what is the best payment gateway to use?

Guest robgod

Hi, I've just completed a cubecart shop, and found that cube cart is by far the easiest and quickest cart I have tried to get running.

However, i'm not keen on using the PayPal gateway, and wonder if anyone can offer recommendations for an alternative (this would be for a UK vendor)

I only use paypal because its free, but i'd rather pay for a "better" gateway.

Any good experiences (or bad!!) with other gateways, prices (for UK) and reasons why you think they are good would be very welcome.

Thanks

Rob

HSBC are the only bank I've found to really be negociable with rates, we're paying under 2% on CC Transactions now (compared with quotes of 4%-5% from other banks).

Setup is about £250, which is probably the most expensive of the UK Banks; but it does come with both an API and a CPI interface.

Otherwise any IMA (~£150 from most banks) in tandem with Protx (£20/mo) is always a good solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also in the UK and use Nochex and have been for only a month and find it a great deal easier than Paypal. It is also cheaper than Paypal.

Have a look HERE

thanks for your reply. I'll have a look into nochex.

BTW, I had a quick look at the "nopaypal" site but couldnt help thinking it was just a propoganda stunt by "CardService International" , seeing as the button for "alternatives" just takes you straight to their site!! Not exactly impartial i'd say!!! ;)

HSBC are the only bank I've found......

Thanks....but there isnt a ready-made gateway in the cubecart default install!!!

If the nochex option doesnt work out, i'll have a look into it if my client wants to pay that much and if it can be easily added.

Thanks....but there isnt a ready-made gateway in the cubecart default install!!!

If the nochex option doesnt work out, i'll have a look into it if my client wants to pay that much and if it can be easily added.

We'll be releasing our module shortly ;)

@xomy - Ill be very intrested in this modual when its released can you contact me when you do release it as will be vital to one of my future stores...

In regards to the best gateway NOCHEQ is only good if you are only selling to customers with an order number bellow £100 otherwise they are required to sign up an account with nocheq that will lose you alot of custom.

If you are selling expensive products ie one my customers products range upto £10,000 then you will need to find a better gateway. Also i think NOCHEQ only accepts payents from uk residents so if the idea is to go international then again its NOT a good idea to use NOCHEQ...

I have no quarel with paypal as they charge only 2.8% on sales and no setup fee's, no limits (once verified) and no global prefeix...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Numbers

We'll be releasing our module shortly :)

Yet another interested in an HSBC module. Have not yet made a final choice of cart, but with comments I've seen and with an HSBC module I would pick Cubecart. My client has an account with HSBC so this would be the logical choice. Any idea when this module will be available as my client wants to go live in March?

Thanks.

We'll be releasing our module shortly :)

Yet another interested in an HSBC module. Have not yet made a final choice of cart, but with comments I've seen and with an HSBC module I would pick Cubecart. My client has an account with HSBC so this would be the logical choice. Any idea when this module will be available as my client wants to go live in March?

Thanks.

It is already available. Simply ask Alasdair or myself for a copy.

Adam

Guest EverythingWeb

The HSBC module is now included in the CubeCart downloadable package, thanks for Adam @ XOMY.

Please grab a copy of 3.0.7-pl1 for the updated program.

You will also notice that the HSBC logo is now included under the 'Modules' list on the front page of www.cubecart.com

Thanks.

HSBC are the only bank I've found to really be negociable with rates, we're paying under 2% on CC Transactions now (compared with quotes of 4%-5% from other banks).

Setup is about £250, which is probably the most expensive of the UK Banks; but it does come with both an API and a CPI interface.

Otherwise any IMA (~£150 from most banks) in tandem with Protx (£20/mo) is always a good solution.

Hi,

I was quoted £250 for my bus. bank - Bank of Scotland, and they wanted 6% without even asking what I was selling! However, I could not provide a turnover fiqure at the time.

I've been banking with HSBC (Midland) for 18 years, so have some track record. Do they allow a seamless process, or does the customer have to visit their site (ala Paypal IPN) to pay?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi,

I was quoted £250 for my bus. bank - Bank of Scotland, and they wanted 6% without even asking what I was selling! However, I could not provide a turnover fiqure at the time.

