www.mydomain.com/store/ doesn't work 4 me

Guest providencebooks

Guest providencebooks

I have just used Filezilla to upload the cart into the directory for my site. I am at the part that tells me to pull up http://www.mydomain.com/store/ but when I do this it is a page from my hosting company showing an error 404, the browser can not find the document associated with this url

I have just used Filezilla to upload the cart into the directory for my site. I am at the part that tells me to pull up http://www.mydomain.com/store/ but when I do this it is a page from my hosting company showing an error 404, the browser can not find the document associated with this url
Have you read the readme.txt file the is in the download?

What is the name of your domain?

Guest providencebooks

I got it working, but I was trying to change somethings so I could post it along side an already built site, so now I have to start over again. One of my problems is that I wing alot of things, being a rookie and all, and then I forget exactly how I did it.

I got it working, but I was trying to change somethings so I could post it along side an already built site, so now I have to start over again. One of my problems is that I wing alot of things, being a rookie and all, and then I forget exactly how I did it.

Oh, my domain is www.providencebooksource.com I also have no idea how to control my directories and such, in my control panel from my hosting company....1and1 is the company.

Oh, my domain is www.providencebooksource.com I also have no idea how to control my directories and such, in my control panel from my hosting company....1and1 is the company.

what does 1 and 1 tech support tell you?

Guest Brivtech

This can all be done via FTP. You can add directories and change your includes/global.inc file to reflect the path changes.

That's what I was going to say, then I saw he had FTP because he's already uploaded CubeCart.

Perhaps this is a case of confusing the hosting control panel (Which is used to manage hosting services) with the FTP client (Which is used to manage the website files, a bit like windows explorer).

I'm also wondering if he's trying to access a file from an imaginary folder like /store/, when none has been set up.

Also, the website he's given seems to be a directory page, which is probably the parked page of the hosting company.

It appears to me that either nothing has actually been uploaded yet, or we simply don't know the name of the folder that it's been uploaded to.

providence, one thing to watch out for is capital letters! if you have a folder called Store, and type store in, it won't be read because of the capital S. As a rule, keep everything in lower case for simplicity.

Guest providencebooks

This can all be done via FTP. You can add directories and change your includes/global.inc file to reflect the path changes.

That's what I was going to say, then I saw he had FTP because he's already uploaded CubeCart.

Perhaps this is a case of confusing the hosting control panel (Which is used to manage hosting services) with the FTP client (Which is used to manage the website files, a bit like windows explorer).

I'm also wondering if he's trying to access a file from an imaginary folder like /store/, when none has been set up.

Also, the website he's given seems to be a directory page, which is probably the parked page of the hosting company.

It appears to me that either nothing has actually been uploaded yet, or we simply don't know the name of the folder that it's been uploaded to.

providence, one thing to watch out for is capital letters! if you have a folder called Store, and type store in, it won't be read because of the capital S. As a rule, keep everything in lower case for simplicity.

Okay, I got it uploaded to another domain at this point. The domain it is at is www.providencebookclub.com.

I think those of you who saw the directory page, was looking at my site when it was in the middle of changing over.

What I would like to know is how I can keep the look of www.providencebooksource.com and use the cart that is on www.providencebookclub.com.

I am also thinking of changing hosting companies, so I will not get this up and running until I make a decision. has anyone ever heard of lunarpages.com? If so are they any good?

Guest Brivtech

Okay, I got it uploaded to another domain at this point. The domain it is at is www.providencebookclub.com.

I think those of you who saw the directory page, was looking at my site when it was in the middle of changing over.

What I would like to know is how I can keep the look of www.providencebooksource.com and use the cart that is on www.providencebookclub.com.

Firstly, change over your skin (template). Using the Killer skin is closer to what you ahve on source.com. You can then change the setttings over in the .css and .tpl files of CubeCart to make it match.

One thing to watch out for (as it cost me a few hours having to put it right), if you are running 2 separate websites, even though it may be the same company, and same graphics, make sure the graphics for the CubeCart-based site are not linked to the other site. If you eventually add a SSL certificate, you'll get browser warnings for every page in the secure area telling you that you have secure and non-secure items.

