The Shared SSL Run-Around...

Guest internetpilot

Guest GoodLiteCandles

Okay.

Now all I need to do is get it working with the freaking admin :)

This is the last big problem I have to fix and it seems as though it'll never work for me.

Guest sunshine

Hi GoodLiteCandles.

If you have your own cert now, you need to ask your Hosting Provider if they can install it for you onto your account, then you can use it within admin. If you try to install it into your admin without being in your host account, it won't work.

Guest GoodLiteCandles

I believe they have installed it. I paid them an installation fee.

When they asked where to install it I said to install it to www.goodlitecandles.com/shop

Should I have had them install it to www.goodlitecandles.com and then it would work everywhere?

Guest sunshine

Should I have had them install it to www.goodlitecandles.com and then it would work everywhere?

That's how I have it, so when I sign in to admin, it automatically goes to https://. Also, any folder beyond .com gets secured if need be. I notice, is let's say your a customer shopping but haven't signed in or anything, when your browsing the shop then decide to 'view cart', it automatically goes to secure mode :w00t:

Have you tried to login to yur admin and see if you get the secure connection.

Guest GoodLiteCandles

Well that helps a lot as to why the shop gets secure but I cant log into the admin.

I will contact my hosting provider and have them change where it's installed.

Let's hope this makes it run perfectly.

Thanks!

Guest GoodLiteCandles

Have you tried to login to yur admin and see if you get the secure connection.

When I go to my admin I dont get any secure connection.

Why is this? Do I have to talk to my host provider about this? Because they told me it's my whole site that has the SSL.

I just did an upgrade to 3.0.5.

I really need to get this working correctly.

Guest sunshine

HI GoodLiteCandles,

If your SSL is for www.goodlitecandles.com then anything thereafter can be secured with your SSL ie. your admin area (www.goodlitecandles.com/admin) but if you got your SSL with some other extension shop that could be the problem if you happen to have CC at the root of your folder which, if I can remeber, you do (you know it's at the root when you go to your main mage and it only says www.googlitecandles.com with no /shop after that. Maybe you should try www.goodlitecandles.com/shop/admin to see what happens.

If that doesn't work doublecheck with with them on how they set it up. Didn't they send you an email with all the info of your cert in there? check that.

Guest internetpilot

Let me retract my "goodbye" message -- I really would like to use CubeCart, so I'm revisiting the problem, trying to find a solution. I did come up with some things that seem a little strange to me.

I have a new install of 3.0.5, this time I put it in a folder named "store" off the WWW root. I figured it was worth a try moving it off the root. Remember, I have shared hosting and a shared SSL. My regular config is as follows:

Store URL: http://www.domain.com/store

Server Root Directory: /mnt/web_e/d41/s17/XXXXXXX/www/store

Site Root Relative Path: /store/

I entered the three SSL config fields as follows:

Root Secure Public HTML Folder: /store/

Absolute Secure URL to Store: https://domain.sslpowered.com/store

Server Secure Root Directory: /mnt/web_e/d41/s17/XXXXXXX/www/store

It's my understanding that CubeCart will go to the SSL site whenever I add an item to the shopping cart and then click the View Cart button (or if I go to the admin functions), correct? (feel free to correct/contradict me here, as I know very little about the guts of SSL) However, when I click on View Cart, it just attempts to go to the normal site (and I get a page cannot be displayed error) rather than the SSL. This is where it's attempting to go:

http://www.domain.com/store/cart.php?act=cart

But with the above SSL configuration, shouldn't it be trying to go here:

https://domain.sslpowered.com/store/cart.php?act=cart

If I go directly to https://domain.sslpowered.com/store/ the store displays just fine. However, if I then click on View Cart, it does actually attempt to go to https://domain.sslpowered.com/store/cart.php?act=cart, but after churning for a while on that URL it just goes to the same page cannot be displayed error.

Does this tell anyone anything? I'm at a loss because I do not fully understand what is supposed to go on behind the scenes. It seems to me that the SSL configuration entries are not being passed on properly, because the basic store works just fine on the SSL site, but any of the functions that are supposed to be secured fail, even when starting from the https://domain.sslpowered.com/store site. For what it's worth, I have no problem with the cart when SSL is not enabled.

Thanks for any help or thoughts anyone can provide. I really want to use CubeCart, but I can't do it without SSL. Again, this same shared SSL works fine with three other carts and a couple of other apps that I've tried. It just seems weird (and annoyingly ironic!) that it won't work with CubeCart.