I've been banking with HSBC (Midland) for 18 years, so have some track record. Do they allow a seamless process, or does the customer have to visit their site (ala Paypal IPN) to pay?

Thanks,

Jason

They offer both API (seamless) and CPI (off-site); the moduel I created is for the API.

All HSBC Secure ePayments accounts support API and CPI by default.

Adam

• 4 months later...
Guest selprojects

They offer both API (seamless) and CPI (off-site); the moduel I created is for the API.

All HSBC Secure ePayments accounts support API and CPI by default.

Adam

Hi

API doesnt work with CC apparently? Does CPI?

Whats the difference?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chantesse

I'm currently a Paypal user with cc 3.09 but curious about HSBC.

A £250 setup is mentioned but does HSBC have a standing monthly charge for using their gateway? Most gateways outside of Paypal/NOCHEX seem to charge a fixed monthy £20-£30 plus a small commission on amount.

Guest pcupgradeltd

I'm currently a Paypal user with cc 3.09 but curious about HSBC.

A £250 setup is mentioned but does HSBC have a standing monthly charge for using their gateway? Most gateways outside of Paypal/NOCHEX seem to charge a fixed monthy £20-£30 plus a small commission on amount.

I should think so. I have had quote from Streamline (linked with RBS) and they have setup fee of £300 (altho my bank business advisor told me £150) and they charge 2.6% CC but I also need a gateway at £20 per month seperately! is that not them? whats the difference between the gateway and the card processing system?

Guest markyvuk

WorldPay vs PayPal.....

We have been using CubeCart for almost a year now and have relied on PayPal for payment processing. We were getting only about a 70% success rate using PayPal and decided it was time for a change.

Over the past few weeks we have signed up with WorldPay (we already had a Streamline Merchant Account). Okay their initial fees seem quite high, but if you are a real business and are a member of a trade body (like the British Giftware Association) then you may find that the fees can be reduced significantly. This applies to both the inital fees, ongoing fees, and we have also got reduced commission charges from Streamline. Not only does this make WorldPay as competitive as PayPal but you get your money within 2 days - not 10 days as we were with PayPal.

So far (2 weeks) every single transaction has been successful.

We are using CC V3.05 (with security mods, etc, etc) - but expect that all versions from this up to the latest would work equally as well.

Integration was simple.

Hope this helps.

Guest pcupgradeltd

WorldPay vs PayPal.....

We have been using CubeCart for almost a year now and have relied on PayPal for payment processing. We were getting only about a 70% success rate using PayPal and decided it was time for a change.

Over the past few weeks we have signed up with WorldPay (we already had a Streamline Merchant Account). Okay their initial fees seem quite high, but if you are a real business and are a member of a trade body (like the British Giftware Association) then you may find that the fees can be reduced significantly. This applies to both the inital fees, ongoing fees, and we have also got reduced commission charges from Streamline. Not only does this make WorldPay as competitive as PayPal but you get your money within 2 days - not 10 days as we were with PayPal.

We are using CC V3.05 (with security mods, etc, etc) - but expect that all versions from this up to the latest would work equally as well.

Integration was simple.

Hope this helps.

When you say success rate, what problems wrer the most common? fraud? or iust bad sytem problems?

Guest markyvuk

We had many problems with PayPal. The most common was that it just wouldn't accept the customer's card and then didn't return the customer to our site. This left the customer confused and not sure what to do next!

We have not had any fraud issues with PayPal.

Guest valencia

We had many problems with PayPal. The most common was that it just wouldn't accept the customer's card and then didn't return the customer to our site. This left the customer confused and not sure what to do next!

We have not had any fraud issues with PayPal.

The annoying thing with Paypal is that unless the customer tells you that they had aproblem, Paypal says nothing. I am losing about 20-25% of Paypal sales as well. I do like that there has been no fraud issues and there rates are super low.

CC Avenue gateway whom I also use, actually has the decency to send me a transaction not authorised mail and option to collect from customer again which is something that Paypal could do well with instituting for its customers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

WorldPay vs PayPal.....

Integration was simple.

Hope this helps.

hi markyvuk

I'm interested in using streamline. Which CC gateway did you use?