Question all to see CC has some big issues>>

HI all i have been using CC 3.08 for about 2 weeks now and all very good to start with until:

there are some big issues to address here. Now dont get me wrong its a very good cart If you just want a basic setup with no Tax?vat ( as in some countries its Law to show etc.

also i am awear that bugs and changes need to b updated on a regular basis and thats fine but.....

Just think about this for 1 minute.

The owners of the company are based in UK yet to buy the licence is in $ ????

also for a UK company to buy a shopping cart from another UK company is very odd when you have to search high and low for FRee and paid for MOds ( luckyly there are a lot of very helpfull Cubers out there which i am very greatful for ;) ) , just to get the Cart working to what i would call a basic set up.

IE in my cas i have a product set @ lets say £100 and all i want to do across the board is ADD VAT ( UK tax) @ 17.5% , then give once again across the whole products a online discount of 10%.

I would like the VAT and the 10% to be shown to the customer so that they dont get a shock at the end.

Now i am sure some one is going to say " There is a mod for this" where i have loked high and low and had experienced helpers try to sort this out But no joy nearley but not quite.

So as A UK company that was loking to buy CC to clear the Copyright i am have second thoughts especially if its was produced by a UK company and it want work the very basics for a UK company??

That has to be big question surely??

Big credit to Markcarts, Convict,Estelle and aukna and degsey69 for all your help and advice some of you even looked at my shop admin for me to check all was ok

But still no joy.

Please i am sure i am not the only one here in this situation.

My customers need to have VAT shown in listings and if i have missed something please let me know.

Once again many thanks to all.

Guest gwizard

I understand what you're saying.

95% of mods, either commercial or free, should be part of the core package as it is in many other carts, either open source or commercial.

If I didn't knew how to program in PHP I would probably look for another cart.

BUT, as it stands, other commercial carts cost much more then 70$, so when you look at it from buisness view it pays off in the end.

The thing with VAT shown on all listings...

I don't see what's the problem, it sounds very easy to implement. Unless I am missing something.

If you want me to implement it, just email me and we'll talk buisness.

Cheers.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello uklotto,

Let me try and clear up any misconceptions or queries you may have. (Please remember though, that I am purely a volunteer moderator here on the forums, and that any and all views expressed are purely my own and dont necessarily represent those of Devellion Ltd).

Firstly, we are a UK Based company, proving many web-related services to clients, and although we dont use CC for our own use, we have setup and continue development on many stores, so I am talking from first hand experience.

1) License Key 'costs' are displayed in US Dollars, because across the world, USD's are seen as the most common currency, and are 'understood' by most people across the world. However, when you (and I have just confirmed it) go through the order process, you can either take the PayPal route which would convert the amount, OR you can 'Pay by Credit Card' which is through 2Checkout where you have the option to select your local flag and have the amoutn converted in real-time.

(A personal favourite of mine is xe.com/ucc which is a very handy currency converter, should you ever get stuck).

The other reason is that the large majority of CubeCart's users are US based, so it is much easier to target advertising and prices towards the larger segment of the market who use the product.

2) I can not think of ANY piece of software which is designed for use by a massive range of people, which will be default, suit EVERY business and/or business model. It just cant happen. Mods, whether they be Free or Paid for, are there to extend or change the functionality of the core software. This is exactly how CubeCart has been built, and how its reputation is growing day by day.

Now, I may sound like a stuck record to some of those frequent readers on the boards, but I am a firm believer in that if you are operating a web-shop which is making you money, and you have used a piece of software (CC) or a Mod (eg) then those peopls who's hard-work and time has been invested, ought to be rewarded.

With regards to having to search for mods - we know have a whole forum dedicated solely to Hacks & Mods of CubeCart, and you will find that even though those forums were only launched recently, they are growing day by day and have a lot to offer. It's all part of building a community.

3) The VAT/Tax issue is something which has been apparent as more & more UK and European based businesses use CubeCart Like has been mentioned to you on some of your other topics, Estelle created a MOD which would sort the problem out for you - contact Estelle if you need more details., however please expect the Tax part of the system to be updated in future versions.

4) I understand that these issues/features which people have come to expect are available in other carts, whether they be Free (Open-source) or Commercial, however please look at the e-commerce market and tell me if you can get an e-commerce script which is as flexibile in the templating system and in the general programming, and then tell me whether it 'costs' as little as CubeCart does - I think you'll be hard stretched.

