moving a store within a site

I am about to try something that will be either very satisfying or so disastrous that it will entertain this forum an example of incredible stupidity.

The store (licensed of course - I may be stupid but I'm not crazy) right now is installed as v3.0.8 at www.domainname.com/store/. I've done a fresh installation, using 3.0.10 with a new data base, at www.domainname.com/. Please don't ask why unless you enjoy tedious explanations that rival the plots of Henry James novels for dullness.

I'd like to export the product list from the /store/ to an Excel spreadsheet so I can edit the products and assign images to them and then import that to the fresh installation.

I know Sir William has a highly regarded CSV mod, but in reading the description, it seems it only goes one way, import into a store, not export from a store. I will PM him a link to this

this posting and ask his attention.

But I'm posting the message here in the forum because someone may have already tried this same stunt and can spare me from suicide, the only option left if I screw up.

UPDATE 30 minutes later

OK, I got bold. I went into myPHPadmin and exported a copy of the products (inventory) and customers tables. I guess I should do the same for the order related tables, too, right? (advice hoped for). Are there any other tables I would want to bring over?

I've looked at the Excel sheets and they look good. I do not see an "import" function in the myPHPadmin and I'm guessing this is where I need Sir Willliam's mod. Right?

Guest estelle

There's some tips on my website. But it doesn't work for all users (perhaps depending on MySQL/phpMyAdmin versions), and you should really have decent experience with phpMyAdmin otherwise you might mess up your database.

Unless you enjoy taking risks, Sir William's mod is worth the money. Its well coded, well tested, and will prevent you from making mistakes :D

There's some tips on my website. But it doesn't work for all users (perhaps depending on MySQL/phpMyAdmin versions), and you should really have decent experience with phpMyAdmin otherwise you might mess up your database.

Unless you enjoy taking risks, Sir William's mod is worth the money. Its well coded, well tested, and will prevent you from making mistakes :D

Thanks, It's too late here in the NYC area and I have an early appointment in Manhattan in the morning. I'll check out your site when I return.

I've written to Sir William but haven't had a response. He must be away rescuing a damsel or doing something very Monty Python to a dragon.

Nite . . .

Joe, sorry I haven't replied sooner. But this way I grant you another opportunity to wax eloquent about my reply. :)

My CSV mod will indeed bring in all your products. However for your customers and probably even categories, I would simply copy the tables directly from within PHPMyAdmin. If this is beyond your comfort range, lemme know and I'm sure we can work out something for you.

Oh, and leave my dragon slaying out of it -- that's my alter ego. :D

:)

My CSV mod will indeed bring in all your products. However for your customers and probably even categories, I would simply copy the tables directly from within PHPMyAdmin. If this is beyond your comfort range, lemme know and I'm sure we can work out something for you.
OK, I had to put the project on hold for a few days while the Harkins Clan gathered in Washingtonn, DC for our annual combined birthday party. For some reason best not investigated too closely, almost all Harkins conceptions in the three curent generations seem to have happened in July, resulting in March births. Speaking as the Patriarch, and quoting Satchel Paige, the greatest baseball pitcher ever to have lived, had I only known I was going to live this long, I would have take better care of myself when I was younger.

The Project:

I am definitely outside my comfort range on importing tables. After this project is done, I'll make time to play using a test store until I know what I'm doing. But for now, I need to get this thing working.

I have three files updated from the old database, ready to import (_customers, _category and _inventory). Those three files are in a folder "CSVupload" and the files need to be renamed which I'm sure you will realize. You already have the access codes to the server. Ignore the /store/ folder. The new store is in the root.

If you would please do them at your earliest opportunity, I'll PayPal your fee. Just PM me what you need. It's now 6:20am here in NYC. I have to leave at 9am for an appointment. I'll check the email before I go and I will be back around 3pm. As soon as I know what to send you, I will.

