cant change homepage

Guest kontroversy

Guest netwizard

You may want to make sure that the necessary file is writable (mode 777)

When you make the update, look for the confirmation message up the top. It should tell you what file needs to be changed.

Guest netwizard

Not off hand sorry, but hang around, someone is bound to know.

Otherwise, just make the update and look for the error message. It should contain the filename.

Very good netwizard ;)

Go to language/en/home.inc.php

/en/ or whatever the language you want to change.

Remember to set them back to 644 when you are finished :)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest davebrum

ok sorry to sound thick here but I have only just installed this program

I am having this hassle too - HOW do i edit th e document properties? The document properties button on the hompage updating page wont let me press it - and im not sure how to get to the file to right click it to change them! I tried down loading the file off the server using WS FTP but then it didnt give me any options with any such numbers in.

ok sorry to sound thick here but I have only just installed this program

I am having this hassle too - HOW do i edit th e document properties? The document properties button on the hompage updating page wont let me press it - and im not sure how to get to the file to right click it to change them! I tried down loading the file off the server using WS FTP but then it didnt give me any options with any such numbers in.

Go to language/en/home.inc.php in WS FTP right click. Choose properties and then change the highlighted number to 777.

Edit the homepage then return to WS FTP and do the same again but change the 777 to 644.

I hope that's what you were asking!

Guest davebrum

thanks for the reply - but in WS FTP whjen you right click on the file ther eis no option called properties or anything similiar to it - hence my original problem.

Any other ideas how to access the properties of the file - either on the server - or if i download it on to my desktop using ws ftp? When it is on my srever and i right click it brings up a properlies option but ther is no where that shows numbers that relate to what were mentioned here.

Guest degsey69

Are you using WS FTP or one supplied by the ISP in your CPanel, It is best to try a FTP programe from your computer and change the code with it.

Also there is a problem with some ISP's that you can not chnge the code of the file due to their security restrictions on the servers, check with them and tell them what you are trying to do.

By the way you are looking for the option when right clicking of CHMODE. :D

davebrum

When you right click on the file on the server side, on the very bottom of the list is properties. Left click on that to see the chmod.

Is your host running Cpanel? If so use the file manager to chmod.

Guest davebrum

Thanks for the help folks - i managed it with cpanel :huh:

Though properties were acrtualy under a title of Change permissions after clicking on the file - and having to tick all the boxes in the grid of 9 that appears then select change ;)

I think i have a very steep learning curve ahead of me now . . . .

just got to go and work out how to make it put my logo on the shop instead of the cube cart one . .

• 3 weeks later...

hi there, i just installed cube cart and am having the same problem changing the hompage text. I have read the above information and it makes little sence to me as i am new to this. how do i change the text i have no idea about ftp or the language/en/home.inc.php that has been mentioned... how do i go to it?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...
Guest topgear

I'm defo thick don't know what everyone is talking about still can't fix problem don't even now where to start all just double dutch as this is the first web site\shop i've ever built HELP

Guest groovejuice

If the previous explanations don't make any sense to you, I would humbly suggest that you hook up with a friend who has (at least) intermediate knowledge of HTML, CSS and web hosting, who can demonstrate some of these things to you in person. Alternatively, there are some very good introductory manuals available. In the meantime, your webhost should be able to assist you with 'changing permissions' on your own site, and may even have a tutorial on their website that covers this topic. I've found Cube cart to be generally very user friendly, but that presupposes you have some experience in the above areas. I know once one has some solid, basic knowledge of web coding and design, these forums become much more meaningful and helpful. :P

I'm a newbie too, and Dutch also... not every word in English is understandable to me. But I'm trying and trying. I've found where I can change 0644 to 0777, but it is still not working for me... <sniff> What is the next solution?

greetings,

Anna

Guest topgear

I Finaly sorted mine out took a bit of doing but got there even got a new logo on it, now all i want to do is put more logo's on home page etc, how do I do that ???

If the previous explanations don't make any sense to you, I would humbly suggest that you hook up with a friend who has (at least) intermediate knowledge of HTML, CSS and web hosting, who can demonstrate some of these things to you in person. Alternatively, there are some very good introductory manuals available. In the meantime, your webhost should be able to assist you with 'changing permissions' on your own site, and may even have a tutorial on their website that covers this topic. I've found Cube cart to be generally very user friendly, but that presupposes you have some experience in the above areas. I know once one has some solid, basic knowledge of web coding and design, these forums become much more meaningful and helpful. */*

Go and get smartftp download via search engine and it will help, i just browsed each folder until i came accroos he one's I nned to cahnge and changed file properties in Chmod nad edit it took a few goes but gor tthere in the end

• 1 month later...
Guest freelight

Thanks a million for the info - it really helped. I always seem to find the answers here - so thanks to the contributors who know so much and are willing to share.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest silvery

Hi there, i installed cube cart via fantastico.

i am having this same problem...t

he language.php file is blank page . I cannot figure out how to acess the properties and files as cubecart is pre-installed..

I am also trying to up load some basic mods but cannot acess the files..

i have cpanel & file manager does not show the above files...can any one help please?

• 1 month later...
Guest Decbeck

hi i allso foudn another way. Goto FTP. and then right mouse click on /home.inc.php.

Then you should see a kind of coding box come up well. Deleate the text on hompage that you see and put your own in it worked for me. :w00t:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest PattyD

Hi all,

I'm new here too.. and having a problem trying to edit the homepage. I am using the cPanel with cube cart, so I'm not real sure how to do this.

If someone would, point me in the direction to get this done, It would be a great help!

Thanks,

Patty

• 2 weeks later...
Guest vfilipski

Aha!

Go to language/en/home.inc.php

Right click on home.inc.php properties

Set permissions to 0777 in stead off 0644

THANK you so much for this! I thought I was losing it.