Please also remember that we are only at 3.0.8 - development continues on CubeCart which will mean that a lot of the features which are either requested or built as MODS will be available in the Core package at some stage - it is inevtiable - at the end of the day, the aim of any software maker is to make the software suitable for any business, so please, stick with CubeCart, and I can guarantee you that when you get your Tax issue resolved, you will be happy.

Hope this Helps.

Well said EverythingWeb. The only other point I'd like to make is that Cube Cart is particularly sensitive to the needs of its users and always has been. It takes time to sort out what is important to have included and what is not (for we cannot include everything) and then test it until it works. This takes time. I have been a user since version 2.03 and you'd be amazed at the remarkable maturity of this program today.

uklotto, I can understand what you're saying as well, but I beg to differ on much of it; in fact, I am in full agreement with everythingweb.

We all are entitled to our opinions, and often they are a good form of amusement. It is laughable when some complain about CubeCart and in the same breath acknowledge that other carts can cost many times more in the box - and even with all the extra functionality, you'll still have to configure everything to suit yourself - and perhaps, in the end, do a little programming before you're fully happy.

Many are happy with the software and the community and the third-party support systems, but it would be unrealistic to expect everyone to be satisfied, so to each his own I suppose. ;)

Thank you all for you comments i am sure this will be loked at by many new and old.

Just to clarify some points.

95% of mods, either commercial or free, should be part of the core package as it is in many other carts, either open source or commercial.

I agree i can only comment on one other cart ZEN cart which i have used very succesfully and yes its FREE and yes you also do need to do some mod to tailer to your needs . How everand frogive me for saying this but Zen has all this basics AS STANDARD, and any help and add ons by professionals was also give FREE. ( they also do templates etc which cost just like Cube cart.

My only own point of view here is surley a standar Tax, Vat or what ever should be a basic add on at the start as i am sure many businesses out their that use this must be VAT registered in the Uk ( ie the owner company), europe or the world?

The other reason is that the large majority of CubeCart's users are US based, so it is much easier to target advertising and prices towards the larger segment of the market who use the product.

it would be interesting to know actually how many are?

I understand that these issues/features which people have come to expect are available in other carts, whether they be Free (Open-source) or Commercial, however please look at the e-commerce market and tell me if you can get an e-commerce script which is as flexibile in the templating system and in the general programming, and then tell me whether it 'costs' as little as CubeCart does - I think you'll be hard stretched.

I can only comment on one as you know. ;)

The main reason for starting this post was to point out to other that may want to use it that be awear that you will more than likley have to do some re programming by means of edit txt to installing a mod. and these maybe for a standard application to work.

I was not awear and i know a tiny bit about this sort of thing from second hand experience but i thought that the tax and Vat issue would be standard as it is clear in the admin section.

their are a lot of factors here i know and my full credit goes out to those that regullary help others even my self i have tried to pass on what i know.

On a last not you say that these paid and free mods that are available now will be added to updates later and thats good but how does that stand for those that have made these mods and quite rightly so charge for thier work done??? will they loose out then?? just a thought.

Guest degsey69

What I think will happen in future releases, because it has been widely spoken about in these forums, is that a lot of these mods may be incorporated in ver 4.***.

We are being told that ver 3 is still being developed to the next platform, also we as budding ecommerce users are demanding more from our shopping carts as the web develops and our customers demand more from our sites.

So I say lets get ver 4 out soon. ;)

to clear issues up ver 4 aint about to happen the next release is 3.1.0

for those of you that dont understand the version numbers its quite simple

3 = Mahussive overhaul of whole cart system (just compare 2 to 3)

1 = Major overhaul

0 - Bug fixes and minor changes

3.1.0 is big and is very exciting in the development of Cubecart (trust me I know) there are some big features being added as well as other parts being tidied up.

Question tho: What is a bsaic cart?

how can you decide what part of tax is basic?

think about look at the world nopt just the uk, there are alot of taxes and way taxes are paid.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello uklotto,

I think EvilHomer has just summed up something, which sort of clarifies my point which I am about to make.

think about look at the world nopt just the uk, there are alot of taxes and way taxes are paid.

In response to your question about the demographics of the users of CubeCart - well at the last take, roughly six months ago, the majority was in favour of the USA, with them accounting for roughly 70% of the users.