-- Chris

Guest GoodLiteCandles

my admin is accessed through:

www.goodlitecandles.com/shop/admin

my cart is accessed through:

www.goodlitecandles.com/shop

I asked the other day and my host provider said that the SSL is through my whole site. But I emailed them again today to make sure that was the case and told them that I couldnt get my admin to show up after I enabled the SSL.

Again, here are the settings I used in Cube Cart to set up the SSL:

Root SECURE Public HTML Folder to store: /

Absolute SECURE URL to store: https://www.goodlitecandles.com/shop

Server SECURE Root Directory: /home/goodl2/public_html/shop

I tried it with the root directory as above and also as /home/goodl2/public_html. Neither worked.

This really baffles me because even my host provider went into my cube cart admin to see if he could put in the correct settings and it wouldnt work.

Now remember, my cart works great with the SSL, it's only the admin that wont work. (and I'm sorry if I keep repeating myself with all of this)

Guest sunshine

Hi InternetPilot,

Happy to hear your staying. To answer you simply on why some carts work and some don't, well that's because you get what you pay for and don't pay for. With CC regardless of whether you own the license or not, it's the same script. Now who would be willing to purcahse a cart that is not reason reasonbly safe?

cC moves in out of SSL mode ina way that is automatic for the shop(the way Brooky designed it) because I surely don't know how to tweak that area. Which leads me to say, not having the SSL designed for the root of the store, I think could be a problem because of the switching back/forth i.e. viewing cart and shopping. What this all means is order SSL for your site, like www.googlitecandles.com but the SETUP for SSL within admin would be slightly different ie. if you have shop.

I hope that makes sense.

Gotta run ;)

Guest GoodLiteCandles

I got the problem fixed. My host server went into my admin and looked at the settings for me

And what he did was for the Root SECURE Public HTML Folder to store: everyone said to put / but that was the problem. For me it needed to be /shop/

Simple as that. I hate when it's that simple. But it's working and now I'm very happy.

Guest ColeFlournoy

Hi -- after the battle that fixed mine too!

I am using a real cert but have been looking and looking for the documentation to set it up (documentation still seems to be down the road a bit for CC3...)

For me this works:

Root SECURE: /sales/

Absolute SECURE: https://mydomain.com/sales

Server SECURE: /home2/myusername/public_html/sales

Note** - A problem I had was that for mine it had to be /home2/ not /home/ like most -- I looked under Misc -- Server Info (in the CC3 admin) to find this out...

Guest internetpilot

Several people have mentioned in the various shared SSL related threads here that some shared SSLs might not work with any PHP app. Any of you more techie types -- would using PHP5 instead of PHP4 improve those chances? And if so, will CubeCart run on PHP5?

I'm just curious as I noticed when delving into the control panel of my shared hosting account, I noticed that I could elect to use PHP4 or PHP5, and was wondering if it could possibly help my shared SSL situation.

Thanks!

-- Chris

I sort of got it working on shared SSL. The problem is it loses the session when I view basket and says my cart is empty. :)

Actually, let me correct that, what is happenig is I can login and it works, but as soon as I go back home or something and leave SSL, the login is lost.

Guest internetpilot

Festus, that is the specific shared SSL related problem that v3.0.5 was supposed to be addressing. Are you using an older version?

My problem is likely more basic -- CubeCart and my shared SSL just don't seem to like each other very much.

-- Chris

Guest internetpilot

Festus, that is the specific shared SSL related problem that v3.0.5 was supposed to be addressing. Are you using an older version?

Yeah I double checked and it is v3.0.5 in the admin. I just downloaded it fresh Saturday night too.

Hmmm...me thinks that the shared SSL issues mayhaps were not fixed as much as originally thought. B)

Oh, well.

-- Chris

Guest internetpilot

I posted this on this other thread, but also wanted to post it here in case anyone looking into shared SSL wondered what happened with my situation. The other thread also has additional information about getting SSL working, but I ended up with cookie/session problems after that.

Well, it looks like I'm dead-ended again. My host provider was trying to be helpful, but ironically they ended up referring me back to the CubeCart forum...directly to this very thread which I started (haha). They then replied that they basically do not offer a shared SSL configuration that satisfies what CubeCart is looking for. Maybe they'll offer it in the near future as more and more people find CubeCart and (like me) find it a much more appealing cart than others that are available.

Oh, well. Thanks to everyone for trying. I'll continue to watch the forums and future upgrades in hope that someone gets it working with a shared SSL and/or a future version is released that is more shared SSL friendly.

-- Chris