Tip Tip Important TIP

Guest sunshine

Guest sunshine

I just had a revelation while reading the differant posts.

It's sooo easy to change the look of your site in an instant when you've got the skins you like uploaded. Simply select the skin name in admin and VOILA! Weellll now, here's my revelation. INDEXING. keyword there. You change the skin, you change the links and such that are part of the indexing ;) Tip here should be the obvious now. If your going to change the skin add something to the end of so it renames leaving you able to rename the skin in use as the same continuosly. No errors, no penalties :w00t:

I 'think' sunshine tries to explain ....

You change the skin, you change the links and such that are part of the indexing

in your skins folder you have 3 skins

- Classic

- Killer

- Legend

example :

Your site is running with Classic and you want to change to Killer

first set your site ofline

next in the skins folder rename Classic to Classic_wathever

next rename Killer to Classic

put your site back online

you are running the Killer skin now , but "the links and such that are part of the indexing" still are filed under Classic-skin

somebody correct me if i'm wrong

or brake a leg ( yours , not mine :huh: )

Edited by stijnj

Guest estelle

Hold on, i'm not sure i understand what you guys are talking about. Are you suggesting that you would rename the Classic skin to Classic_bla, and then rename Killer to Classic? Why? You're content should never depend on a specific skin name.

If you're using a skin name such as Classic in your template files, you should instead make sure the following line is defined in the PHP include file, and if its not defined then add it:

$view_cart->assign("VAL_SKIN",$config['skinDir']);

And then use {VAL_SKIN} in your template files, rather than Classic etc.

Hold on, i'm not sure i understand what you guys are talking about. Are you suggesting that you would rename the Classic skin to Classic_bla, and then rename Killer to Classic? Why? You're content should never depend on a specific skin name.

If you're using a skin name such as Classic in your template files, you should instead make sure the following line is defined in the PHP include file, and if its not defined then add it:

$view_cart->assign("VAL_SKIN",$config['skinDir']);

And then use {VAL_SKIN} in your template files, rather than Classic etc.

Now, that I can understand :cry:

Most of this thread is still Babylonian to me <_<

But I, too, like Sunshine's avatar :blink:

Guest sunshine

lol, we're all fruit loops <_<

Estelle, yes, wht your'e saying is true to have the skins APPLIED to the site. Though, what I'm saying here, is whenever you change the skin, even though it doesn't affect the content of your pages per say, It does affect the some of LINKS. This thereby causes a partial error. I think 302 link error. This makes a differance to some, not all bots.

So, what I'm saying is no matter what the skin name you are currently using. Kepp it the same name so no errors are thrown.

i'm luvin' you all :blink:

Most of this thread is still Babylonian to me laugh.gif

But I, too, like Sunshine's avatar cool.gif

Babylonian way of speaking I was refering to her signature , not her avatar, though looking at it I must confess that you have a point :D

'her' in this case being sunshine.

I can't live without sunshine but that's another confession wich I want to discuss in private with sunshine.

Are we still on topic? :D

funny we can change skins at will from CC admin and nothing with links changes unless you hardcoded the skin name in a href or img src which is a NO NO

skin name ia a VARIABLE and should never be hardcoded in a site doc or product link to another product use the varibles Our Lord and Master Brooky Gave us....

Guest sunshine

HI Kinetic,

If you click 'Source' for your site in the the browser, you'll see <link h ref=your skin. It is a variable but once brought to the page, it becomes part of the page. :w00t:

Guest estelle

And having the skin name as part of the HTML source, this somehow affects bots? Is it something to do with search engine caching?

Perhaps i should just ignore this thread... :w00t:

I think sunshine I KNow IM aware what you see when viewing source in a browser the problem is you dont understand thats is AFTER the php has been parsed

hardcoding the skin name in a doc is silly

use the variable...

I think Ive been at web development long enough time to know what the heck Im doing

and Ive been with cubecart since it was e-store....

and now I click the unsubscribe button for this topic cuz it is SILLY

I don't see this is important. Changing a skin will only change the reference to your CSS & your site images (not your product images). Search engines don't care about either of those things, they mostly care about your page structure & content, which are unaffected by skin changes. They may also care about your product images, via google images, but once again, unaffected by skin change.

The only impact I can see is if your site images (eg your logo) are generating traffic from google images, which seems very unlikely, then a skin change will impact you, but this is a very unlikely scenario.