Here are the "Manual Upgrade Instructions"

Guest AmeFa

*****This has been updated to include your images as well******

These directions are NOT by brooky and I do nto take ANY responsibility for anything lost by following these directions. However, this is how I did it and I did not use instructions (shop is working fine, shopping.amefas.com for view). Even so, I strongly encourage you to make a backup of your cubecart before starting step 1.

For easier explanation I will refer to your current cube cart as 'directory a' and .5 cubecart as 'directory b'. I will also reffer to the temporary storage directory as cubecart. References made to * indicate languages (ie. en, es, se, sk). For explanation of ** see botom of post.

Step by step:

1. Copy directory A to any other place.

2. Create a directory with any name (ie. Cubecart)

3. Upload and unzip cubecart .5 into cubecart.

4. Find includes/global.inc.php in cubecart/upload and delete

5. Find /includes/global.inc.php in directory A and move to cubecart/upload/includes/

5. Find /install in cubecart/upload and delete **

6. Find /install in directory A and move to cubecart/upload

[ From here you can chose two different paths. Path 2 is a lot quicker, but I have not tested it. Path 1 works for sure.

Path 1:

1. Find/Remember ALL languages that you have set as enabled in your cubecart/upload and find /language/

2. Open up the first language you have enabled in /language (directory a) and copy the file contents of home.inc.php (ctrl+c)

3. Open up the corresponding language and find home.inc.php in cubecart/upload and overwrite the current file contents with the copied text from step 8.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all home.inc.php files have been restored into cubecart/upload.

Path 2:

1. Delete cubecart/upload/language

2. Copy directory a/language to cubecart/

End Paths

--- Start with step 7 when you have completed either path ---

7. Delete cubecart/upload/images

8. Move directory a/images/ to cubecart/upload

9. Move cubecart/upload to /public_html (or whichever directory is publically on display)

10. Move cubecart/upgrade/scripts/3.0.4-3.0.5/upgrade.php to upload

11. At this point I would rename upload to whatever the name of directory a is

12. Open up your new directory a and run /upgrade.php

Thats it! I know a lot of you have extra mods and stuff; but from what I can see all.4 mods will work with .5; so simply 'move' your mods to directory a. Im aware that these aren't persay 'manual' instructions. But they are a little bit more clear than the auto method...Its a little bit mind jogging to figure out when to do what without directions. I hope this helps.

Yours,

AmeFas

** You may want to back this up before deleteing, just in case.

Guest EverythingWeb

AmeFas,

Thanks for these instructions. I have pinned this topic, in the hope that this will help out those people struggling with manual upgrades.

Thanks!!

Guest GoodLiteCandles

5. Find /install in cubecart/upload and delete **

6. Find /install in directory A and move to cubecart/upload

[ From here you can chose two different paths. Path 2 is a lot quicker, but I have not tested it. Path 1 works for sure.

What if there is no install folder in my original directory?

Is that because I installed it from Fantastico?

@GoodLiteCandles

If you look in the zip file of 3.05 and all cc3x you will find the install directory.

When you upload, this is also included.

Hope this helps ;)

Guest GoodLiteCandles

Yeah I realized the purpose of it and that it needed to be deleted after installed.

Sometimes I like to ask things before I realize the purpose.

Thanks though.

Thats Ok...One of the best ways to learn is to ask. Don't be sorry :rolleyes:

@EverythingWeb

It took me long enough to upgrade and figure out how to do what, I figure its enough for one person to go through it. Doing what I can to help :) Thanks for pinning!

Cube Cart is one of a number of apps that use an installation script in a folder called "install." It's a common practice for forums, guest books, etc that involve PHP/MySQL. And each strongly suggests that you delete the folder after installation in order to remove the vulnerability that leaving it there allows. Cube Cart goes on step further and cleverly declines to complete the installation until the vulnerability is mediated.

Re-naming the folder is an alternative to removal. It acccomplishes the same purpose as deletion but allows you to return and do a reinstallation if you encounter problems. Just chose an alpha-numeric word as obscure as a good password.

Thanks for the upgrade script. Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, you are right; but why would you want to do that when you can simply reload cubecart to your server and install it. You do how you do, but I don't want to be vulnerable just because something MIGHT happen.

No problem for the script.

Yeah, you are right; but why would you want to do that when you can simply reload cubecart to your server and install it. You do how you do, but I don't want to be vulnerable just because something MIGHT happen.

No problem for the script.

I should have made myself clear. I am not suggesting you leave it with a changed folder name permanently. I'm only suggesting that it be done temporarily until you know the CC is installed.

There is a step, not clear in the Install script, I think from 4 to 5, where you get an error notice if you have not removed the Install file. But, at this point, there are other errors possible.

If you remove Install to avoid the expected error notice, but encounter an error resulting from a bad installation or a corrupted upload (it happened to me only the other day) you then must stop what you are doing, reup the install file and fool around until you find the error. By renaming, for a few minutes, you can avoid that step.

When you are done and have a functioning CC, THEN remove the Install file.

• 1 month later...

does it mean by doing your method, my store will still retain its original design and products? or i will need to redo my store from scratch again? thanks.

i am currently planning to use Sir William's method. which is to run the upgrade.php file first and then uploading the 3.06 files. but i am afraid i will lose my original design etc. pretty confused now..

or can i combine Sir William's method and yours together? Means i run the upgrade.php file first. and then follow your method.

all is technicaly needed in an upgrade installation is to Open the upload directory in the cc zip, find and delete global.inc.php, then go into each language folder and find and delete each home.inc.php file...

Then upload the whole upload directory contents into your store root, and run the upload script... telling your FTP program that is is OK to overwrite the files... (NOTE only overwrite the files DONT delete the entire directoy before uploading)

DONE!!! you have the new CC version with all you language edits products catagories and styles... Nothing else is needed...