Pay Pal Pro, Direct Payment

roban

I see that many people are having problems with this on version 3.05. I wonder how many of you that are having problems have certain things in common such as ssl activated or not activated.

I think it might be helpful to all of us if those of you who use Pay Pal Pro with Direct Payment and Express Checkout successfully post your configuration so we can see what the common denominator is.

The same goes for those of you who are not successful.

• 1 month later...

I didn't seem to have a problem getting paypal installed, copied the API to the correct folder etc...

then tried to log on to the admin and it says my password or username are wrong?

I've checked them, retyped them, and tried asking for a password reminder. I get a confirmation that an email has been sent..... but no email comes (yes I've checked the spam folders)

Is this the same problem other people are having?

I replied to this post before going looking, just in case I couldn't find it again later ;-)

WildlifeNI

• 3 weeks later...

I see that many people are having problems with this on version 3.05. I wonder how many of you that are having problems have certain things in common such as ssl activated or not activated.

I think it might be helpful to all of us if those of you who use Pay Pal Pro with Direct Payment and Express Checkout successfully post your configuration so we can see what the common denominator is.

The same goes for those of you who are not successful.

I was using 3.0.6 and had all kind of problems, yesterday I saw that 3.0.7 had been released, I installed it and as soon as I did Paypal Pro worked on the first try, I tried the upgrade and it did not work so I completely deleted the site, and reinstalled it fresh after that no problem, except having to start over, but I had spent 2 days trying to get 3.0.6 working so it was worth it to me.

I'd be intrested in some information on using paypal pro.

At thee moment i'm using the standard paypal setup.

What differences will i notice and how does it better facilitate future customers.

Is it easy to set up and so on.

I'm starting to think about the charges by paypal and how they will effect my sales.

Starting out from nothing, my products won't bring in much profits in a single sale.

So i was thinking of processing the card details myself, but that's not a good idea.

Not only do i know little about processing orders myself, i don't think it's a good idea to handy personal card info.

Any information would be appreciated.

Later thanks.

Guest groovejuice

My own philosophy is to let a third party handle the credit card transactions. That way, in case of a problem, the responsibility is in the realm of PayPal (or other party). If you've been following the threads in this forum on the recent hacking of CC, having customers' credit card info on your site (even in a supposedly secure database) should send shivers up your spine!

It is my understanding that if you process the cards yourself, then you must pay a fee to the credit card companies directly. This also cuts into the bottom line.

Unless your margins are so low that the PayPal (or other) fee makes profit impossible, I personally wouldn't consider it. I'm personally selling downloads of mp3s for a low price and have a narrow margin myself. PayPal did announce a 'micropayment system' on their website about 4 months ago, but as of yet, they haven't followed up with anything concrete.

My 2 rubles,

groovejuice

My own philosophy is to let a third party handle the credit card transactions. That way, in case of a problem, the responsibility is in the realm of PayPal (or other party). If you've been following the threads in this forum on the recent hacking of CC, having customers' credit card info on your site (even in a supposedly secure database) should send shivers up your spine!

It is my understanding that if you process the cards yourself, then you must pay a fee to the credit card companies directly. This also cuts into the bottom line.

Unless your margins are so low that the PayPal (or other) fee makes profit impossible, I personally wouldn't consider it. I'm personally selling downloads of mp3s for a low price and have a narrow margin myself. PayPal did announce a 'micropayment system' on their website about 4 months ago, but as of yet, they haven't followed up with anything concrete.

My 2 rubles,

groovejuice

I spoke to my buisiness bank (Bank of Scotland), and they wanted £200 setup and 6% commision per transaction.

This still wouldn't give me automatic processing - simply an Internet Merchant Agreement. On top of that, I'd need to either store credit card details on the site (pretty 'iffy) or get a 3rd party to process them for me (worldpay etc - but this would also hit my profits!)

Needless to say, PayPals fairly low rate will do for now....

I'm also interested in PayPal Pro - from what I can see, this would hide the PayPal system, keeping the customer on your site at all times.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mashurst

"However, the reason why I switched to the paypal pro (20$ monthly fee and 2.9+ discount rate and .30 USD transaction fee) is because I was experiencing about a 30 percent default rate with order processing."

The bank of Scotland quote is way too high. For the money, I haven't been able to beat paypal's setup fee (0$) and their transaction fee is actually competitive based on not having a volume agreement with a sales consultant.

