CubeCart Version Numbering Tutorial

There have been a few people who are confused by the numbering system employed by Devellion for CubeCart. Let me see if I can help make it easier to understand. :D

You typically have 3 postions in a version number

AA.BB.CC

AA is a MAJOR Version - Doesn't usually change without a complete rewrite of the code.

BB is a major revision - This signifies significant improvements in code and or functionality, but not complete rewrites.

CC is a minor revision - Usually bug fixes and minor changes and improvements.

Now, outside that system you also have Alpha and Beta designations.

3.1.0a0 -- That will be the first revision that Brooky makes available to the alpha testing team. This is where a select group of people find several little things that Brooky didn't think to test for/with. It's quite common for the Alpha team to find lots of issues. It could go through several a## revisions before it's decided to release as a beta.

3.1.0.b0 -- This will be the first beta release of 3.1.0. This will be the first publicly-available version of 3.1.0. It probably still has some bugs and will NOT be recommended for live or production stores. The purpose of the beta is to get the software installed in more places with a wider array of testing criteria. Again, there could be several b## releases.

3.1.0 with no 'a' or 'b' after it will be considered the first Gold release of the new revision. This means that Devellion and its testers et al believe the software is sufficiently stable enough to recommend for everybody out there.

Now, there are occasions where you jump several revision numbers at once. This usually represents a major core programming change, but not a significant software flow or functionality change. Such a case would be the pondered 3.5.0 which will add in a full "plug-n-play" capability for mods and such. That change will need rewrites of nearly every file in the system, but it will all still look and feel mostly the same to users and admins alike. Hence why it's not 4.0.0.

The other thing I'd like to clarify is that 3.0.10 is NOT the same as 3.1.0. Also, when you're saying the versions aloud, it's read "three dot zero dot ten" or occasionally "three zero ten".

Hope this helps shed some light on things.

:w00t:

Guest EverythingWeb

I am locking this thread so that it doesn't turn into a discussion about the upcoming 3.1.0 release. Questions/queries relating to this should be in the proper threads.

Thanks Sir_William!