The Shared SSL Run-Around...

Guest internetpilot

Guest internetpilot

Oi, my head! I'm getting the shared SSL run-around when it comes to getting CubeCart (now 3.0.5) working with shared SSL. I've searched the forums, read all the SSL related threads I could find (which is admittedly difficult when the "SSL" is too short of a word for the search engine). However, I still cannot get SSL working. My host provider keeps shuffling me back to the "software developer" (ie, CubeCart), but I'm personally thinking that my host provider just can't seem to provide me with the correct information for the config.

This is what showed up during the install process:

Store URL: http://www.domain.com

Server Root Directory: /weird/long/seemingly/random/www

Site Root Relative Path: /

Here is what's in my global.inc.php file:

$glob['rootDir'] = '/weird/long/seemingly/random/www';

$glob['rootRel'] = '/';

$glob['storeURL'] = 'http://www.domain.com';

Here is what I'm putting in the SSL config area of the admin per the advice of my host provider:

1. Root Secure Public HTML Folder: /

2. Absolute Secure URL to Store: https://domain.sslpowered.com

3. Server Secure Root Directory: /weird/long/seemingly/random/www

For #1, I have also tried "/www/" and "www" and "www/" -- all at the advice of my host provider. The "sslpowered.com" in #2 is the actual shared SSL that I use.

Whenever I use any of the above settings, enable SSL, and the try to view the shopping cart or go back into the admin module, after several minutes of "churning" I get a "page not found" error. Obviously something isn't set right or CubeCart just doesn't like this type of shared SSL or...something....

I'm at wits end. Anyone see anything obvious or have any suggstions?

Here's the part that's strange to me -- I've tried several other shopping cart apps before I heard about CubeCart, and this same shared SSL configuration worked fine with the other carts. I really, really like CubeCart and want to use it, pay for it, etc., but I can't use it if I can't get SSL working.

Please help me...please, oh, please, oh, please!

-- Chris

Guest internetpilot

Hmmm...I'm beginning to wonder how many people actually use CubeCart with a shared SSL -- it doesn't appear that many do.

My host provider is questioning whether or not CubeCart can be run on a shared server and/or shared SSL. They provided me with two new entries for the SSL config in CubeCart, but it still does not work. Just logically looking at what they suggested told me it wouldn't work, as it wasn't getting to the WWW directory.

Anyway....

Looking at this myself, I noticed that when I set up SSL in CubeCart as outlined above, enable it, go to my store, add the sample item to the cart, and then click View Cart, CubeCart tries to go to the following URL (and eventually gets a page cannot be found error):

http://www.domain.com/cart.php?act=cart

Shouldn't it be trying to go to:

https://domain.sslpowered.com/cart.php?act=cart

It seems as though CubeCart is not taking, liking, whatever, my shared SSL URL.

-- Chris

Guest toys4mobiles.com

I have read a thread that states 3.04 does not work with shared SSL's. Brooky was looking at getting this working... not sure if it made it in the 3.05 version though.

Hope that helps a bit... even if it's not exactly what you want to hear.

Guest sunshine

Hi InternetPilot,

I don't have shared SSL but it should be pretty much the same. This was posted previously by Kinetic. highlighted in red is what it the input should be

Root SECURE Public HTML Folder to store: (Include Trailing Slash) : /

Absolute SECURE URL to store https://yoursite.com

***PLEASE NOTE HERE: if your shop is locate in a folder ex: www/yoursite.com/shop the you would include /shop to the above.

Server SECURE Root Directory: /home/yourhostsignname/public_html

Hope this helps.

I inquired with my ISP about the shared SSL and received the following reply:

There is actually nothing you need to configure in order to use the shared SSL

The url for your pages secured on the shared SSL certificate would be

https://your virtual host machine/your username/page.html

Please Note, Shared SSL will not function with ASP, JSP or PHP pages. It will

function only with html, and cgi/perl based documents/scripts/carts. This is

due to security restrictions on the servers.

Klaus Cook

Houston, Texas

Guest merlintx1969

Hi Chris, I see your making friends again...

still cant seem to get that little bit of tact figured out.....

Best of luck with your new venture at this rate your gonna run out of carts.

IO currently setup a new release of cubecart on a shared ssl and it creats a language.inc error and wont add anything to the cart.

Guest sunshine

Hi CaseyC

As far as I know, Shared SSL may not be do-able with some carts, not just CC. For CC, it is configured enable secure comunication when the customer inputs personal data. By inputting your SSL cert information and turn the SSL on. via the Admin panel, there is nothing else you need to do. CC does the rest,-auto turn on/off for the SSL mode. Before I input the SSL into Admin, I tried just typing in https://mysite.cm and it doesn't work. It needs to be input into CC.