I would hazard a guess that these haven't changed too significantly, possibly a slight reduction - but it is a major figure that the USA holds.

Thanks

Guest gwizard

Yeah, I was a part of that Zen community as well and in fact contributed a couple of things. Just look at the downloads section ;)

Now I am CC user. Even bought a license.

Do you know why ?

Cause Zen is a biatch to customize and it's community, although very nice and supporting, have not progressed in the last 2 years.

OK, so there is a feature or two you miss in CC. That's fine.

That's what all the modders are here for, to accomodate requests that are not in the main package.

btw, Zen templates are indeed damn expensive.

I agree i can only comment on one other cart ZEN cart which i have used very succesfully and yes its FREE and yes you also do need to do some mod to tailer to your needs . How everand frogive me for saying this but Zen has all this basics AS STANDARD, and any help and add ons by professionals was also give FREE. ( they also do templates etc which cost just like Cube cart.

Homer is right. 3.1.0 has some really nice new features in the base release. But I'll tell you also that some of us are setting up the framework for 3.5.0. And if all goes as is on the drawing board, it'll turn the world of semi-commercial e-Commerce software on its ear. Hands down.

:)

Guest gwizard

And if all goes as is on the drawing board, it'll turn the world of semi-commercial e-Commerce software on its ear. Hands down.

Hmm, I get it.

You will introduce Naked Cheeks skin into the main package.

:D :)

Guest Brivtech

Thank you all for you comments i am sure this will be loked at by many new and old.

My main gripe with Cubecart is the difficulties with installing into sub-domains, and how everyone appears to want to avoid the issue. While I've managed to wedge in a few fixes, it still doesn't run smoothly because it uses the server address rather than the physical URL address.

Take a system like phpBB, you get absolutely no problem with sub-domain installation.

I would also like to see further development like the phpBB guys have done with skins. They have a demo area where you can see their forum presented in their different styles. Something like that would be great for Cubecart for free and commercial skins alike.

Although a lot of MODs and skins are commercial, the costs are usually very low, and although some should be offered as part of the core package, the system as it is represents a good balance of features. I have looked through many different systems and believe that CC weights up very well against competition. I'm not wasting time supporting packages any longer, but instead devoting my resources to CC, for several reasons, including the potential I can see and the adaptability of the product. I have a fantastic E-Commerce system that I also offer, but the system is limited to shipping to the US only. The authors are extremely inward looking, something that is completely opposite here.

In time as my knowledge of cubecart improves, I'm sure I'll be making more of a contribution. In the mean time, I'm still learning what's hot and what's not about the system. I've been very impressed so far, and can see that the contributors have the right kind of attitude. If they can't answer posts, at least they're friendly about it!

A final note, you keep spelling looking wrong! I'm being picky about this because spelling on a website will reflect in the confidence of your customers when they want to make a purchase.

A final note, you keep spelling looking wrong! I'm being picky about this because spelling on a website will reflect in the confidence of your customers when they want to make a purchase.

Thank you for that i was awear of it , it is because i type too fast sometimes.

However please remember the main reason for posting this topic was to bring to everyones attention ( IN UK mainly) that they maybe some problems to get VAT to show in CC etc, NOT to comment on someones spelling mistake maybe 2 or 3 out of how many words and too be honest its just a forum NOT a selling site.

True! Spelling does matter but i think it would be more likely that i would LOSE a customer to find that VAT had been added at the end as they would have not been aware of it.

I sure if you went into a shop to buy something because the price looked right only to find out " oh sorry sir/madam there is vat on top of that "

But thanks for pointing that out to me, It is noted :D

PS please anyone who finds any spelling mistakes ( as it must ttake you a long time to check my posts) i think you deserve a SWEET. LOL :)

Brivtech, you insist on making this a sore spot, yet you're the only person I'm aware of who's having a problem with different hostnames. That leads me to think it's either a byproduct of the way the hostnames are handled on your particular server install or there is something configured wrong either in CubeCart or on the server itself.

I have two different stores running on my server on different hostnames as well as having a couple of clients who do so. They work flawlessly.

The offer has been made to allow somebody else to view your config and look for issues, but you have thus far ignored the offers choosing to blame CubeCart instead. I can tell you that EVERY site I've gone to that had "unfixable issues" was fixed in just a few minutes and generally was configured incorrectly from the start by the user.

