3.1.0 Question

Noodleman

I was just looking at the screenshots for 3.1.0, and it appears that there is a complete overhaul to the way that images are handled within CC.

I presume this is now using more of the features offered within GD, and other such image packages commonly found on web-servers. Can somebody confirm this?

This could possibly cause me a problem in the future with my web-host, as they are restrictive about the amount of memory available, which has stopped me offering things such as gallerys before as image functions chew a lot of memory.

Are the thumbnails going to be produced on the fly, IE, using more server resources, or as I believe they are currenly done, produced at the time of upload, and then linked to?

If I need to move hosts to upgrade to 3.1.0 when it is available, i would like to start planning sooner, rather than later :D

Thanks,

Guest vrakas

Not so sure about this yet but i can promise you that servers will be available to handle the new version and unless your server is not updated then you shouldnt have any problems with the current one :D

I do not beleive that this matter (if any) has not been considered allready <_<

If you are having to many restrictions and you are not satisfied with your current hosting solution then i would suggest you start looking ;)

Not so sure about this yet but i can promise you that servers will be available to handle the new version and unless your server is not updated then you shouldnt have any problems with the current one :D

I do not beleive that this matter (if any) has not been considered allready <_<

If you are having to many restrictions and you are not satisfied with your current hosting solution then i would suggest you start looking ;)

Im quite happy with my hosting, but I am aware that I am limited to 8mb of memory, which i cant get around even with a .htaccess file. Because of the way CC works at the moment, its not causing me any problems at all,however if in the new version the GD functions (or other image processor) are used more, it will use more memory, and thus cause a problem.

I will move host if i need to, However it would be good to get a heads up if i need to start looking now :)

:)

Guest Brivtech

From what I hear and what Brooky has re-iterated several times, the new version is more of a completed version of 3.0.10 (Which is actually a beta version).

The Core (Although with some possible minor modifications) is essentially that of 3.0.10, the main differences are improvements to functionality, and minor improvements in the code.

Guest EverythingWeb

Hello,

The way that thumbnails are handled will be ever so slightly different, but not deviating too far from the current setup.

Basically, thumbnails are created at some point either before or on the first view of a product. Essentially this will remain the same, however you will have the option to *manually* re-make the thumbnails, thus only the same amount of server resources being used.

I would highly doubt that your 8MB limit is going to post any problems.

Guest igner

Hello,

The way that thumbnails are handled will be ever so slightly different, but not deviating too far from the current setup.

Basically, thumbnails are created at some point either before or on the first view of a product. Essentially this will remain the same, however you will have the option to *manually* re-make the thumbnails, thus only the same amount of server resources being used.

I would highly doubt that your 8MB limit is going to post any problems.

And just because you didn't explicitly state it - I assume the images ARE still cached. So they're only ever created once unless you CHOOSE to re-create them. Is that correct?

I can absolutely confirm what EverythingWeb said. The thumbs are created upon product upload with the ability to recreate them any time you choose.

Now Brivtech. What on earth makes you say that 3.0.10 is a beta version? I've seen you say this before and it never ceases to confuse me.

3.1.0 has changes to a lot of core features as well as the addition of many more core features on top of a myriad of supporting features. It is a LOT more than simply a polishing of 3.0.10.....otherwise it would be 3.0.11.

Please get your facts straight before you confuse more people.

:(

Guest Brivtech

I saw EvilHomer mention it somewhere on here once. Blame him for the confusion. :(

EDIT:

Here's the very post: http://www.cubecart.com/site/forums/index....indpost&p=38309

I haven't yet come across any posts that suggest to the contrary. Also, when numbering versions, surely a final release version of 3.0.x should have come out at 3.1? Can someone clarify this further to brush away the confusion here?

That post is a year old. At that point in time, it WAS still beta. Hence the 'b' in any version numbers. Let me explain software versioning a bit.

You typically have 3 postions in a version number

AA.BB.CC

AA is a MAJOR Version - Doesn't usually change without a complete rewrite of the code.

BB is a major revision - This signifies significant improvements in code and or functionality, but not complete rewrites.

CC is a minor revision - Usually bug fixes and minor changes and improvements.

Now, outside that system you also have Alpha and Beta designations.

3.1.0a0 -- That will be the first revision that Brooky makes available to the alpha testing team. This is where a select group of people find several little things that Brooky didn't think to test for/with. It's quite common for the Alpha team to find lots of issues. It could go through several a## revisions before it's decided to release as a beta.

3.1.0.b0 -- This will be the first beta release of 3.1.0. This will be the first publicly-available version of 3.1.0. It probably still has some bugs and will NOT be recommended for live or production stores. The purpose of the beta is to get the software installed in more places with a wider array of testing criteria. Again, there could be several b## releases.

3.1.0 with no 'a' or 'b' after it will be considered the first Gold release of the new revision. This means that Devellion and its testers et al believe the software is sufficiently stable enough to recommend for everybody out there.

Now, there are occasions where you jump several revision numbers at once. This usually represents a major core programming change, but not a significant software flow or functionality change. Such a case would be the pondered 3.5.0 which will add in a full "plug-n-play" capability for mods and such. That change will need rewrites of nearly every file in the system, but it will all still look and feel mostly the same to users and admins alike. Hence why it's not 4.0.0.

Hope this helps shed some light on things.

:w00t:

Guest EverythingWeb

Excellent explanation Sir_William! I am sure a lot of people will understand more clearly now the way that CubeCart is 'versioned'.