Add a Handling fee? UPS and USPS

Guest Kathleen

Guest Kathleen

Hello,

I have been setting up CubeCart, and I have everything done on it except for the shipping part. I tried first offering UPS shipping, but the rates calculate much lower than the actual rates on the UPS site. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is there something I should change? I have read other posts written by people with the same problems, but I couldn't find any solutions. Maybe I haven't searched enough?

Also, after I couldn't get UPS to work, I tried USPS. I tested and activated everything, and it is working well, but is there a way I can add a handling fee to the calculation? I use my own packaging and materials, so if I just used the original shipping quote, I would lose money on shipping. Is there anyone that can help? I am totally new at this, so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Kathleen

Guest global777

Perhaps if you did "Shipping by Weight," but this is difficult because if you use anything other than USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail, you have no way of knowing the different shipping rates to all the possible destinations.

I do know that one of the other popular carts has a little option for each shipping module with a box to include a handling fee for each shipping method. It's a really nice feature.

If they would simply FIX the UPS module, and add a simple little box to add a handling charge, this would be an AWESOME package.

Until then, it's just a "very good" package. Albeit a very good one I can't use because of those exact issues.

:sourcerer:

Edited by global777

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain how to do this for UPS? It would be a great help.

this has also been posted

find /modules/shipping/ups/calc.php

on line 73 find $sum = $quote and make it $sum = $quote+5; 5 meaning your adding 5 dollars to the total amount of shipping. You can replace the 5 with whatever number you want.

Guest Guest_Ronnie_*

on line 73 find $sum = $quote and make it $sum = $quote+5; 5 meaning your adding 5 dollars to the total amount of shipping. You can replace the 5 with whatever number you want.

Thanks! Worked like a charm for both USPS and UPS. In the USPS calc.php, it is $sum = $valuel;

• 1 month later...
Guest Lyzard914

Hello. I just purchased Cube Cart after using it for three months. It's a wonderful program and your forums have been a rich source of help.

I followed the instructions in the preceeding posts for adding a handling charge - it works perfectly - but, what I'd like to know is how to change what the customer sees in the checkout to say "Shipping & Handling" instead of just "Shipping." Lots of our customers are familiar with the average cost to ship an item, i.e. a bumper sticker (63¢) and when it show up as $2.63 now, they may question why. In addition to adding a small post about the new handling fee, I feel as if I should change this little bit of text the customer sees as well.

Thank you!

www.lpstuff.com

Guest tbladecki

I followed the instructions in the preceeding posts for adding a handling charge - it works perfectly - but, what I'd like to know is how to change what the customer sees in the checkout to say "Shipping & Handling" instead of just "Shipping." Lots of our customers are familiar with the average cost to ship an item, i.e. a bumper sticker (63¢) and when it show up as $2.63 now, they may question why. In addition to adding a small post about the new handling fee, I feel as if I should change this little bit of text the customer sees as well.

You can change that in the lang files, look around in there (ie 'cart') and you will find it :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lyzard914

You can change that in the lang files, look around in there (ie 'cart') and you will find it :wacko:

<sigh> I've been looking and looking and looking to no avail. I am just too new. I found the "chart" of what goes where refering to the file but I can't find the lang file to poke around in and add a few words to. (I might add I have three mods from Goober installed as well - which probably complicates it even more.) Any hints would be helpful. :D

Guest landracing

Ok this is my first attempt in helping someone here.

In language/en find and open lang.inc.php

Find at or close to line 2188

'shipping' => "Shipping:",

and replace with

'shipping' => "Shipping & Handling:",

save file and upload.

Worked for me.

Jon

• 1 month later...
Guest Lyzard914

Ok this is my first attempt in helping someone here.

In language/en find and open lang.inc.php

Find at or close to line 2188

'shipping' => "Shipping:",

and replace with

'shipping' => "Shipping & Handling:",

save file and upload.

Worked for me.

Jon

Thank you! It worked perfectly!