;)

HI all i would just like to say that my problem has been solved and all is ok and back on track

many thanks to all that have helped and contributed to my help and this posting .

:) off to crack on with some work. ;)

Guest Brivtech

Brivtech, you insist on making this a sore spot, yet you're the only person I'm aware of who's having a problem with different hostnames. That leads me to think it's either a byproduct of the way the hostnames are handled on your particular server install or there is something configured wrong either in CubeCart or on the server itself.

I have two different stores running on my server on different hostnames as well as having a couple of clients who do so. They work flawlessly.

The offer has been made to allow somebody else to view your config and look for issues, but you have thus far ignored the offers choosing to blame CubeCart instead. I can tell you that EVERY site I've gone to that had "unfixable issues" was fixed in just a few minutes and generally was configured incorrectly from the start by the user.

:w00t:

I wasn't trying to hijack this thread for my own support, but rather responding to the thread topic – The topic creator has some concerns over CubeCart’s VAT systems, and invited other users for further comments about issues they considered CubeCart had – Obviously a topic for constructive criticism going by experience. Considering your unexpected response, perhaps I should justify my comments in more detail:

I have been having a big issue with subdomain installation, and the level of support covering this (In FAQs, installation guides, etc) has been somewhat limited. I am not blaming CubeCart at all, in fact, I am saying how great it is, however, I am suggesting that more technical information could be made available. To me your comments appear personal and away from the discussion. To follow your argument of blame, if it absolutely has to be attributed, it is:

1. CubeCart for not detecting the default configuration settings correctly for this server configuration.

2. CubeCart documentation for not explaining in enough detail that changes need to be made if not making a standard installation.

3. The user for not being a CubeCart genius and knowing its ins and outs!

There is no blame, and it’s silly to even suggest it. BUT there needs to be solutions. If everyone gets accused of blame every time they have a problem, this would be a very sorry support forum.

In my response above, yes, I mentioned the subdomain problems; that was only about a fifth of all that I wrote discussing other aspects of the CubeCart system that could be improved. The system is of course not perfect, but in my opinion, it doesn't have far to go until it is. It is not a sore point, I just want it resolved. I am developing several projects that I won't go into detail here; suffice to say I am eager to resolve any teething troubles that come up.

Please don't make me out to be the bad guy here. I am simply submitting support requests specifically to the individual problems I am having - Is that not the purpose of a SUPPORT forum? Some of them have been resolved, some are still open. I would really appreciate any help you have to offer (and I know by your help on some other topics that it can be excellent), but not when it is going to involve calling me stupid, and tell me I shouldn't be using subdomains yet in another topic tell someone else that subdomains are the way to go. Perhaps you have a strange sense of humour. Everyone else has been extremely helpful and professional, and I am somewhat surprised that a CubeCart developer takes this approach.

In addition to this - yes, the offer was made to provide my specific configuration details, but the problem was resolved before I needed to do so going on the generic configuration details I provided. You are wrong that I chose to ignore the offer, and are painting me in a very negative way here. Again, to justify my response:

1. posting configuration details for a live shop to an open forum is a security issue.

2. I was hoping that an alternative solution could be presented (Which indeed - it was) before resorting to the disclosure. Why would I post configuration details after the problem has been fixed? It was actually fixed by one of my own people, and they chose to share the information on here to help others.

Yes, my server system handles subdomains differently - I use the same server configuration that GoDaddy use. A folder is set up as a subdomain by the DNS server. There are LOTS of websites out there using this configuration, and if you had read my other topics you would have seen how CubeCart is reading the server address, overlapping it with the URL causing the problems I've been having, by duplicating the folder that is used for subdomains. In most CubeCart applications, people are not installing the system into subdomains, and I think it's simply a matter of luck that there haven't been more subdomain installation help requests – Perhaps they have been more fortunate in finding the correct combination to get their CubeCart to work. To resolve my original problem, I simply needed to change the configuration slightly, but exactly how was not specifically documented in any way, and I went through many many combinations, re-installations, to get it right, and indeed, it wasn’t me who found the solution… By the way, talking of GoDaddy, looks like I am indeed not the only one haveing server configuration problems: http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....showtopic=16701

The comment I made here on this topic in relation to subdomains is that some other systems are more adaptable and easier to configure. I have trialled about 15 different shopping cart software systems, both open source and commercial, with mixed results. CubeCart is certainly one of the most flexible - In general terms, but not in this area. I have come across a couple of other posts where there have been configuration problems in other aspects of CubeCart, such as domain masking. These issues are all related, and to bring me back to my original point before you accuse me of being sore, there is room for improvement in the support for subdomain and domain related issues, be it FAQs, tutorials or personal help, even if I have to end up writing them myself! I'm not telling you that CubeCart is evil, that it is rubbish at doing its job, nor that it is in any way incapable. I'm simply suggesting that it does things differently to some other programs, and a little help on how to tweak it in this area would be greatly appreciated and could save other people hours of tampering.