The way that you lower the setup fee and you lower the discount rate (or the transaction percentage taken) and the per transaction fee ( the fee just to do the transaction) is to make a contact with a sales account representative that has the power to enter into a contract with you to give you a better rate, in exchange for a guaranteed amount of business. That's how you get the 1% or lower discount rates, merchant rates, etc. If you can justify volume numbers and make the account lucrative for the rep, then they can do something to get your business. If you are a low volume business startup with no metrics, they might not want the business, or figure they have to make the money (higher fees) off of you while they can.

If you contact the bank directly and just ask for a quote, 9 times out of 10 either they will refer you to a rep that will ask you for your volume metrics and then quote you accordingly, or they will give you the flat high ball quote. They are like car salespeople in a way, they will charge you the most money possible in setup fee income and rates. They are commission based usually and get a commission on the total money they bring in per period.

If you are a low volume start up trying to grow, paypal ipn standard is the best way to go.

However, the reason why I switched to the paypal pro (20$ monthly fee and 2.9+ discount rate and .30 USD transaction fee) is because I was experiencing about a 30 percent default rate with order processing. People were placing the order and not finishing the payment screen because of paypal standards perceived extra payment steps. Plus, even if they are paypal savvy and do not have a paypal account, the customer has to enter all of their address information over again, and that hassle can cause a lost sale.

Also, you need SSL setup to use Paypal Pro (Paypal Direct and Paypall Express in the Admin>Gateways), you don't need it for Paypal Standard IPN. Learned that one the hard way.

-M B)

• 1 month later...
Guest chantesse

...I spoke to my buisiness bank (Bank of Scotland), and they wanted £200 setup and 6% commision per transaction....

I am using BOI (Bank of Ireland but UK based) for taking phone cc orders in parallel with Paypal non-pro on Ebay (Cubecart Shop coming real soon now!). The setup was in the region of £100, for about an extra £50 I got a system to do WAP cc payments on a mobile for market stall activities, all linked to the same merchant service. BOI pays up within a few weeks so I am well statisfied. Talking around 2% (cc) or 30p fixed (dc) but I am getting a discount thru the Market Traders' Federation mambership.

So tell BOS to take a hike and if you need a fax/phone based system for customer not present to complement your online system, you could PM me for the details.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest umicom

So you are saying that we need to be in https to be able to use Paypal direct pay?

If so how can we do that?

I set it up in general setting and now I get this error message

Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403

What do I do, or what am I doing wrong?

I am interested, would the BOI accept me for a merchant account? Got rejected by HSBC which were similar charges to BOS

Long live the irish

soo how can I get in?

:D

...I spoke to my buisiness bank (Bank of Scotland), and they wanted £200 setup and 6% commision per transaction....

I am using BOI (Bank of Ireland but UK based) for taking phone cc orders in parallel with Paypal non-pro on Ebay (Cubecart Shop coming real soon now!). The setup was in the region of £100, for about an extra £50 I got a system to do WAP cc payments on a mobile for market stall activities, all linked to the same merchant service. BOI pays up within a few weeks so I am well statisfied. Talking around 2% (cc) or 30p fixed (dc) but I am getting a discount thru the Market Traders' Federation mambership.

So tell BOS to take a hike and if you need a fax/phone based system for customer not present to complement your online system, you could PM me for the details.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hasakr

I am running 3.0.10 and I am trying to get the PayPal Direct Payment to work. After reading this post, I am going to assume that my problem is that I am using Website Payment Standard instead of Pro. Is that a safe assumption? With the Business Standard account, I have an API certificate, username and password. Is that sufficient or do I need to upgrade to pro in order for the module to work?

• 3 months later...

I got my cart set up and everything is working but the payment gateways. If I use PayPal IPN the order gets paid for but I never get the IPN reply and it says order failed eveb though the transaction worked.

I then set up PayPal pro and direct. I have the correct files in the right places but the order fails every time and there is no payment recorded at PayPal.

Do I have to change file permissions or change the Globals in PHP.ini?

Anyone?

• 1 month later...

hey bigdog.. I have the exact same trouble with the 3.012, IPN fails on return to Confirmed.php, but the payment does go through. Product stays in the shopping cart, When the same customer orders again it sends the same invoice info, and will not re-order or order new.

