Where have you gone Dorthy ?

Guest clearlygifts

This is not what i'm saying at all and as per the new rules you are no longer allowed to advertise commercial mods in the .com forum which is why the .org forum was built.

We have a strong team here and alot of them will be helping out in the .org forum as well as some new faces, As most modders know the way people find out about you is by answering posts and helping out in all aspects of cubecart. So if they stopped helping in main forum they would only be affecting themselves.

We are trying to keep the forum clean and tidy by splitting the 2 into official and unofficial and restricting lengthy signatures and pointless advertising that is not related to Cubecart.

All I can ask is you bear with us and try to understand why we have gone down this route.

Guest perfume on sale

Hi my thoughts as a new comer to cube cart - I dont have a store using cubecart live yet - 2 are in development stage. We use another commercial cart at our other site. The problem I see as a new user is not knowing what is 'official" and what is "unofficial". We know what we want our software to be able to do to some degree but there are many times in a forum we read something and think its a good idea we hadn't thought of.

As we are testing and getting familiar with cube cart we find its limitations and seek a solution for it - surely it is in the interest of the makers of cubecart to provide easy access to that solution as it enhances the usability of the software and therefore is likely encourage us to buy the licence. Having to go anywhere out of their site does not do that.

The first rule we learnt in online business was keep the customers on your site.

Cheers

Just my point of view.

Maintain two forums for the same product regardless of official or unofficial is funnily. If i were newbie today i am frustrated.

Internet is know of presence unoficial stuff for everything but every official-bussiness site interdictory somethig never links to any unoficial one permitting.

Using internet nothing short of 13 years, remember world wide web protocol implementation but never seen this. I am old school and new age is comming. :)

Ahhh yes we are truely entering Web2 as they are calling it... But however the idea is derived from what vBulleten did a while back and it has proven to work for them for some time even though it recived the same negative reaction when they first made the change...

Easy way to look at it

official = original software out of the box u downloaded or installed.

unofficial = changes you have made to original code.

Think of it this way

U buy a ford car take out the ford engine and replace with a vauxhall engine car then stops working.

would you go to Ford garage and ask them to fix it as its under warranty or take it to a 3rd party garage?

answer = 3rd party garage, Ford will say " sorry you have modified the car from original specifications and voided your warranty ".

Guest TheWetFish

Easy way to look at it ....

I, like many others, come to the forum to see if any new updates are available and to say hi to any new friends we have made here. Maybe, just maybe somebody just like myself might be able to guide or solve somebody's problem also. So if a newbie posts in the official site (.COM) asking for support on a stock cart, those who might be able to help may not come in here often enough and therefore reducing some of the fast support that I have experienced here at CubeCart. Which BTW is one of the reasons I chose to use a CubeCart script is the speedy help that people have received here. if the forums are seperate, help response time may be reduced... Just something to think about.

Matt

P.S. If it isn't broke, why try to fix it?

It was broke thats why we fixed it.

The forum was being abused

lengthy signatures

website promotion in domain names

support was more about commercial mods than support for software.

e.g.

The email is not working on my cart

Get my email mod here for $10 to fix ur cart.

Guest TheWetFish

It was broke thats why we fixed it.

The forum was being abused

lengthy signatures

website promotion in domain names

support was more about commercial mods than support for software.

e.g.

The email is not working on my cart

Get my email mod here for $10 to fix ur cart.

Not trying to get into a heated discussion, just saying that as far as support from the regular forum helpers here, everything is fine. Every site will have a few bad apples trying to ruin it for everybody regardless if CubeCart has one forum or two forums. I have had a few problems with certain things and never was pressured or asked to pay for help. Yeah I do use a commercial mod (Coupon mod by Goober) and was never pressured to purchase that either.

Think of it this way....

You own a Ford and it needs a tune up. Do you go and get another car or give the current one you own a tune up?

Just trying to say that maybe rule changes and/or enforcements here might have been a viable solution over putting lots of hours into a seperate forum. Just my thoughts and not trying to make anybody upset. Either way I appreciate all the work that is and has been done to improve CubeCart.

Matt

:sleep: Thats it exactly

Think of it this way....

You own a Ford and it needs a tune up. Do you go and get another car or give the current one you own a tune up?

or you own cubecart and it needs a tune up. Do you go and get another cart or give the current one a mod or 2?

Well now u can @ cubecart.org

Guest Mysiteonline

I'm still not keen on the whole split thing.

I think if i was a newcomer just finding cubecart, i would be put off an may have gone elsewhere.

