Customer Comments not being saved to admin panel

Guest steveriley

Guest steveriley

Hi all.. i have nearly finished a new store but my last problem is that my customer comments are not being saved and i can't see them in the admin panel.

Has anyone had this problem before or does anyone know what it might be?

Thanks for any help!

Steve

Guest EverythingWeb

Where are you looking?

They are usually stored in the Order Detail screen, just underneath the delivery address, if my memory serves me well.

Guest steveriley

Thats where i'm looking.. It always says "no customer comments left" just as if i had not entered anything in the customer comments section on Step5 of the order process.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Most of the time, any comments left by my customers do show up on the order screen, but I have seen at least 1 order where a customer entered comments and it did NOT show up on the order screen. The only reason I know about the customer comments is because they were included on the email that I (as administrator) get when a customer places an order.

There might be a conflict somewhere that is preventing the comments from getting fully recorded in the database in specific cases, but I only have the 1 experience with it - certainly not enough to establish a pattern.

I just searched to see if anyone had this same problem happen. Today I received an order and through the e-mail I seen he had asked a question. So later when I was able to respond, I looked at the order on the Admin panel and just seen 'No Comments were left.'.

So I take it there is no fix yet for this problem?

Just to add onto that. I did check the actual database and the comments were never saved...Good thing I don't throw away those order e-mails!

Guest steveriley

Thanks for the info guys!

So is this a bug with cubecart or is it a problem with my installation?

Does anyone else use this customer comments function with no problems?

Thanks again!

Steve

• 6 months later...
Guest jharr53301

I'm having the same issue.

Thanks for the info guys!

So is this a bug with cubecart or is it a problem with my installation?

Does anyone else use this customer comments function with no problems?

Thanks again!

Steve

I'm experiencing the same problem... we have products that can be autographed and the customer is supposed to type the name to be autographed in the "customer comments" field underneath the payment method selection.

None of the customer comments are being SENT in the order notice email, and they are not being SAVED/RECORDED in the order area in the admin panel.

Any help or fix for this would be appreciated as soon as possible.

Guest braggcreek

I have the same problem. I removed the comment form.

A possible fix:

Try changing this line in includes/content/gateway.inc.php:

$cart->setVar($_POST['customer_comments'],"customer_comments");

To this:

$basket = $cart->setVar($_POST['customer_comments'],"customer_comments");

It didn't work for me, but may work for you. I think it's due to particular server configurations.

Hmm...still no information on this problem huh? We are willing to pay, if needed, to find a solutions. Please send a PM if you can fix.

Do the developers read this forum? Just wondering...I'm sure they are busy with other things but thought they might have a solution.

Thanks to everyone who offers help on the boards..it's appreciated.

Guest kaskudoo

we experience this problem only sometimes.

we will eventually implement a mod that puts a text input field to certain products .... it is a mod by estelle http://cubecart.expandingbrain.com/cubecart-3-mods/text-input-fields-for-products/prod_1.html

• 1 month later...

I think I may have found a pattern to this problem. In my store, all comments are saved EXCEPT when a customer uses the Authorize.net gateway.

When an order is free, comments are saved.

When an order is paid via PayPal, comments are saved.

When an order is paid via Authorize.net, comments are NOT saved.

These are the only gateways that I've been able to track. There may be other gateways that have the same problem too.

Can anyone confirm this?

I think I may have found a pattern to this problem. In my store, all comments are saved EXCEPT when a customer uses the Authorize.net gateway.

These are the only gateways that I've been able to track. There may be other gateways that have the same problem too.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, Authorize AIM is doing it to me. Looking for a solution...

Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, Authorize AIM is doing it to me. Looking for a solution...

Anyone figured this out? I have been looking at the scripts and can't quite figure out where the comments are getting lost in the transfer to the Authorize page. If anyone can give me the actual script where the order is written, I will try to track back on it so see where they are lost.

