Whoops!

Guest walmarc

Guest walmarc

Hi

After all my bitching of late I've tried a few other stores in firefox and bugger me they work fine. I initially installed CC 3.0.8 via Fantastico and am wondering if anyone has experienced problems with this kind of install over a manual one. My problem is the checkout empties the cart and logs the customer out in Firefox and I'm desperate for a solution (I have the "Empty Cart" fix installed and have manually upgraded via the changelog to 3.0.9. I have a dedicated SSL cert and SSL enabled in CC.

My question is how do I preserve my database product entries photos etc if I do a clean manual install? Do I need to start from scratch or can I do something else that will preserve settings/content etc on a clean manual install. Help greatly appreciated.

Guest vrakas

Before you do this, try and enable the "remember me" when login. :)

I had an experience with this before and by doing the above worked, but this was on an oder version :(

Guest walmarc

Before you do this, try and enable the "remember me" when login. :(

I had an experience with this before and by doing the above worked, but this was on an oder version :(

Thanks vrakas, I need to do that for CC to work in Internet Explorer. If I do it in Firefox it still craps out? Got me stuffed as to what to do! :)

Guest Brivtech

Before you do this, try and enable the "remember me" when login. :(

Thanks vrakas, I need to do that for CC to work in Internet Explorer. If I do it in Firefox it still craps out? Got me stuffed as to what to do! :)

We did an install over an existing installation. We uploaded the 3.0.9 files over 3.0.8 and did the installation. On the installation, there was the option to overwrite tables - I'm guessing if you don't overwrite, then the products data should be there automatically. If you do, as we did, it's like starting off with a new store. We had some photos previously uploaded, they were still there unaffected.

Guest jmartinez

If you have fantastico I am assuming that you have PHPMYADMIN as well. Sweet tool, will allow you to do a full back up of your DB really easy like.

Guest degsey69

If you do a fresh install, your sql database is still there, before you do that you need back up your images and then reload them after you reapply the website files.

In another post today Sir William said the following which is very applicable here.

What people don't seem to grasp is that the database and the files are mutually exclusive. You can delete all the PHP files and your database is fine. So reuploading the files will NOT hurt your database. Web applications are not like Windows software. You can upload and re-upload to your heart's content and your database will NEVER be affected.

Now, that said, you do NOT need to rerun the /install/ scripts. When you FTP, just don't upload the /install/ directory and don't upload the /includes/global.inc.php file. If you have already, simply delete the install directory.

The ONLY thing that happens when you run the install is that is configures the global.inc.php file for you and creates the initial database. If you already have the database setup, you don't need to run the install. You just need to setup your config.inc.php and you'll be fine.

So the sql database will always be there just set up around it. :)

Guest walmarc

Thanks everyone. If I just upload all the files again without touching my database and not overwriting global.inc.php will that be the same as a clean install? I realise I'll have to restore any mods - are there any other files that shouldn't be overwritten?