Send admin emails only AFTER payment complete?

Hello -

I would like to alter the default behavior of CC for sending new order emails to the admin. The way it works now, I get new order emails before the (potential) customer has even entered any credit card info. If they change their mind or there's a problem with their card the order does not go through, but the email has already been sent.

As I understand it, this behavior is due to PayPal and other gateways being processed off-site and later returning to the CC site. As I gather, this is to be sure that a record of the "sale" is kept regardless of whether these gateways return the customer properly. I'm only using one payment gateway (Authorize AIM) which processes the order without leaving my site, so I don't need (and really don't want) emails for orders that haven't yet been paid for.

Has anyone else run into this, and if so how did you modify the default behavior? I was looking at setting a post variable in the Authorize AIM form and only sending the email if that is present, but then it seems to me as if perhaps these should be sent by confirmed.php and not in the gateway at all. Any recommendations?

THANKS in advance for your replies.

Hmm...

I used Google to search the forums here (the forum search just didn't cut it for this query), and I found this thread.

However it doesn't seem as if these questions have been adequately answered there (or elsewhere?).

I guess I would like CC to behave the same way as others have expressed:

• No email sent to anyone unless payment is complete
  • Emails sent to both admin and customer once payment is complete
  • Oh and I'd like them to be nice HTML emails, please (it is the 21st century, after all)

If the default setup works for many people using other gateways or the print order gateway, great. But I have to say that it really doesn't work for me at all. Admin gets emails for orders that don't exist (or may have been changed since the email was sent), and the customer gets zip. This really doesn't seem like a reasonable (or legal) setup in my situation.

In all honesty, an issue this fundamental does make me have doubts about using CC in the future (sorry).

Has anyone else crossed this bridge before, and do you have suggestions for me to deal with it?

I'd appreciate any pointers you can give me.

Guest franck~

I'm having the same problem. The Authorize.net configuration is just not working.

The problem is (I think) that CubeCart is NOT using the Authorize.net AIM (Advanced Integration Method), but the outdated SIM (Simple Integration Method) and that is why Cubecart is NOT an Authorize 'Certified shopping cart'

I may be wrong, though, it's just a guess....

* No email sent to anyone unless payment is complete

* Emails sent to both admin and customer once payment is complete

* Oh and I'd like them to be nice HTML emails, please (it is the 21st century, after all)

Hi Zap. These have already been taken care of in 3.1.0 and it is far more logical.

1. Email Sent to customer (Order Acknowledgement)

2. Email Sent to store admin (Order Notification)

3. Email sent to Customer & Admin on completion of payment.

Basket cleared when order is made. Button texts changed on order process. e.g. "Complete Order" >> "Make Payment" etc.

Customer will be able to click a link to make a purchase days if not weeks after the order was made.

I'm sure all wil find it FAR mare intuitive.

Only thing is that emails will remain plain text as standard. Yes its the 21st century but MANY email clients still don't support html email well. Something important like order confirmation must be compatible with all IMO. Maybe 3.2.x we can have options to make it html/text and editable.

* Oh and I'd like them to be nice HTML emails, please (it is the 21st century, after all)

Hi Zap. These have already been taken care of in 3.1.0 and it is far more logical.

Basket cleared when order is made. Button texts changed on order process. e.g. "Complete Order" >> "Make Payment" etc.

Customer will be able to click a link to make a purchase days if not weeks after the order was made.

Only thing is that emails will remain plain text as standard. Yes its the 21st century but MANY email clients still don't support html email well. Something important like order confirmation must be compatible with all IMO. Maybe 3.2.x we can have options to make it html/text and editable.

That sounds like a huge improvement. I'll have to try 3.1.0 after I (finally) finish with this store. You might consider multipart emails, which should work for all mail clients and is what most big web stores use nowadays (and if you use the PHPmailer class it will send those easily).

Any advice as to where to hack the current code? I'm thinking I'll add new email code to the orderSuccess.inc.php file. I'd rather not have to re-build the basket contents and all that (for efficiency's sake), so if there's a better way or place to add my order email code I'm open to suggestions.

I expect I won't get to this until tomorrow (I'm finishing two other sites today), so any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get to do this until today...