I am also thinking of changing hosting companies, so I will not get this up and running until I make a decision. has anyone ever heard of lunarpages.com? If so are they any good?

There's literally thousands of hosting companies. Some of us who help out on CubeCart even offer hosting. If you've had recommendations to a hosting service then go with them. I've never heard of Lunarpages, so can't make comment. Unfortunately due to new forum rules, we are no longer allowed to promote links to commercial products or services.

Whoever you use, make sure they offer good bandwidth, and good support. More often than not, people are complaining because they can't get in touch with the hosting company to sort some problem out.

Guest providencebooks

Firstly, change over your skin (template). Using the Killer skin is closer to what you ahve on source.com. You can then change the setttings over in the .css and .tpl files of CubeCart to make it match.

One thing to watch out for (as it cost me a few hours having to put it right), if you are running 2 separate websites, even though it may be the same company, and same graphics, make sure the graphics for the CubeCart-based site are not linked to the other site. If you eventually add a SSL certificate, you'll get browser warnings for every page in the secure area telling you that you have secure and non-secure items.

There's literally thousands of hosting companies. Some of us who help out on CubeCart even offer hosting. If you've had recommendations to a hosting service then go with them. I've never heard of Lunarpages, so can't make comment. Unfortunately due to new forum rules, we are no longer allowed to promote links to commercial products or services.

Whoever you use, make sure they offer good bandwidth, and good support. More often than not, people are complaining because they can't get in touch with the hosting company to sort some problem out.

Thank you guys for all your help. The company I am with now offers more bandwidth than the other that I am looking at, but their service is miserable. I could always pay for extra bandwidth when it gets to that point. I look forward to the day when I can be of assistance to someone else.

I wanted to ask a question about CubeCart as a company. How can CubeCart afford to let a little guy like myself use their shopping cart totally free? I mean it is much nicer than any of the paid carts I thought I was going to have to consider.

This cart is crisp and clean, and I love the look. So how can it be free? It seems to good to be true.

You said, "Whoever you use, make sure they offer good bandwidth, and good support. More often than not, people are complaining because they can't get in touch with the hosting company to sort some problem out."

Respectfully, I disagree. If you look at what is popularly offered and shouted about, you'll find that footprint (server space) and bandwidth (volume, not speed of the connection) are heavily touted.

That's because those are basically meaningless metrics. Those who push them know that and I discount their integrity and ultimate trustworthiness for that reason alone. Useless promises are a cousin to false promises.

How many shopping carts consumes 100mb of space? And how many need a few gigs of up/down traffic per months? I'm willing to make a money bet that of all the carts shown in the forums here, and all those listed in the Sales section of CC as examples, fewer than 10% exceed 25 mb of space or have anywhere near a gig of traffic per month.

Those two measurements, in my opinion, to put the best possible face on them, are useless in choosing a host. Server space and bandwidth are cheap.

Here's what really matters:

1) how long has the host been in business?

2) does it publish - without your begging for it - a verifiable, generous list of clients whom you can query regarding their years of experience with the host?

3) what Administrative Control Panel does it offer? If it's cPanel - you have the best. If it's Exim - and unless they have changed their email system - get ready to have your system clogged with spam. If it's a home grown panel of their own, go back and consider item #2 again.

4) What tech support do they provide? Tech Support is not cheap. a $10 per year host cannot provide any worth mentioning. Until you get into the $20 per month range, you won't get much of any Tech Support when the emergency hits.

Regardless of price, can you get support on the phone at 3am New Years Day? Will they respond to an email ticket within an hour? Who provides that Tech Support. Is the person you speak with an outsource in India, Bulgaria, Dominican Republic, or maybe even someplace you never even heard of? Or is he/she in North America or England or some other country with native-speakers of English?

Does your hosting package include a variety (not just one) of sohisticated Web Traffic Analysis tools such as Awstats, Urchin, Webalizer, etc. so you can find out what's happening or not happening when you do promotions or pay-per-click ads? Do you get access to complementary programs such as forums, support tickets for your customers, etc?

