Digital Downloads

Guest SheScraps

Guest SheScraps

I just read the tutorial on how to configure CC for digital downloads. My question is...can I configure it to give the customer multiple zip file links once they have purchased the goods? My digital products are so large that they have to be split up in mulitiple files. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank You!

Guest SheScraps

Hmm...there's a thought. So just create an html page for all of my products that lists the download files and then insert that link as my digital download path when adding the products? Could I still use that more secure way of listing the download so that not everyone could find it. Sorry can't remember the proper name for it, I think it's something like server root path...

or it could be a ZIP file with the links in it but the download link will never expire as the zip file is the real link.

You will have to keep changing the download folder.

Not a very practical solution :)

You have me thinkng :unsure:

I think it's something like server root path...

look here

Guest groovejuice

I'm really suggesting using the html page for multiple links for a single item that needs to be split due to file size. If you have more than one of these, I'd create a separate page for each. Single file downloads can still be a direct link to the file. The root server path is a much safer route. Also, there are applications that will obfuscate the directory/ folder names so the actual url is not displayed to the customer.

Well, I'm not sure how this will work. If your files are not in a public folder, for example, /home/username/downloads/zipfiles.zip, how can you put a link in a public HTML page over to them? Oh, nevermind, I think I have the answer :unsure:

EXAMPLE: You have a download in three parts, zip1.zip, zip2.zip, zip3.zip

1. Create a folder on root server path, e.g., /home/username/digidownloads/

2. Place all zip files in that folder.

3. Create an HTML page for each group of downloads, in this example theseThreeZips.html which has links for each file, and place in the same directory as the three zip files. Links look like <a href="zip1.zip>File One</a>

4. Use path when adding product like /home/username/digidownloads/theseThreeZips.html

That should work, and keep everything secure :)

If anyone tries this, please post results. If this works, I'll want to add a section on multiple download files to my tutorial in the downloads area.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest darrylxx

What if a customer purchases 2 or 3 products that require downloads?

What happens at the end of the transaction? Are they taken to one download screen at a time?

Guest darrylxx

what happens if there are several digital files purchased?

Once the sale is completed what type of screen are they taken to?

A page with several links or one large download?

Guest darrylxx

oh they get it via e mail. That is PERFECT

Thank you

Do you know if that link can be downloaded by several people? or is there a way to go in and make sure that it cannot by only allowing one ip?

My ONLY concern woudl be them simply forwarding the link to all of their friends.

You specify the amount of times it can be downloaded and yes they can download it.

If you specify 1 time then only once they can d/l but if the d/l is interupted then they cannot d/l it again.

• 9 months later...

I attempted to use this method to allow a customer to download multiple mp3 files if they purchase the entire album as one item in the store. It did not work... Here is what I did:

All the mp3 files for the album are located in a DOWNLOAD folder. In that folder I also created an HTML file that contained the following:

<a href="song1.mp3">Song 01</a>

<a href="song2.mp3">Song 02</a>

<a href="song3.mp3">Song 03</a>

When the customer purchases the entire album, they get the link to download the above HTML file. When they open the file, it comes up with an Error 404 File Not Found. It is looking for the mp3 files in the directory to which they downloaded the HTML file, not on my server.

What am I doing wrong? Also, I want to make sure that my files are secure. I have placed my DOWNLOAD folder before my website public files on the server.

Thanks for the input.

Guest groovejuice

You have a couple of options for this. The easiest is to place all the mp3s into one zip file. The customer can download this file and unzip it on their PC. This of course is fine for any intermediate computer user, but a noob will need instructions and possibly a unzip utility. Alternatively, there may be a mod at cubecart.org that allows for multiple downloads.

You have a couple of options for this. The easiest is to place all the mp3s into one zip file. The customer can download this file and unzip it on their PC. This of course is fine for any intermediate computer user, but a noob will need instructions and possibly a unzip utility. Alternatively, there may be a mod at cubecart.org that allows for multiple downloads.

What about a self-extracting zip file? Does anyone know how to create such a monster?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest webgurl

Sir Will says...

Once they've paid, they will get an e-mail with a download link for each digital product purchased.

I have successfully set-up my paypal as I am getting the payment on my test digital product.

However, I am not getting (as the test customer) any email notficiation on my purhcase.

Can someone help answer these questions please ;)

1. is the email notification to the customer (supposed to be) automatic? If so, where do I find the documentation on how to set that up.

