleross

Hi ColeFlournoy,

I'm still working on the store and trying to make it work. I may take you up on your offer soon. If I do I'll be sending you an email.

Dale

Guest topdeadcenter

I don't seem to have a tmp folder! Can't find it under the pear directory.

Here is the warning I get after typing in credit card info and hitting continue.

Warning: fopen(/home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/pear/tmp/20051107.PayPal.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/pear/Log/file.php on line 202

Warning: fopen(/home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/pear/tmp/20051107.PayPal.log): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/pear/Log/file.php on line 202

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/pear/Log/file.php:202) in /home/canspeed/public_html/catalog/modules/gateway/DirectPayment/form.inc.php on line 143

I'm using version 3.0.4