Bottom line, unless you are building a store just for the experience to add to your skills, if you expect to build a business and make a profit, low price and fluff-ball metrics should be the last thing on your mind.

And don't kid yourself that you can start out with cheap hosting and then upgrade after you are making real money. You will never get there that way.

Just do a search in these forums and you will find a tale of woe almost everyday about hosting companies that disappear, taking all the files with them, hosts who put your domain in their name and then hold you up for more bucks, hosts who . . .

There's more, but I hear myself ranting - and that's not pretty.

Guest providencebooks

You said, "Whoever you use, make sure they offer good bandwidth, and good support. More often than not, people are complaining because they can't get in touch with the hosting company to sort some problem out."

Respectfully, I disagree. If you look at what is popularly offered and shouted about, you'll find that footprint (server space) and bandwidth (volume, not speed of the connection) are heavily touted.

That's because those are basically meaningless metrics. Those who push them know that and I discount their integrity and ultimate trustworthiness for that reason alone. Useless promises are a cousin to false promises.

How many shopping carts consumes 100mb of space? And how many need a few gigs of up/down traffic per months? I'm willing to make a money bet that of all the carts shown in the forums here, and all those listed in the Sales section of CC as examples, fewer than 10% exceed 25 mb of space or have anywhere near a gig of traffic per month.

Those two measurements, in my opinion, to put the best possible face on them, are useless in choosing a host. Server space and bandwidth are cheap.

2) does it publish - without your begging for it - a verifiable, generous list of clients whom you can query regarding their years of experience with the host?

3) what Administrative Control Panel does it offer? If it's cPanel - you have the best. If it's Exim - and unless they have changed their email system - get ready to have your system clogged with spam. If it's a home grown panel of their own, go back and consider item #2 again.

4) What tech support do they provide? Tech Support is not cheap. a $10 per year host cannot provide any worth mentioning. Until you get into the $20 per month range, you won't get much of any Tech Support when the emergency hits.

Regardless of price, can you get support on the phone at 3am New Years Day? Will they respond to an email ticket within an hour? Who provides that Tech Support. Is the person you speak with an outsource in India, Bulgaria, Dominican Republic, or maybe even someplace you never even heard of? Or is he/she in North America or England or some other country with native-speakers of English?

Does your hosting package include a variety (not just one) of sohisticated Web Traffic Analysis tools such as Awstats, Urchin, Webalizer, etc. so you can find out what's happening or not happening when you do promotions or pay-per-click ads? Do you get access to complementary programs such as forums, support tickets for your customers, etc?

Bottom line, unless you are building a store just for the experience to add to your skills, if you expect to build a business and make a profit, low price and fluff-ball metrics should be the last thing on your mind.

And don't kid yourself that you can start out with cheap hosting and then upgrade after you are making real money. You will never get there that way.

Just do a search in these forums and you will find a tale of woe almost everyday about hosting companies that disappear, taking all the files with them, hosts who put your domain in their name and then hold you up for more bucks, hosts who . . .

There's more, but I hear myself ranting - and that's not pretty.

Thank you for your input. I really like your being upfront. I have to say that the more I come on here the more I love CubeCart. You guys know what the deal is.

Guest Brivtech

You said, "Whoever you use, make sure they offer good bandwidth, and good support. More often than not, people are complaining because they can't get in touch with the hosting company to sort some problem out." Respectfully, I disagree. If you look at what is popularly offered and shouted about, you'll find that footprint (server space) and bandwidth (volume, not speed of the connection) are heavily touted. That's because those are basically meaningless metrics. Those who push them know that and I discount their integrity and ultimate trustworthiness for that reason alone. Useless promises are a cousin to false promises.

You are entitled to your opinion, I was just briefly summarising some points, so as not to hijack this topic with hosting issues. We could have a whole separate forum for that. Not everyone who signs up to hosting will be putting just a shopping cart on it. Some people take advantage of the hosting space and use private areas to upload photo albums, and even their music collection. What about corporate websites where they have lots of PDFs? I didn't say that they should be the ONLY pre-requisites. They are certainly not meaningless with some of our customers.