I would very much like to work with you and the rest of the CubeCart development team, but would just like the same respect that other people get. I don't have grudges and grievances with anyone here or the systems, and I'm very sorry if you somehow get that impression. I just want help specific to the questions I have asked because I have very specific applications, not alternatives that are general in nature or even imply that I do something completely different to my application. Perhaps I should have made that clearer, and I'm sorry if I have given the wrong impression there.

Please try to be nice, like your smiley avatar! :) I will be around a lot in the future.

HI all i would just like to say that my problem has been solved and all is ok and back on track

many thanks to all that have helped and contributed to my help and this posting .

:) off to crack on with some work. ;)

Well done and really great to hear it. How did you get it solved?

Problem solved me thinks

once again its godaddy.

tip: search for godaddy in the forums and see how many others have had problems with it.

answer : move hosting companies in my experiance I have had nothing but problems with them.

Guest Brivtech

Problem solved me thinks

once again its godaddy.

tip: search for godaddy in the forums and see how many others have had problems with it.

answer : move hosting companies in my experiance I have had nothing but problems with them.

Actually UKLottery's problem had nothing to do with GoDaddy.

I did a search, and only 10 topics appeared, including this one.

Of these 10, only 2 people had actual problems, 1 needed to remove their .HT access - the problem was solved, and the other had a configuration problem. The rest mentioned it in passing, and some even commented how happy they were.

I get a lot of customers transferring to my hosting services because I use their same configuration, offer better support and my prices are good.

I appreciate you may have had problems, so your opinion is based on your experiences, but to imply there's lots and lots of Cubecart users who have had problems by suggesting the forums are packed with GoDaddy problems, and then subjectively tell people not to use them is hardly an objective approach. There are going to be people who have certain types of hosting that may be configured differently, surely the technical support for CubeCart should be flexible enough to adapt to variations rather than sweep them under the carpet?

At the end of the day, whether you like them or not, GoDaddy has become a large hosting provider. Many hosting providers have problems, the better ones try their hardest to overcome them. We should work with them, not against them. Cubecart is better than this, and it shouldn't be pushed into a corner because of it!

:innocent:

Guest EverythingWeb

Brivtech,

It is not in CubeCart's nature to 'sweep issues under the carpet' and that is certainly NOT what is happening here.

I can confirm myself that I have MANY stores setup and operating on 'sub-domains', and EvilHomer's comment was purely that the same issue had happened before to people based on the goDaddy hosting platform. EH did clarify this by pointing out that (and I quote): "in my experiance I have had nothing but problems with them"

I have put in bold the pertinent comment.

Please rest assured that problems which affect CubeCart can be logged in the BugTracker, and DO get dealt with.

Note to everyone: Can we try and keep this thread on topic please.

Brivtech,

It is not in CubeCart's nature to 'sweep issues under the carpet' and that is certainly NOT what is happening here.

I can confirm myself that I have MANY stores setup and operating on 'sub-domains', and EvilHomer's comment was purely that the same issue had happened before to people based on the goDaddy hosting platform. EH did clarify this by pointing out that (and I quote): "in my experiance I have had nothing but problems with them"

I have put in bold the pertinent comment.

Please rest assured that problems which affect CubeCart can be logged in the BugTracker, and DO get dealt with.

Note to everyone: Can we try and keep this thread on topic please.

I'm afraid I agree with Brivtech on this. It shows up what he is saying about the quality of support - Something that could be an issue if not checked.

That final response was clarified the official position in the best way.

That final response was clarified the official position in the best way.

Please explain

You gave reassurance, followed by positive supportive information.

I run a consultancy company where we offer support to clients with established systems. We pledge only high quality support and would never critisize a customer, or their equipment if it doesn't fit within our way of doing things. It is unprofessional to say the least.