How do i get my header to be the same size as the page?

Guest eLlIoTg

Guest eLlIoTg

i want to do this but i make headers in adobe photshop and i have to fiddle with the position of the image tpo get exactly where i want it.

can't i just make a header the same size as the canvas [on photoshop] then fiddle with the styles to get it where i wanted

i heard somebody say sometyhing bout a table, how would i achieve this.

Thanks in advance

elliot g

Guest lcools

I made my header in photoshop with a width of 897 pixels and it fits perfectly. I'm using classic.

i want to do this but i make headers in adobe photshop and i have to fiddle with the position of the image tpo get exactly where i want it.

can't i just make a header the same size as the canvas [on photoshop] then fiddle with the styles to get it where i wanted

i heard somebody say sometyhing bout a table, how would i achieve this.

Thanks in advance

elliot g

I made my header in photoshop with a width of 897 pixels and it fits perfectly. I'm using classic.
That size would not be friendly to the milllions of users who have their monitors configured for 800 by 600. Of course, if you think they have no money to spend, or if you have a personal agenda that does not include them as customers, that's a different story. :dizzy:

Guest lcools

That size would not be friendly to the milllions of users who have their monitors configured for 800 by 600. Of course, if you think they have no money to spend, or if you have a personal agenda that does not include them as customers, that's a different story. :dizzy:

agenda...no money....hmmm...sounds like you are having a bad day...anyway, thanks for the heads-up, but on my browser the site looks the same at 600 x 480 as with a smaller header. I don't think cubecart, classic anyway, is designed for 600 x 480...you have to scroll back and forth to see the whole page anyway. My header is the most visiabe part.

Guest groovejuice

jerseyjoe, as always, makes some very valid points spiced with his own inimitable and entertaining writing style!

There are basically two types of skins, 'fixed' width and 'fluid' width.

Typically the fixed width has 2 or 3 columns, each with a designated width (Classic and Legend). This results in a webpage that will always display as the total width in pixels of all the columns - (for example) 760 px. This size ensures that customers using a resolution of 800 x 600 (approx 29% of users) will not have to scroll horizontally -one of the fundamental taboos of web design. Text should automatically wrap in these colums, but images must be sized to fit or else the structure will break down.

The 'fluid' width design is different isasmuch as it usually contains some fixed width columns as well as a column that has an "auto" width. This column will expand or contract in width depending on the resolution the customer is using (Killer). In this case the centre column is fluid and the text will wrap to the borders, moving the content up in higher resolutions and down the page in lower ones.

It is important to understand this when customizing a header. Too wide an image will cause horizontal scrolling, which you need to avoid. Best bet is to match the header size exactly to the skin you've selected by viewing the properties of the default one in your skin folder. It is possible to use percentage widths for images, but they tend to look bad at anything other than the original size, making your logo look unprofessional.

umm . . . ehhhh . . . what groovejuice said.

and lcools, I was only trying to be cute, not insulting. This issue comes up so often that I now just go for its throat, without any unkind intention towards the person who invokes it.

There's a basic issue that some eager new designers prefer to ignore. This is a medium of commercial communication. The goal of any shopping cart is to sell stuff as effectively and efficiently as possible. All issues are subordinatate to that. Anything that detracts from that goal, no matter how nice it may look, no matter how much fun it may be to do, is wasteful.

A lot of this stuff is not obvious. Making a handsome web site that also works is a greater challenge than simply manipulating some graphics to personal taste. Designers who can satisfy both issues will be more successful than those who ignore one or the other.

So please don't be off-put by my bruskness. I want to be loved and admired by everyone. :sourcerer:

Guest lcools

jerseyjoe, as always, makes some very valid points spiced with his own inimitable and entertaining writing style!

There are basically two types of skins, 'fixed' width and 'fluid' width.

Typically the fixed width has 2 or 3 columns, each with a designated width (Classic and Legend). This results in a webpage that will always display as the total width in pixels of all the columns - (for example) 760 px. This size ensures that customers using a resolution of 800 x 600 (approx 29% of users) will not have to scroll horizontally -one of the fundamental taboos of web design. Text should automatically wrap in these colums, but images must be sized to fit or else the structure will break down.

The 'fluid' width design is different isasmuch as it usually contains some fixed width columns as well as a column that has an "auto" width. This column will expand or contract in width depending on the resolution the customer is using (Killer). In this case the centre column is fluid and the text will wrap to the borders, moving the content up in higher resolutions and down the page in lower ones.

It is important to understand this when customizing a header. Too wide an image will cause horizontal scrolling, which you need to avoid. Best bet is to match the header size exactly to the skin you've selected by viewing the properties of the default one in your skin folder. It is possible to use percentage widths for images, but they tend to look bad at anything other than the original size, making your logo look unprofessional.

29% is a lot. So that is one more thing wrong with my cubecart :sourcerer:

So basically classic is not compatible with 29% of browsers? Because, out of the box it doesn't fit on a 600 x 480 screen...not that I can see.

Guest lcools

Icools, 800 x 600 not 640 x 480

duh, okay. (600, 800 ..it's all the same to me, ha)

no, I see that cubecart normally fits on 800, whew!, so I must have stretched my boxes for some reason. Maybe I'll lop off the right side boxes!

So eLlIoTg, don't listen to me...