Different Index Page Layout

Guest Cyberious

Guest Cyberious

I'm trying to skin a shopping cart that has a different index page, and the rest of the site should use a different layout - but it appears that the index.tpl file populates the rest of the site as well - is there a way to skin the site with a different index page layout?

I don't want to use an index.html page because I still need some of the cart functionality.

Also, I did try searching, but kept getting an error on the search page (menu disabled?) so no topics came up... anyone?

THANKS MUCH!

Cheers ~ :(

Guest Cyberious

I've done that before, but for this particular site "I don't want to use an index.html page because I still need some of the cart functionality."

I appreciate the reply though, thank you anyway.

Anyone else?

: UNRESOLVED :

I did this for a client before not a great solution but it worked.

install ur cart into root directory

eg : www.yoursite.com

then i simply created a new page called home.html and placed a link in first box on left on top of list.

The only downfall was that ne1 typing in web address www.yoursite.com would be taken to cart index page and the customer would have to click the homepage link if they wanted to.

e.h., evidently we are not following this :UNRESOLVED: gent. What he wants is to have CC, with a totally different skin on the index page.

Problem is, index.php carries the whole site through global/index.tpl . . . until you go to cart, then you're in global/cart.tpl

No idea what the specific needs of this setup are (no one explained that part), just want the index page, with cart functionality, to look different than everything else :w00t:

I did this for a client in a funny way as he wanted Flash intro. */*

I redirected the www.domain.com to www.domain.com/flash/ and then when the intro finished it went to the correct site of index under the domain.com

The reason i did it is because he wanted the flash now, but i dont know if he will in the future.

So i only remove the redirection and all is back to normal. :)

Crazy i know but i will not need later to move the whole site :w00t:

@sunshine

Lovely smile you have :zorro:

Guest sunshine

The way Vrakas talks about, sounds like a really great idea. Easy to change, easy to edit, doesn't affect anything else.

@Vrakas, Thank you very much :D

Guest Cyberious

Yes, it's easy to do (Vrakas solution), but unfortunately, this site needs to be indexed high in search engines - and redirects prevent a high PR (bummer)...

I did hear of another solution I'm going to try, just to manipulate the display of the Shopping Cart box though...

I'm told to place an if statement around shoppingCart.inc.php -

if(isset($GET['act'])){

}

If this works I'll let you know. Going to give it a try and test.

Thanks everyone! This seems to be turning into a hot issue, and I'm sure many people out there want more control, so this solution would be ideal - will post with results soon.

:: UPDATE ::

Ok, that didn't work - well, it did, but then the Currency selection box appeared there in it's place... I'm still working on a solution.

Guest sunshine

Cyberious,

Interesting you say. I started to reply thinking that was high on your consideration. Google doesn't like redirects BUT more search engines including Google do index php. more so than they let on.

Guest Cyberious

Yes, search engines do index PHP pages, so that's not a problem. It's the Redirect that causes the problem. They do not like redirects overall. I wouldn't take a chance with it, mainly because so many sites have been dropped using redirects- but this is way off topic, so I'll stop here before I bore everyone :D

Guest sunshine

Cyberious,

I'm sorry I can't help you there but maybe another method as well to think, of are mod_rewrite to have your host throw (create) permanent move. Good Luck