Im Back - Major overhaul

Guest tbladecki

Guest tbladecki

I need some real good feedback on the colors, whats working whats not. ect. I am really in trested in the color choices as this site is live and doing well, but I needed some major work to the layout and skin and thanks to my freind Danny at Zero System he has helped me out

the site is http://www.desertcoralaquatics.com it is also in my sig.

thank you

damm dude that is good like 500% better

agree with the blue text tho and if you look very carefully on the titleboxes the border jumps up a pixel at the top just before the image.

but excellent job

I need some real good feedback on the colors, whats working whats not. ect.
I was about to go off into my usual dreary rant against black backgrounds when I realized I am probably not alone in my belief that black backgrounds, regardless of the text colors used, are a really bad design idea because of problems they cause with legibility. I was going to moan, as I usually do, about how the idea of a web site is to communicate information and then I was going to cite the famous MacLuan dictum about the effectivenes and efficiency of any message being the 100% responsibility of the sender.

I'm not going to say either of those things (heh-heh).

Instead, before commenting, I Googled the phrase "web site legibility" (as well as the variant "website legibility" and found that there are actual research results that address the exact words of the question " . . . colors, whats working whats not. ect. . . ."

Here's a chart of legibility of color combinations.

http://www.tetridia.com/132

Note especially the analysis comment that supports what my own eyes tell me - and what I learned 50 years ago when studying print advertsing design, " . . . maximum readability can be achieved by using black text on white background. . . . "

Hope that helps . . . but frankly, in my experience, the position I espouse against black backgrounds is never accepted. It's usually an unexpected and therefore unwanted message. However, as Galilleo supposedly whispered when putting resarch results up aganst opinion, " . . . but it does move . . ."

So, while black backgrounds are kew-el, they are more difficult to read. If the purpose of a web site is to sell to as wide an audience as possible, legibilty - not personal aesthetics or kew-el-ness - is all that matters. The issue is not Art (note capital letter) but Commerce.

Now would someone please help me get down off this soapbox without hurting myself?

Guest groovejuice

Site is looking very good. I'd agree with the blue text comments, perhaps try a lighter shade of blue like #9AF. I've also found that changing from serif font like Times to a sans serif font like Verdana can often improve legibility. jerseyjoe makes a valid point about using the classic print model in webdesign, but I've generally found that as long as large amounts of text aren't used, dark bg with light text can be very effective. The background pattern is nice and subtle, but I might try it substantially lighter, or darker blue. If you go darker, then a whitish border around he main div may be in order. Or you could combine the 2 into a light-to-dark-blue gradient. Finally, there are a couple of typos. Overall though, really nice work!

Guest Train25

I have to agree. The black background makes it difficult to flow through the site with ease. Text is hard to read. In my opinion I think you should use a light aquatic background with complementary text colors. This will compliment your site so much more with the theme of the site.

Guest tbladecki

thank you all I will work on the backgound and maybe make it some ocean blue type......

Roban and evil, I appreciate the comments, it is much better then before and there are a few htings that need a little help... but it is coming along nicly and I will get with my little friend and make a feew changes.

But I am very exicted that the new skin looks as good as it does and I could not have done it with the help of a friend :D

Thank you again I will post after I make some changes