I don't think your comparison with car warranties is a good one, since although the Forum may be for all unofficial discussion it is still hosted by Devellion, which almost infers a recommendation.

Cubecart would'nt have so many users if all the mods did'nt exist.

I don't see what would have been wrong with strongly enforcing the new rules that Brooky was going to bring in. Could the feature used in the new forum allowing advertising not have been allowed in the original forum?

That is the very reson a disclaimer has been added to the new Cubecart.Org and hosted by Deviliation or not it is seporate from Cubecart.com and it states that it is an Unofficial 3rd Party Site...

Brooky has had trouble in the past of people asking for a refund because certain mod didn't work, now you must all agree that this isn't right as the mod had nothing to do with the licence purchase it was an addon...

Again to the Ford Description -- You dont buy a Ford then find out the Alloys you wanted wont fit it and then take the car back wanting a refund that much is comman sence but Deviliation Ltd is a company and has to look after the companies intrest, there could have been an out right ban on mods but instead the hard work was poored into making Cubecart.org for us all...

As i have said the method has been tried and tested and has worked for others and i can promise you when each of them made the change over their users made a massive fuss over it aswell but now it is just part of the software.

So to finish my Mini Rant off, Embrace the change and you will like it... (even if it takes a while :sleep:)

Guest Mysiteonline

I can see you points, infact i think there is reasoning for both sides of the argument.

Still don't like this whole car comparison thing though, Ford certainly would'nt allow or advertise 3rd party mods :-)

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this thread. I'll take this opportunity to address several of the things said.

First off, there seems to be a hangup on the terms "Official" and "Unofficial". I don't think these terms accurately portray the purpose of the two sites. There are NO "official" mods released for CubeCart. There are no options offered by Devellion as mods for CubeCart.

However CubeCart.org IS an official site owned by Devellion. It is a site that has been setup to allow easier organization of add-ons for the base software. There has never been the intention of separating people from one site or the other.

The goal is to allow the .com site to better help people with the base operation of their software. The goal of the .org site is to help people take their software to a higher or more effective level. They are intimately intertwined and will become even moreso over time.

The split is not even a full week old yet. Give us a bit of time to pull all the things together and settled in. Homer has been busting his hump on the .org site, and we ALL thank him for that. There will be VERY plainly found cross links between the two sites. CubeCart.org is NOT the redheaded step child who will be hidden away, but rather the equal partner who is completely codependent on CubeCart.com.

To put it in the oh-so-familiar Ford Motor Company rationale, think of CubeCart.org as Ford Racing Parts or SVT. Most of what SVT does is actually developed by 3rd parties and then sold/advertised through Ford. The .org site will be mostly the same way, only Devellion won't be selling the stuff.

I certainly hope this helps to clarify things for everybody.

:sleep:

I've been reading a lot of the posts on this thread. I'll take this opportunity to address several of the things said.

First off, there seems to be a hangup on the terms "Official" and "Unofficial". I don't think these terms accurately portray the purpose of the two sites. There are NO "official" mods released for CubeCart. There are no options offered by Devellion as mods for CubeCart.

However CubeCart.org IS an official site owned by Devellion. It is a site that has been setup to allow easier organization of add-ons for the base software. There has never been the intention of separating people from one site or the other.

The goal is to allow the .com site to better help people with the base operation of their software. The goal of the .org site is to help people take their software to a higher or more effective level. They are intimately intertwined and will become even moreso over time.

The split is not even a full week old yet. Give us a bit of time to pull all the things together and settled in. Homer has been busting his hump on the .org site, and we ALL thank him for that. There will be VERY plainly found cross links between the two sites. CubeCart.org is NOT the redheaded step child who will be hidden away, but rather the equal partner who is completely codependent on CubeCart.com.

To put it in the oh-so-familiar Ford Motor Company rationale, think of CubeCart.org as Ford Racing Parts or SVT. Most of what SVT does is actually developed by 3rd parties and then sold/advertised through Ford. The .org site will be mostly the same way, only Devellion won't be selling the stuff.

I certainly hope this helps to clarify things for everybody.

:w00t:

I like the way you put it..

BUT can we now get off the car thing... LoL :rolly:

Guest theboylard

OK, so

The goal is to allow the .com site to better help people with the base operation of their software.

on this basis then, Cubecart.com will ensure that Paypal/and other payment gateways that ship with the base package and shipping will be fixed and work out of the box? As a commercial product, the purchaser can expect full support for a product - if it doesn't do what it says then it's in breach of Trade Descriptions, Distance Selling and other UK laws?