How many shopping carts consumes 100mb of space? And how many need a few gigs of up/down traffic per months?

Depends on your market: If you sell downloads, this eats bandwidth very quickly. We deal with a customer who sells digital stock photos for advertising and promotional use, they're high resolution, approx 2.5MB each compressed! The customer has around 2000 photos, so already, that's 5GB taken. The downloads eat bandwidth, as does customers viewing watermarked thumbnails that average about 50K each. Imagine browsing through a catalogue of 2000 images at 50K each.

We have several other customers who create amateur movies, and sell them as downloads. They usually offer 3 versions for download, priced accordingly. These range from a high-compression WMV at around 5MB through to a DVD image file at around 4GB. Here a LOT of bandwidth is needed. We're going to be putting these customers onto Cubecart in the near future, as before they've been setting up their downloads through Paypal, and then emailing the customer with a link.

I'm not trying to contradict you, as I agree that only promoting bandwidth and web space should not be the ONLY focus, anyone signing up to web hosting needs to have researched their requirements, and gone for hosting that is suitably adapted. But, it is something that I have seen people overlook, and is important to consider. If you're just a one-man band who uses a CubeCart shop to sell a handfull of products for pocket money, then I agree, it's not going to be an issue, but my philosophy is to think bigger, and help the customer expand into bigger markets through proper marketing.

This isn't exactly the most important factor. A lot of good hosting companies are new startups. I would say more, how long have they been in business and maintained their quality of service? I have come across hosting companies that have been around for a long time, and are lousy at what they do. They have a catchy household name, but that's about it.

With our design service, we have a lot of customers who do not wish for us to publish their details. They are professional clients, and we have to respect their wishes. At the end of the day, you can't always promote everything you do. These customers pay a lot of money for their privacy, and whilst it's an opportunity lost of promoting customers, it's an opportunity gained of getting an order in and subsequently getting the money in when the work is complete. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush!

Not necessarily the case, so long as it provides adequate functionality and control. Most hosting companies offer spam control these days, or at the very least spam filters.

Yes, this is certainly important as I mentioned in my previous post! However, do realise that the majority of email technical support offered by hosting companies is at least next working day. I would recommend that 24 hour telephone support is very important. Even if you need to phone an overseas number, a 10 munite call can solve a LOT of problems! An example of bad technical support is AOL: as part of our consultancy, for a client, I spent about an hour on the phone to them, could hardly understand the guy's accent, and he was recommeding I reformet my computer and re-install AOL because the problem wasn't in his script. When he gave up, I revisited the problem, and found out that there was a DIP switch set to the wrong position on the actual modem card. Fortunately I didn't follow his instructions. Even if you have a good support system, you have to query the quality of the content and this can't always be measured before signing up - This is why I believe it's important to follow recommendations as I stated earlier.

Actually, it's been my experience that some hosting companies offer a load of freebies, but lousy service. Most of those things can be found on the internet as open-source downloads anyway, but also, most hosts these days offer these toold in some form or another - But usually on shared hosting. You'll find on professional dedicated server hosting packages, you have to put your own in.

I wouldn't exactly want to start off with expensive hosting, and find myself wasting money because the venture hasn't gone the way I wanted at the outset. If anything, I think it should be important to offer hosting that can be improved and upgraded with little inconvenience - To effortlessly grow with the business. Finally, I want to add, that if your hosting company had loads of free ads and sponsored links all over their website, question why they need to do so.

Perhaps you should start a hosting pros and cons topic in the general discussion area.

Guest providencebooks

what does 1 and 1 tech support tell you?

1and1 tells me that I need to go to the FAQ's to find the answer. I even had a guy hang up on me. When I emailed them to let them know that someone hung the phone up on me they replied with a note telling me to check my FAQ's. I will find another company.

Guest Brivtech

1and1 tells me that I need to go to the FAQ's to find the answer. I even had a guy hang up on me. When I emailed them to let them know that someone hung the phone up on me they replied with a note telling me to check my FAQ's. I will find another company.

I would definetly agree!