Platinum Pro Sports' Website

Guest Zraxius

Guest Zraxius

Hello, everyone. Any constructive criticism on the Platinum Pro Sports site would be GREATLY appreciated. One major problem I am already aware of are the images. I am currently in the painstaking process of optimizing them...........primarily by converting all images to GIF and making all white backgrounds transparent. If anyone has any ideas on how to simplify this process, then I'm all ears(or eyes I guess). I am sure there are many other flaws as well, so please feel free to point them out so that I may continue to improve.

www.platinumprosports.com

Guest Zraxius

Very impressive work. I have no other comments except to say that you've done a terrific job. One of the best CC sites I've seen.

Thank you VERY much roban.

That's a fantastic site you've created. Great work! :)

My only critics are the blue cart buttons, when the mouse hovers the text turn blue with an underline. The text is then not very readable. And it's hard to find the homepage link... but it doesn't really matter, as it's a fantastic site! :errm:

I agree that it's excellent.

That menu structure is superb!. Next time I need a multiCategory/subCat menu I'm going to ask you to sell me a mod.

Two suggestions:

1) you might want to reconsider the size of that home page graphic of the football helmet . That is valuable real estate to be taken up by a generic pic that could be on any other sports web site. Were it mine to do, I'd make that graphic smaller - or eliminate completely and allow one more row of porducts to show "above the fold."

Alternatively, you could use Photoshop to make that graphic extremely light and use it as a background image in that cell for the site description text that begins, "Sports Gifts, Novelties, and Collectors' Items"

2) the primary nav menu lacks a link called "home." Yes, I know that the logo has a link that serves that function. But you are assuming that all your visitors know that a logo can also be a link to the home page. As for the "home" link in the footer, it doesn't come close to equaling one in the primary nav menu. Why make it difficult?

But other than my whining, great job !

I want to add another compliment. You obviously realize there is more to a succesful shopping cart than a pretty face.

I've only looked at the Pitts Steeler products (because my favorite lady is an insane fan) but it surely is not co-incidence that you list the most expensive (and therefore probably your best gross profit) products at the top of the products list. That's smart merchandising.

When you go ito a supermarket (at least this applies in the USA), you always come in through the perishables department (fruits, veggies, etc) because that is perhaps the highest margin product category. The deli counter and cheeses are often next in line for a similar reason. The milk and bread, which are the lowest, are in the back corner.

You've applied the same wisdom.

Well done.

Guest Zraxius

Thank you everyone for your comments! You are making me feel as if my site may actually do well! I will take your advice Robsta and jersyjoe on making the homepage links more visible. I will have it placed somwhere in the nav menu: I was thinking either above "about us" or above "browse products"

jerseyjoe: I so badly just want to keep my mouth shut about this, but I can't. - The order of the Steelers' product lineup was simply happenstance. Truth be told. If I completely had it my way. I believe I'd have the more marketable, and more interesting products show first. I still greatly appreciate your criticism and praise.

Robsta: In regard to the blue mouseover cart buttons, can you specify on which buttons you're talking about? Also, which browser are you using, and are you using any custom Windows themes/skins?

roban, vrakas, ansuk, MoNeY4LiFe: Thank you very much for your praise.

jerseyjoe: I so badly just want to keep my mouth shut about this, but I can't. - The order of the Steelers' product lineup was simply happenstance. Truth be told. If I completely had it my way. I believe I'd have the more marketable, and more interesting products show first. I still greatly appreciate your criticism and praise.
It should be interesting to see how your happenstance works out.

I would also point out that while a car dealer advertises his "best deals, when you get to the showroom, he has the most loaded cars on display.

But, I think you will do well with the site. It truly is excellent.

Robsta: In regard to the blue mouseover cart buttons, can you specify on which buttons you're talking about? Also, which browser are you using, and are you using any custom Windows themes/skins?
The blue cart buttons... in Internet Explorer 6. It looks fine in FF.

Guest Zraxius

Point noted jerseyjoe. I'll keep that car dealership analogy in mind. Robsta, I see what you mean. I'm hoping that the current appearance of the buttons in the not-so standards compliant IE6 is forgiveable for now. The public may be switching to IE7 in the near future anyway, which may fix the way those buttons look. I'm glad you pointed this out though.

Guest vrakas

Just a latest moment comment (please dont get me wrong),

i would register CC if i were you (for the support, no copyright notices, registered client, etc) :)

but on the other hand if you dont,

then its a great advert for CC that its designing has no limits ;)

A true masterpiece you got there well done and a big thumbs up to show that you really can have a professional looking cart if you spend a little time or money on cubecart.

I'm hoping that the current appearance of the buttons in the not-so standards compliant IE6 is forgiveable for now. The public may be switching to IE7 in the near future anyway, which may fix the way those buttons look. I'm glad you pointed this out though.
It's easy to fix it, just create an "a:hover" for ".checkoutBtn" and ".checkoutBtn2" CSS to counteract the effect.

Guest SaraW

that's the nicest cubecart site I've ever seen, much nicer than the commercial ones!!!!

You must have alot of knowledge....I'm just a newbie...for how long have you been designing and is there any way that I can get as good as you at this ;) ?

So how long did it take you to design, create and test?

...much nicer than the commercial ones.
I would certainly expect completely bespoke designs to be better than the commercial skins on .org. It's a completely different market, and in a different price range.

Guest Zraxius

vrakas: I do plan on registering CC very soon

evilhomer: Much thanks!

Robsta:Thank you. I will look into getting that button changed then. To answer your question: a total of 2 years to get the site right. (I'm all too ready to make a return on my investment.)

SaraW: Thank you very much. I am also a newbie, and cannot take full credit for the design. I was able to obtain a GREAT deal of help from a professional designer at Streamlineweb.com.

Guest Zraxius

Muchos gracias Brivtech

Thanks for the advice convict. But I'm not quite picking up on what you're puttin' down. Would you elaborate a little more on the "<option> items"?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest netrix

I'm going to put in my vote to have this as one of the case studies on cubecart.com's main site. Excellent job! For the case studies on the main page it would be awesome to have the CC staff check back with the owner in say 3 month intervals and delve deeper into what makes them successful. For example you could have them elaborate on what worked in terms of advertising, what payment methods / or processors they like or don't like... etc. Thanks to the staff for a great product!

• 1 month later...