• 7 months later...
Guest murkington

This worked awesome, this is exactly what I need! Thank you very much!

There's also a popular mod for the USPS handling fee here. I've been using this since the summer and have been pretty happy with it. It's basically the same mod as what has been posted previously in this thread, plus an extra field in the USPS admin console so you don't have to hardcode it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest shereen

yet another idea to add to the list here is to use another mod which calculates shipping & handling based on order value. this is EXACTLY the way other merchants do it, by listing a rate table of shipping & handling fees for each order amount level. you'll need to go to the CC mods forum and find it there, or just contact me directly and i'll send you the link to the store for this mod. i really like it, it has both domestic and international capability and can do both fixed dollar amount fees as well as percentages.

the beauty of this alternative is that you don't have to enable any other shipping module. it doesn't matter whether you directly link to usps or not, you just inform your customers how much s&h will cost them and then you worry about how to ship the products to them. i'm using usps priority mail, and i've recently enabled the ups 2nd day air service for those customers who have requested express shipping. as long as the customer knows how much they will get charged for s&h, then the customer doesn't need to see any usps choices at checkout.

if you want to see an example, go to https://splas004.secure.omnis.com/store/ind...&docId=10#6 .

hope that helps.

i've downloaded kristina's ups rate fix file and am looking forward to testing it--thanx!! kristina.

--s--

http://www.splashgearusa.com

• 2 months later...
Guest Kristina

Keenen you can find both the mods at www.purrfectcrafts.com . We were having a problem with an error in our checkout due to our host changing some availability to the fopen php command. Unfortunately we were not notified of the change. So, I just found out when I was trying to get caught up on updates that they had turned it off. The links themselves to the pages seen to be working fine for me. We did have a day or two that our site was down off and on and I suspect that may have been when they were updating our PHP version and changing the allowed commands. :w00t:

Kristina

• 4 months later...
Guest Lil' Squirtz

Keenen you can find both the mods at www.purrfectcrafts.com . We were having a problem with an error in our checkout due to our host changing some availability to the fopen php command. Unfortunately we were not notified of the change. So, I just found out when I was trying to get caught up on updates that they had turned it off. The links themselves to the pages seen to be working fine for me. We did have a day or two that our site was down off and on and I suspect that may have been when they were updating our PHP version and changing the allowed commands. :D

Kristina

Kristina, it appears you are still having problems with your checkout. I've attempted to download the UPS Fix mod a few times. Each time it says it successful and an email will be sent, however I have yet to recv any emails. When I tried emailing customer service, it bounced saying your inbox exceeded its limit.

Can you please email me the UPS mod? Or, if any one else has it handy, and seeing that its free, could you please send me this mod.

Thanks,

Laurence

Lil' Squirtz Clothing Company

[email protected]

Guest Lil' Squirtz

Keenen you can find both the mods at www.purrfectcrafts.com . We were having a problem with an error in our checkout due to our host changing some availability to the fopen php command. Unfortunately we were not notified of the change. So, I just found out when I was trying to get caught up on updates that they had turned it off. The links themselves to the pages seen to be working fine for me. We did have a day or two that our site was down off and on and I suspect that may have been when they were updating our PHP version and changing the allowed commands. :D

Kristina

Kristina, it appears you are still having problems with your checkout. I've attempted to download the UPS Fix mod a few times. Each time it says it successful and an email will be sent, however I have yet to recv any emails. When I tried emailing customer service, it bounced saying your inbox exceeded its limit.

Can you please email me the UPS mod? Or, if any one else has it handy, and seeing that its free, could you please send me this mod.

Thanks,

Laurence

[email protected]

OK, so after a little sleep and some more searching I found the free mods on CubeCartForum.org

UPS Fix - http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?sh...amp;hl=handling

USPS Fix - http://www.cubecartforums.org/index.php?sh...amp;hl=handling

I hope this helps others who might be looking for the same thing.

Laurence

[email protected]