Meta_desc displaying the page content

Robsta

Hi, I have in my meta tags {META_DESC} as the description tag...

<meta name="description" content="{META_DESC}" />

When the site is run, this tag is not displaying the tags information as shown in "Admin > Store Config > General Settings". It's actually duplicating the content body which is part of the {PAGE_CONTENT} tab.

I am using version 3.0.5.

Can anyone confirm this to be a bug? I have looked at some other sites of this version, and I see exactly the same issue.

Guest sunshine

Hi Robsta,

Went to your site to check it out and clicked 'source'. Doesn't work..I wonder if that's a new security feature? Cool anyway. I like it. If Meta is pulling up your content, that's good for SEO. What's happening then is yuor actually using more relevant keywords appropriate to the actual content. Meaning so, for all the pages, the meta's ideally, would change accordingly. If Brooky put that it in, it's fab! Ya know, it makes for improved rankings :P

Hi Sunshine,

It would be fantastic if the desciption and keywords could be tailored on a per page basis. The problem with this 'bug' is that far too much content get's output as the meta description on the product page. Search engines will just ignore it. The only fix without a code fix is not to use the built in place holder tag, which I might have to do.

You can see this bug in action on any 3.0.5 site that uses the tag mentioned.

The page source is not hidden, it's just the effects of a little trick a learnt a while ago. */* Only works with IE.

<META http-equiv=Page-Exit content=blendTrans(Duration=0.06)>

Gives the page a transitional effect. A short duration adds a little smoothness to the page change, with the added bonus of right clicking to view the Page Source becoming problematic if you right click during this period (or shortly afterwards in some cases). If you refresh the page, and wait till it's fully loaded, you can then view the source. Or just use Firefox. :D

Guest sunshine

The problem with this 'bug' is that far too much content get's output as the meta description on the product page. Search engines will just ignore it. The only fix without a code fix is not to use the built in place holder tag, which I might have to do.

I hear what you saying there. It'll be another year before I understand the scripts. Maybe what the coders/programmers here will come up with a resolve to limit the meta.

I must say though, it's a fantastic add-on and trying to combine the shop, security, modules, seo scripts together takes serious work and ongoing tweaking.

EDIT: Robsta, I forgot to say thank you for you code there. Thank you */*