Ragrds, Joe

• 5 months later...
Guest Big Lurch

I have found a program that is just outstanding in its ease of use and powerful in functionality. With Navicat I was able to export in SEVERAL formats, such as CSV, XLS, XML, MDB, just to name a few. Importing supports many of those same formats as well. I have saved countless hours using this program to update my client's inventory without incident. The occasinal error happens, but usually because of a premature disxconnection from the MySql server.

The price for the full fledged version is around $170, and is worth every penny.

I don't intend to dismiss the efforts of the skilled coders here; your efforts are greatly appreciated. My project was very complicated, along the same lines as Joe's, and this program did a wonderful job and saved me hours of work.

Guest Brivtech

Please don't ask why unless you enjoy tedious explanations that rival the plots of Henry James novels for dullness.

:D Sorry, but I have to say this - That was incredibly profound! That almost could have been a quote from Dr. Smith in Lost In Space! ;):errm:

As far as moving a store from between folders, I've done this loads of times (Perhaps the circumstances are different).

If you are using the same database, simply change the settings in your global.inc.php file to point the system files to the new location. Obviously the database doesn't change.

If you want to move the database as well, simply use the mySQL admin to make a backup, and restore it as a SQL query. (Here you will now have 2 copies in existence - One on the old system and one on the new). Install CubeCart with any MODs, and restore the database over it (Ensuring that you don't miss versions). If you have a big cross between versions, simply re-install CubeCart again, making sure to uncheck the "overwrite tables" option, and that should fix any tables that perhaps never existed before, but maintain the integrity of the existing data.

Don't be afraid of importing tables, it's straightforward. If you make a rule of naming your cubecart stores differently using the database prefix, then this should never become a problem.

No reason why it shouldn't work straight away, done it loads of times.

As for CSV import, this is a fantastic tool, but for a different application. Say you were using an accounts package, access database, or even a spreadsheet for listing your products, well the CSV import module is perfect for getting that data into the inventory. It's not really designed for backup purposes (Would like to see Cubecart have an autobackup facility).

By the way, I notice this is a very old thread, we're now on 3.0.13, but I've posted this for general help to anyone else having a similar problem.

Big Lurch, I'm keeping your post in, I think the information is helpful to this post (Any other moderators who disagree, please overrule me), as although we're moving away from the original topic more into CSV exporting, the software is still relevant for copying and examining database tables. However, further discussion of the system would be best made at cubecart.org. :(

Guest alholloway

I tried to move my store within my webspace and have made a hash of it. My latest effort to follow the manual install and paste new code into a Global file and fiddle with the SQL - all way over my head. The current error reads:

MySQL Error Occured

1146: Table 'turtlemout.CubeCart_config' doesn't exist

QUERY = SELECT array FROM CubeCart_config WHERE name = 'config'

I have no idea what it means so if someone can help, please do.

All I wanted to do was move turtlemouth.co.uk/store to turtlemouth.co.uk. A simple wish...

Guest Brivtech

I tried to move my store within my webspace and have made a hash of it. My latest effort to follow the manual install and paste new code into a Global file and fiddle with the SQL - all way over my head. The current error reads:

MySQL Error Occured

1146: Table 'turtlemout.CubeCart_config' doesn't exist

QUERY = SELECT array FROM CubeCart_config WHERE name = 'config'

I have no idea what it means so if someone can help, please do.

All I wanted to do was move turtlemouth.co.uk/store to turtlemouth.co.uk. A simple wish...

Okay, lets see if we can get you running again - Need to answer a few sets of questions...

Do you still have a backup of the SQL code?

Do you still have the original database on the server with the original code?

Can you post up a copy of your includes/global.inc.php file (Removing passwords)?

Finally, did you have many products?

The error message suggests that Cubecart is looking for your database tables, but can't find them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alholloway

Hiya

Thanks for the advice. I ended up resetting my domain and reinstalling CC3 - it was a trial store so no great data loss. Thanks for your advice and support */*