I have traced it down a bit. I noticed that if you go up to the CC form (which is where CC saves the initial order to the DB), the comments are saved. Since it seems that the problem occurs when the order is placed through an AIM approach and the Authorize_AIM module form template doesn't have the {VAL_CUSTOMER_COMMENTS} in the form, I'm thinking that it is getting rewritten on the return since it isn't present in the form page. That is why paypal and free items would save the comments, you aren't using on board AIM forms and there is no rewriting of the information when the form is sent to the gateway.

I need to put a store in test mode and try it with new form elements added. I will do that in the middle of the night and report back.

It is definitely symptomatic of the AIM method. If you do any other type of transaction or stop at the embedded form for Authorize_AIM, it shows the order written correctly in the admin database. As soon as you complete the gateway transaction it appears to burn the comments when it returns to update the order status from 1 to 2.

I figure it has to be happening here in the includes/orderSuccess.inc.php script:

// update order status to payment received

$data['status'] = 2;

$update = $db->update($glob['dbprefix']."CubeCart_order_sum", $data,"cart_order_id=".$db->mySQLSafe($cart_order_id));

I looked at the $db->update() method and it seems fine. The single element array $data['status'] should be the only thing updated in the table but somehow the comments are getting burned on the return because they are in the table when the order is in pending mode.

Brooky HEEEELLLLPPPP!

Guest rdwilder

We had the same issue and added a quick mod to gateway.inc.php. Since we know that the comments are in the basket before we transfer to AIM, but deleted upon return, we figured the quickest thing to do was to retrieve the originally saved comments and add them back into the string that AIM updates.

Here's the code snippet:

Add right after: $orderSum['time'] = $db->mySQLSafe(time());

// fix for customer comments

if(empty($_POST['customer_comments'])){

$orderSum['customer_comments'] = $db->mySQLSafe($basket['customer_comments']);

$basket = $cart->setVar($basket['customer_comments'],"customer_comments");

} else {

$orderSum['customer_comments'] = $db->mySQLSafe($_POST['customer_comments']);

}

It's a hack, but it works. Many thanks to RL.

We had the same issue and added a quick mod to gateway.inc.php. Since we know that the comments are in the basket before we transfer to AIM, but deleted upon return, we figured the quickest thing to do was to retrieve the originally saved comments and add them back into the string that AIM updates.

Here's the code snippet:

Add right after: $orderSum['time'] = $db->mySQLSafe(time());

// fix for customer comments

if(empty($_POST['customer_comments'])){

$orderSum['customer_comments'] = $db->mySQLSafe($basket['customer_comments']);

$basket = $cart->setVar($basket['customer_comments'],"customer_comments");

} else {

}

It's a hack, but it works. Many thanks to RL.

Many thanks to you for that! I will test it out tonight.

Hack, schmak. If it works it is a "mod" as far as I'm concerned.

Many thanks!! I've just added the code to my installation.

The line right after

$orderSum['time'] = $db->mySQLSafe(time());

is the default customer comment line, 

which has to be commented out (or replaced) when adding the proposed code.

As far as the 'mod' nature of this, I consider it more a bug fix than a mod.

Many thanks!! I've just added the code to my installation.

The line right after

$orderSum['time'] = $db->mySQLSafe(time());

is the default customer comment line, 

which has to be commented out (or replaced) when adding the proposed code.

As far as the 'mod' nature of this, I consider it more a bug fix than a mod.

Whatever you call it, it works. Thanks very much for sharing it!

Guest kaskudoo

we experience the problem with the payment modules from paypal pro.

can i use this hack for those as well?

i only have sometimes the comment on the order email i get from the store - but never inside the admin panel.

if this works, it would save me a bit of hassle - shipped out sth. today for free, since we did not see the comment by a buyer requesting a special product extra ...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

this is definitely a bug fix and I have spent all morning fixing clients websites who use authorize.net

this code change should be made part of the current version of cubecart 3

and hopefully has made it its way into the CubeCart 4

nice Job RdWilder!!!!

Kinetic