No API calls are getting through, no log files are being written in the pear/tmp folder. I have my api Cert from paypal in the /pear directory, have tmp set to 777. I have the correct Account and Password in my Gateway config,

I have soap and xml modules but not curl, I have SSL

I have installed 3.011 from clean install, and 3.012 from a clean install. Same problem exists with both installs.

########### UPDATE ##############

I fixed both of my installs, I contacted my Server Admin and had them recompile the PHP with GD, Curl, Soap, XML , both GD and Curl were missing.. Everything is working perfectly now. 3.011 and 3.012 - out of the box / no mods :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Louisiana Backpacker

hey bigdog.. I have the exact same trouble with the 3.012, IPN fails on return to Confirmed.php, but the payment does go through. Product stays in the shopping cart, When the same customer orders again it sends the same invoice info, and will not re-order or order new.

No API calls are getting through, no log files are being written in the pear/tmp folder. I have my api Cert from paypal in the /pear directory, have tmp set to 777. I have the correct Account and Password in my Gateway config,

I have soap and xml modules but not curl, I have SSL

I have installed 3.011 from clean install, and 3.012 from a clean install. Same problem exists with both installs.

########### UPDATE ##############

I fixed both of my installs, I contacted my Server Admin and had them recompile the PHP with GD, Curl, Soap, XML , both GD and Curl were missing.. Everything is working perfectly now. 3.011 and 3.012 - out of the box / no mods :whistle:

:) I would be interested in exactly what you mean by recompile. Everytime I delete CubeCart and reload it, I get a different error message when attempting to use PayPal Pro. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that version .12 installed as a fresh install is no good (it caused all types of problems with my product images). I've installed version .11 and the problem with the images went away. I'm now getting the following error when I attempt to make a purchase using PayPal Pro:

Warning: require_once(PayPal.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/domains/webstore.louisianabackpacker.com/docs/webstore/pear/Services/PayPal/Profile/Handler/Array.php on line 9

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'PayPal.php' (include_path='/var/www/domains/webstore.louisianabackpacker.com/docs/webstore/pear:.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /var/www/domains/webstore.louisianabackpacker.com/docs/webstore/pear/Services/PayPal/Profile/Handler/Array.php on line 9

As everyone above me, I have all the required PayPal Pro API passwords, login's, etc. Everything is in the correct place, 777's are where they're supposed to be, etc., etc., but I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm also having a problem with SSL. If it's on in the Admin panel, everytime I add a product to my shopping cart (and I can see that a product is added by looking in the upper right corner at the shopping cart), when I view my cart, it tells me that my shopping cart is empty. It also doesn't clear out the shopping cart when I select "empty cart". But when SSL is off, everything works alright.

I would be happy if the same error would come up every time but it seems that every time I delete the program and reinstall it, a different error comes up. I guess I could continue to remove and install until I finally got the correct combination, but it's beginning to get old. I have numerous mods that I use and it takes time to get them all installed. I'm now attempting to get the program to work from a clean, fresh, non-modded install and once that happens, I'll install all the mods. But, I can't even get it to work with no mods.

Any help from someone who has actually gotten this to work using PayPal Pro would be appreciated. :(:( :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Michael Leselrod

I'm just getting my site setup and I think I've done everything correctly. I am using PayPal Payment Pro. I copyied the cert key to the Pear folder and put it the correct api username/password. When I try to buy something in sandbox or live I get "Sorry, your order failed!"

Do I need to turn on SSL in my hosting or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, I don't see any log files in the tmp folder. Should I be looking someplace else? Yes my permission on tmp is 777.

Thanks for any help.

Guest Mike NY

I'm just getting my site setup and I think I've done everything correctly. I am using PayPal Payment Pro. I copyied the cert key to the Pear folder and put it the correct api username/password. When I try to buy something in sandbox or live I get "Sorry, your order failed!"

Do I need to turn on SSL in my hosting or is there something else I'm missing?

Also, I don't see any log files in the tmp folder. Should I be looking someplace else? Yes my permission on tmp is 777.

Thanks for any help.

This is the same person as Mike Leselrod above. I didn't realize I had created an account already. When testing through paypal express checkout I get this error "Error: No payment gateway variable is set!" at the end and with paypal credit cart paying I get "Sorry, your order failed."

---Update: I got CC processing working. I'll work on paypal payments now. I'm not sure how I made the paypal cc payments work but I'm glad it does.