Guest internetpilot

After talking more with my host provider it doesn't appear that CubeCart will work with a shared SSL -- at least not the one provided by my host provider. They offer a prepackaged OSCommerce solution that works fine with the shared SSL and Zen Cart works as well, but support for both of those products if significantly inferior to the support offered here at CubeCart. I wish it would've worked, as I really like the "robust simplicity" (as I call it) of CubeCart, but it looks like I'm going to have to pay the big bucks to go with something that will fully support PayPal Website Payments Pro (OSCommerce and Zen Cart do not and will not for the foreseeable future), and CubeCart won't play nicely with my shared SSL. Just didn't work out.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone has offered on this and other threads. This is a really good group, and I will not hesitate to recommend this cart to others purely based on the great support community here.

-- Chris

Guest internetpilot

Hi Chris, I see your making friends again...

still cant seem to get that little bit of tact figured out.....

Best of luck with your new venture at this rate your gonna run out of carts.

IO currently setup a new release of cubecart on a shared ssl and it creats a language.inc error and wont add anything to the cart.

Hi, MerlinPA1969...uh...I mean MerlinTX1969. Are you stalking me? Allow me to introduce a certifiable Zen Cart zealot, folks. Not sure why he's here, but I'm sure it's not going to be good. Forum moderators, be at your ready!

Truth be known, I am making friends here, and my CubeCart support experiences have been quite nice. The developer is very responsive and professional, and appears to be implementing new features and fixes very frequently, rather than taking 8-12 months off from new development to "reorganize the code". I guess CubeCart was simply written properly in the first place, so such a significant "reorganization" just isn't required.

Thanks for checking on me. Good luck back at the Zen Cart forums!

-- Chris

Guest merlintx1969

Im not here to start problems pilot,

as a matter of fact this is my last comment to you,

I have been a member of this forum for quite a long time,

If you look you will see that I was backing up your statement about it not working,

Guest internetpilot

My host provider cannot use dedicated SSL certs. They have a sister or parenty company that provides dedicated (and much more expensive) hosting that allows for a dedicated SSL, but I'm not anywhere near that point with my store, and it really be overkill. I'm still just a shared hosting/SSL kind of store. Howver, I really appreciate the information and have bookmarked your recommendation for inevitable future reference. That's a good deal for sure!

-- Chris

Guest merlintx1969

Chris, if you need hosting for your cart pick up the dedicated ssl from where ever it was that was suggested 16 for a year is a good deal. I charge $50 installed.

and I will offer you a hosting package for a very reasonable price.

I want to stop the crap going on between us, I am done fighting

Guest supplymasters

I had the same problem. My hosting is with beglobal.com.

For an extra $2.00 a month they have give me a static I.P address (as apposed to dynamic) which sorted out the problem.

C

Guest internetpilot

Chris, if you need hosting for your cart pick up the dedicated ssl from where ever it was that was suggested 16 for a year is a good deal. I charge $50 installed.

and I will offer you a hosting package for a very reasonable price.

I want to stop the crap going on between us, I am done fighting

Thank you for the offer, but I am very satisfied with my host provider.

I look at it that CubeCart (and Zen Cart) just are not a good match for my choice of payment gateways, and shared SSL/hosting. It's all good -- it's just unfortunate because I am very impressed with CubeCart (and Zen Cart prior to that).

Thank you again for the offer.

-- Chris

Guest oldskool2

i have the same problem , the big question here for me is ok the shared ssl doesnt work , and a static ip solves this problem which is great , but how do i get back into my admin page to reconfigure the site.

Guest internetpilot

i have the same problem , the big question here for me is ok the shared ssl doesnt work , and a static ip solves this problem which is great , but how do i get back into my admin page to reconfigure the site.

Download the Editconf.php utility, which will allow you to turn off the SSL toggle. It's in the tools section of the download area. Used that thing WAY too many times trying all the suggestions from my host provider! :w00t:

Guest GoodLiteCandles

Okay I have a question.

I use authorize.net as my gateway. And when you are checking out and it transfers you to the authorize.net page to get the credit card information, they have their own SSL.

Okay.

So that means that the SSL that I purchased would only be used for the Cube Cart pages. And that's pretty much only names and addresses. No credit card information.

So. Do I really need to set up an SSL since my credit card information is secure through authorize,net.? Or is it still a good idea to have it so I protect the customer's general information also?

Guest merlintx1969

it is still a good idea to have your own certificate

I dont know if its available here but using the authorize.net AIM service is a more professional look and its no extra.

it just allows the user to stay on your site