Who is your Web Host company?

This is a rehash of an older message I asked a few months ago. But I have been here and there searching for a better, more reliable web host for my wonderful cubecart shop. Also maybe this thread might help others out when they are looking for a good, solid web hosting company.

I have only ever had one web hosting company (MidPhase) for the past 2 years since I have been up and running. Most of the time everything is good but every once in a while something will screw up there and I will be down for hours. Plus at any given time the fast speed may suddenly drop way off and it will bring my site to a crawl for maybe 5 minutes then it's back to lightning speed. I can sort of deal will the downtime and slow down issues since it is a 'budget' web host and I'm paying $8 a month for it. The reason why I really need to dump them is just the fact that their customer service reps and techs are just so rude and aggravating to have to deal with.

There have been some good recommendations from people and I am looking for some more since there are so many web hosting companies out there.

Here is to start:

What web hosting company do you use with your Cubecart, would you recommend them, and is there any web hosts I should avoid?

I'll start with one here .... I would not recommend Midphase mainly due to the bad customer support. Another Midphase complaint is just a few days ago, they had a major crash on my server and took my shop down for over 20 hours! Then the backup the restored me to was about 1 week old, and on top of that it took another 12+ hours for them to get the PHP configured correctly for Cubecart again...ugh!

I use http://easyhostsolutions.com/

I really like them because they are quick at answering the support tickets. I haven't had any noticable problems like servers being down or lagging. They will even answer questions that they really don't have to answer because it deals with a third party software, but they are all about customer service and really do try to help out.

Stay stay stay away from Astahosting! (http://www.astrahosting.com/) It's a BIG scam! They just take your money, and you never hear from them again. I was once a newbie that knew nothing about servers, hosting, etc, and got burned early on. I do my research now, amazing how after I already got scammed I found several other people that got scammed by them, too.

Anyway, you're going about this the right way by asking around.

:wub:

Jen

I use Bluehost www.bluehost.com and have for years. I have 5 domains, 2 shopping carts and use them for all my clients.

If you do a search for the best hosting companies, Bluehost will always be at or near the top of the list. My only downside with them is no phone tech support on weekends but other times they are right there, friendly and knowledgable. You will be impressed by what you get for $95.00 a year. Check them out! If you want to use them contact me first cause if you go through me, I get a commission.

I use donhost.

They have recently been sucked up by pipex however, but i have never had a moments downtime (touch wood) they have local rate phone support & always answer within a couple of rings!

Guest ozwebsites

What web hosting company do you use with your Cubecart, would you recommend them, and is there any web hosts I should avoid?

We use www.farkie.com

Never had an issue, well saying that we lost some stuff when they upgraded servers. But on the whole, they seem good value for money.

Ozzy

Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions so far!

Also I am just wondering but how long have you been with your Host company as well? Then again, I suppose that might not matter to much since Midphase was pretty good at first but I guess they got a little too big and full of themselves.

I use powweb for my store. They have 1 plan 1 rate, 7.77/mo and you get some crazy amount of bandwidth and storage plus 5 mysqls and emails and stuff like that. I read awhile back that some people had problems with them but I have not experienced those for myself. The one time I had any significant down time (days after I first launched the site) they gave me 6 months free hosting for it. Can't argue with that. But, problem is they do have some content restrictions.

http://www.powweb.com

For unrestricted content, which I use for my personal website which displays my fiction writing and artwork (which can sometimes be a little inappropriate for young eyes) I use AHDonline because they were th emost reasonable unrestricted host I could find. I pay less than $4/mo but I only get 150mb storage and 3gb/mo bandwidth. For a personal site like mine that's more than ample. Their prices for the bigger/better packages are, I think, reasonable if you have the need.

http://www.ahdonline.com

For yet another site I use deal host USA which ran me only $24/year. Don't remember the specs on it, but it was a very good deal. (And if nothing else, well worth $24 to have a personal site without ads- I hardly think there's an excuse for not having that now adays!)

if I recall the URL correctly: http://www.dealhostusa.com

One thing is for certain, I will never again use free hosting. Blah! The ads are just awful! Yes, I have 3 different hosts for 3 different domains, but I'm satisfied with all of them thus far.

TTYL

Trish

Bluehost

10 Gigabyte Hosting Space (WOW!!)

Host 6 Domains on 1 Account!!!

2,500 POP/Imap Email Accounts

250 GIGS of Transfer (WOW!)

SSL, FTP, Stats

CGI, PHP, MySQL

2000/2002/2003 Front Page Extensions

Free Domain Forever!