Even now we still see people having problems and being told to modify the code in different ways to get the base operation to work? These hacks/mods come from the likes of Aikdo, Sir William, Convict, Goober, and lots of others (and thank you all for your most needed help!)

As they are third parties, that means that they must appear on .org. But the user will post the question on .com as a base operational issue.

Does the person who can answer the question have to post on 2 forums? One on the .com to tell the OP to look at the .org, the 2nd post on .org where the answer actually is?

Or is a base rule going to be made stating that if no answer appears, then the answer MAY be on .org?

Whoa, take that back, not wanting to give ideas now :rolly:

Is this really the way forward?

Sorry if I'm being harsh but I really don't think this has been thought through.

Loads more questions but off down the pub, see ya laterz.

hapless

theboylard, you're all mixed up in your interpretation. The .com site is for ALL issues with the BASE SOFTWARE. Those who have helped will continue to help. If you have a problem that is NOT directly related to a 3rd party module, then it needs to be dealt with here. But if you buy Goober's mod and something breaks because of it, then you obviously need to ask over there.

NOBODY is going to stop supporting CubeCart. The .org site is not a mutiny of 3rd party developers. It is in fact quite the opposite. It is a unified area for us 3rd party individuals to group together to better support CubeCart and each other.

As for the software working "out of the box", for most people it has and will continue to do so. Devellion is still at this point a one-man operation. Brooky cannot possibly test every potential permutation. Even once he hires some help there will still be bugs found. And the CubeCart community will still find some fixes before Devellion can do another version release. But I can assure you that the positive changes we've come up with are in the base code. If you doubt, go look. Brooky has even left in some of the comments I made in the files.

If there's ever a doubt a doubt where to ask a question, ask it here. If it's really better suited to the .org site, we, as knowledgeable moderators, developers and programmers, will gladly make you aware of that and kindly point you in the right direction.

C'mon people, this is NOT a hard idea to grasp. We're simply dividing sites and relegating duties to better serve EVERYBODY. Give it at least a short time before the fear of the unknown overtakes your entire psyche.

:rolly:

No if someone comes on here and asks for a support question as to how to fix the paypal payment gateway ect then they can do just that and post here and we will give the support to fix it.

If your a customer then you can contact brooky himself and he will give you support through the tickets...

.Org is for mods so for example my Admin Rename mod or my Twatch intergration mod ect and more Additions/mods they are not original parts of the core code then they are to be on .ORG ...

another example is Sir Williams USPS shipping mod there was a USPS shipping mod as part of cubecart but sir william made a more improved version it is still a mod its not really support becuse the original version worked just not as well...

This doesn't affect your support here however if you come here becuase your paypal isn't working or you cant get your SSL setup right then we are all willing to help just the same...

I totaly welcome this myself...

Guest TheWetFish

EDITED..... going to try to stay out of this discussion from now on. Just have to clarify one thing...Ford DOES provide warranty support for SVT products when installed on the Ford Mustang SVT. So while SVT is a third party, they do work as a team, Just like Carol Shelby is seperate yet works with Ford and Dodge on Shelby packages. At least here in the states that is the case. Might be different in other parts of the world.

Matt

then you report it here as thats a Bug with the BASE code as i said :rolly:... if you look people dont generaly charge for fixes we suppl them to you all for free and its not a mod its a patch/fix...

This is getting out of control now :rolly: Thanks for the kinds words sir will praps i should step out of this as i may b on the fence a bit after putting so many hours in on .org.

All that is left 2 say is we have a strong team that will be working on and keeping the support going on both forums.

As time progresses you will all see the point in this project.

I can appreciate after reading some of the posts why the .org project came about. However I still believe that .com could have been made to work & coincide peacefully with commercial modders.

I think all it would take is 1 to remove signatures as a whole.. They never really serve that much purpose...

Setup the new rules that no commercial advertising could take place in the Support section of the forums while still maintaining the Mod Support & Request a mod forums and making sure that all commercial talk happened there. No-ones out to start trouble and I really dont think that people would say no I'm not going to listen to you I will post commercial chat in support channel whenever I like. And in any event .. thats what the admin features are for ;)

I think one way or another some sort of integration needs to take place between .org & .com Be it the remerging of org with com or some sort of "near fix" like shared user database or something so as to make it more convenient for users to both browse mod & support discussion without as much hassle...

At best I would say some sort of community input should be sought on this but in a more structured fashion than this thread... After all it's the community that makes the cart ;)