Using Dreamweaver to Change Design

Guest joannaleng

Guest joannaleng

Dear peepz,

i only know how to use dreamweaver and would like to know what are the files that I can touch to change it. I would also perhaps like to change the design and layout. What should I take note of and what needs to be edited?

Cheers,

Jo :)

PHP wise it takes a while to learn your way around the files but here is a basic explination...

index.php / cart.php (the 2 main pages and they call each of the other pages depending on what is needed)

includes/**.inc.php (these are the Main includes stuff like the global.inc.php file)

includes/content/**.inc.php (these are the content pages which are included only when needed the names are self explanitory)

includes/boxes/**.inc.php (these are the side boxes and again all have explanitory names :))

classes/** (this includes classes that are used thoughout the cart stuff like the db class and the xtpl system)

skins/**/styleTemplates/** (all these files are called by the includes files using the xtpl system these are what you will edit to change the layout they are basicaly HTML pages that included macros and comands, they are split up into many diffrent files however and you may find that it is easier to just learn HTML than use Dreamwever as it doesn't show these files corectly in WYSIWYG format)

Guest joannaleng

Hi,

the thing is, i do not know any programming codes but use the dreamweaver's design view to built websites.

Can anyone advise on this?

Sincerely,

Jo

Guest shannonlp

Hi,

the thing is, i do not know any programming codes but use the dreamweaver's design view to built websites.

Can anyone advise on this?

Sincerely,

Jo

I use dreamweaver to build my sites as well.

http://www.slkstudios.com

http://www.lacelegacy.com

I could not have done any of this using design view only. Try making simple changes and seeing the effect on your site. Learning the ins and outs of CSS is good start. Use your split view to help.

Be sure to make copies of the files you are changing. Highlight the file you want to work with then use the edit>duplicate. Try this with the skin of your choice and then you have a good copy to work with.

Guest rukiman

One thing that might make it easier for you to modify and allows you to use dreamweaver is....

1) Browse to the page you will be modifying with your browser

2) Using IE save the page to your local drive.

3) Use dreamweaver to modify this page and the corresponding CSS files. IE saves the HTML and CSS pages automatically for you including images.

4) Now when you are completely happy with this page. Do a DIFF between the original HTML page and your now modified page. Now carefully bring across those changes to the corresponding .tpl template files. Don't worry about the CSS pages as you can upload this as it is.

5) Now upload your modified templates files and CSS files to your server

6) Browse to the page and admire results. Now select another page you want to modify and do the same.

I recommend you always upload your page and CSS file once you finish before working on another page...otherwise you can lose track of your CSS file and template changes while working another page if you aren't careful

Guest joannaleng

ok.

thanks peepz!!!

wil ltry it out...

but really frankly speaking...

i AM an IT idiot...

i know nothing about everything

and I only know how to use design view for simple cut n paste and text editing....

;)

• 1 month later...
Guest STEVE33304

Hi,

there are some video tuts on macromedia's site, that explain how to setup dreamweaver to your local/remote server to do php/mysql etc work.

If you not sure these take you step by step.

Steve

Sooner or later, you will want to edit the codes directly to do things that Dreamweaver does not facilitate. When you want to edit CSS, TPL, PHP, JS and more, etc. get yourself a copy of free PHPdesiger at www.mpsoftwareweb.com.

It's not difficult.

An important reason for picking up that software and the minor skill in using it, many of the postings here in the forums for fixes, tricks and toys require editing of the code. By sticking with DW in WYSYWYG alone, you'll miss out on all that stuff.