2. if it's not automatic, can I at least set-up an email autorespond that says, thanks for your purchase

I'm sorry if I've missed this - maybe I scanned over the documentation too quickly.... no matter, any help is greatly appreciated :>

cheers,

Andy

Guest groovejuice

email notification to admin and the customer is automatic and a second email with the download link is sent when the status changes from pending to processing. If emails are not being sent, your mail set up in the AGP is incorrect. Do a search in the forums on email as every host will require a slightly different config for this.

Guest groovejuice

You're welcome webgurl. Look at the top of this section in the forum at the pinned posts and there is a recent email config thread there. You may have to fiddle with the settings, but it's a good start. ;)

• 5 months later...
Guest OKCRandy

Is there a clean straight forward solution to digital products that have multiple zip files? Seems there should be an easy solution to keep the links secure.

I am a newbie to CubeCart

• 3 months later...
Guest davidgjohnson

I think I have finally worked out a solution to the problem of allowing someone to download a digital product using multiple files.

I have heavily researched these forums and have found several partial solutions, but nothing that would solve the problem for every user.

In my case, I have a store in which we sell multiple MP3 files at one time. As a single ZIP file, these would be 100MB +. This was very difficult for many of our customers. So, we needed to be able to split the ZIPs up into multiple ZIPs that would be no more than 20-25MB each. At that size, most people should be able to download them.

This solution is a little bit complex, but basically it works out so that the end user experience is this:

1. After purchasing the product, the user receives a link as usual from the CubeCart store.
  2. When they click the link they ultimately land at a PHP page containing a list of the individual files that make up the product they purchased.
  3. They have the liberty to download each individual component as many times as needed, but ONLY DURING THAT BROWSER SESSION. The links cannot be successfully copied to another browser (even on the same computer).
  4. If they close their browser, they must re-click the link from CubeCart in order to successfully return to the page (above). If they just return to the URL, they can no longer view the file list.
This has solved the problem. Since installing this solution, the only download problems I've had have been with noobs who can't figure out where their web browser saved the download file. No more corrupted ZIPs or failed downloads!

How did I implement this solution? Here's the detailed technical breakdown (take a deep breath!):

1. Install Download Sentinel++ on your web server. This is open source and free of charge.
  2. Upload the files you wish to sell into the “files” folder for DSPLUS.
  3. Build a “Password Protect” PHP page similar to the one described here
  4. For each package of downloadable files you wish to sell:
    a. Create a PHP file that displays an HTML list of the DSPLUS links to the files. Use an include statement at the very top that points to the file you created in step 3
    b. Create a separate PHP file that includes the file from step 3 and then redirects the user to the file you just created in step 4a. This causes the username and password in the URL to not be visible in the address bar while the user is downloading files. (Otherwise someone could copy and paste the URL and e-mail it to anyone to go get your downloadable files)
    c. Use an http path inside CubeCart as a link to the PHP page created in step 4b. The CubeCart link must containing the properly formatted username and password to authenticate the person clicking the link.
  5. Add an “include” statement at the very top of the DSPLUS .PHP files (m.php and mplus.php) to the file you created in step 3. This causes the DSPLUS files to only be useable by someone who authenticated by clicking on a download link from your CubeCart installation.
  6. Test!
As far as I've been able to tell, at each step of the way, the links and URLs are protected from anyone (easily) stealing your files. I suppose it's susceptible to brute force if someone was really, really determined, but there are ways to protect against that also if it becomes a problem.

I hope this helps. It has represented dozens of hours experimenting with different approaches. It has paid off for me.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest James Foster

Really? No one's developed a mod for this yet?

Sounds like there's a nice stream of cash getting ready for the person who finally get this one done!

• 10 months later...
Guest rkilpin

I attempted to use this method to allow a customer to download multiple mp3 files if they purchase the entire album as one item in the store. It did not work... Here is what I did:

All the mp3 files for the album are located in a DOWNLOAD folder. In that folder I also created an HTML file that contained the following:

<a href="song1.mp3">Song 01</a>

<a href="song2.mp3">Song 02</a>

<a href="song3.mp3">Song 03</a>

When the customer purchases the entire album, they get the link to download the above HTML file. When they open the file, it comes up with an Error 404 File Not Found. It is looking for the mp3 files in the directory to which they downloaded the HTML file, not on my server.

What am I doing wrong? Also, I want to make sure that my files are secure. I have placed my DOWNLOAD folder before my website public files on the server.

Thanks for the input.

The easiest way to correct that problem is to use absolute paths rather than relative paths in your html file. by this i mean in the href bit having the full web address of the location of the file. The only downside to this is the fact that the files will have to be in a publicly accessible folder.