Free Site Builder (NEW)

Superb/Responsive Support Engineers

$95.00 a year

The reason i am posting this is to avoid cheap hosting. You can find cheaper than this also :lol:

This for 2 diferent packages.

Disk Space 1000 MB 3000 MB

Bandwidth 15 GB 30 GB

NEW! Add-On Domains 0 1

Email Accts. / webmail Unlimited Unlimited

MailMan Mailing List Yes Yes

FTP Accounts Unlimited Unlimited

Sub-domains Unlimited Unlimited

cgi-bin (perl) Yes Yes

PHP 4.2.3 info link Yes Yes

Mysql 3.23.45 Unlimited Unlimited

Frontpage Extensions Yes Yes

SSI / GD / Curl / NetPMB Yes Yes

E-Mail Auto-Responders Yes Yes

Custom Error Pages Yes Yes

WebStats [Demo] Yes Yes

Flash Support Yes Yes

E-Mail Forwarding Yes Yes

Real Video Streaming Yes Yes

Music Streaming Yes Yes

Preinstall Cgi's [Demo] Yes Yes

Fantastico [Demo] Yes Yes

ImageMagick [Demo] Yes Yes

Password Protect Yes Yes

Shopping Cart [Demo] Yes Yes

Monthly Price $6.00 $9.00

Yearly Price $66 $99

Pay Yearly Get 1 month free!!

I will not give the url as the support is average, they will not notify you of any changes and the email system in their site does not work correctly B)

Yes that is one thing I am tring to avoid is poor customer service. Such as with my current Midphase, if you post that there is a problem with their server in the public forums there it will be almost instantly deleted when they see it. They try to hide when things go wrong and let the customers go nuts tring to figure it out, and of course they will never appologize for their screw-ups or tell you exactly what happened when your site goes down.

Also I have checked out some of the listings listed on epinions.com, actually the top 10 listed by user ratings:

epinions web host top 10 listing

I checked out the verve hosting and it looks like they have at least one thing I really like which they will notify everyone when something goes wrong, which it's not good that something might go wrong of course but at least they inform you of it.

Jeez... So many choices. :alien:

Guest degsey69

I go with roban as far as Bluehost goes its value for money, nonexcistent downtime and technical backup is good.

Plus their CPanel is one of the very latest and they have a great fantastico in it as well, that is well populated with software including CubeCart. :alien:

I use BlueHost as well. I have for many months now and I can't recall the last time there was any downtime. Great price for the service and amazing support.

http://www.bluehost.com/

There was a slight hiccup when I first started with them, but I emailed support and it was resolved within minutes and haven't had any problems since. I highly recommend them.

I host my own too.... can go below 8 p.m.; however, you get what u pay for :D

Def. cannot offer what blue offers for that money.

One note tho... do u really need 10 gig of storage and 250 gig of transfer and that for only 6 bucks??

wonder what happens when u reach that.... :unsure:

I seen that the referral fee paid out is $65 per person that signs up with Bluehost. Like Mobie brought up, it does make me wonder though how can they shell out $65 for referrals and only charge $6 something a month? Especially when your getting all that space, bandwidth, features, etc. Unless they make it up on renting out deticated servers I suppose...

But I must say that Bluehost does sound like a good choice to me.

Another web host rating type sight I found that looks to give good, no biased results is call Web Hosting Jury

Roban, for Bluehost it shows 6 domains on 1 account. What exactly does that mean? Would I be able to set up different e-mail addresses (example: [email protected] and [email protected]) for each domain plus full control over all 6 domains just as I would with the inital primary domain I signed up with?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

well I guess I am a little off topic I am a reseller and use hostdoggy.com I have been with them for over a year and only had problems one time for about 2 days, I have been with many hosting providers over the 7 years I have had web pages, and so far this is the best one Donnie has went private a month or so ago, because some of his customers were abusing the system, he is no longer advertising and you have to be available for a phone call before he will set up an account

his email is [email protected] if you want good hosting send him a email

Guest digilution

I use Hosting Unlimited for all my sitesĀ  B)

Right ...fed up with my hosting provider and need to find a few things out.

Does it matter if I get a hosting provider in the UK or the states...what are the pro`s and cons living in the UK and getting my hosting through a US company :wacko:

Been told some good things about this site Python let me know pleeze cause I have to move in a week!!!!