It turns out to be pretty easy to change this email behavior in CC. All I did was to comment out the Sir William admin email code in gateway.inc.php and add something similar to orderSuccess.inc.php (the variables are all different there, but you can look at the customer email code to figure that out). The only trick was that I had to alter one value in my gateway's transfer.inc.php file in order for orderSuccess.inc.php to be processed ($stateUpdate must be set to TRUE or that file is not included in confirmed.inc.php).

The other interesting thing that I learned today is that the htmlMimeMail.php class is perfectly capable of sending HTML/text multipart emails, so it's actually very straightforward to do that as well.

• 1 month later...
Guest guyroberts

Zap, do you have any source code for doing this? I've just stumbled upon your response and it looks exactly what I'm looking for! What exactly did you have to change to get it to work?

Cheers

Guest magicpaul

There is a mod available to create HTML emails. I believe it is available at www.cubecart-mods.co.uk. I have purcahsed the mod last week but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll let you know if I manage to get it working OK!

There is a mod available to create HTML emails. I believe it is available at www.cubecart-mods.co.uk. I have purcahsed the mod last week but haven't had the chance to try it out yet. I'll let you know if I manage to get it working OK!

It is the Email Template System mod, one that I am keen on but noy yet purchased - too many other things to implement first.

>>>URL deleted, no external links are allowed to 3rd party mods<<<

Edited by vrakas

Guest guyroberts

The problem is I was really looking for something that would change the admin emails after an order is made so that the emails are sent after payment and not before.

The problem is, if someone goes 95% of the way through on an order, but doesn't actually pay, the admin user still gets an email to say an order has been made.

This could mean orders are processed even though the buyer hasn;t actually paid.

It's causing me real grief at the moment and my customer is demanding it is corrected. Please can anyone help?

• 2 months later...

I didn't get to do this until today...

It turns out to be pretty easy to change this email behavior in CC. All I did was to comment out the Sir William admin email code in gateway.inc.php and add something similar to orderSuccess.inc.php (the variables are all different there, but you can look at the customer email code to figure that out). The only trick was that I had to alter one value in my gateway's transfer.inc.php file in order for orderSuccess.inc.php to be processed ($stateUpdate must be set to TRUE or that file is not included in confirmed.inc.php).

The other interesting thing that I learned today is that the htmlMimeMail.php class is perfectly capable of sending HTML/text multipart emails, so it's actually very straightforward to do that as well.

:unsure: Has anyone been able to do this successfully? I copied both parts of Sir William's code from the gateway.inc.php file to the order Success.inc.php file. Not really sure what variables need to be changed though. I also commented the email code out of the gateway.inc.php file. Also changed the $stateUpdate=TRUE in the transfer.inc.php file. With all of that done, I am now not getting any emails to my Admin saying that a customer has made a purchase.

If somebody could tell me what variables need to be changed, or if there is anyone who has successfully configured their cubecart to send an Admin order email only after payment is successful, please let me know!

THANKS!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Toby Wallis

This sounds like a great improvement. My only problem is this: I have installed a number of mods to my CubeCart installation, some of which involved line-by-line amendments to the code. If I upgrade, will I have to go through the entire process of installing each of them again?

Thanks

===Toby===

Guest CheapScotsman

Hey, this looks really good. My only comments is on the plain text emails.

It appears that about 1/2 of the websites that I buy from send me my status in HTML and they seem to be the bigger players (like amazon, ebay, paypal, landsend, llbean, rei) while most of the smaller ones give me status in plain text. I do prefer the HTML.

During customer registration cubecart already asks whether you want emails in plain text / html so we should honour that. If we are improving 3.1 to allow for checkout without registration, okay ... default to text.

Even if 3.1 decides NOT to support HTML emails out the door, how about arranging it so that its dead easy for us to MOD this?

• 2 months later...
Guest murkington

I need to figure this out as well...I'm trying to get my CubeCart up and running properly, but can't use it unless I can figure this out....there's been alot of time and money trying to get CC up and running, I just hope it wasn't all for nothing :wacko:

The problem is I was really looking for something that would change the admin emails after an order is made so that the emails are sent after payment and not before.

The problem is, if someone goes 95% of the way through on an order, but doesn't actually pay, the admin user still gets an email to say an order has been made.

This could mean orders are processed even though the buyer hasn;t actually paid.

It's causing me real grief at the moment and my customer is demanding it is corrected. Please can anyone help?

• 1 month later...
Guest murkington

PLEASE! has anyone figured out how to send the order email only AFTER the purchase has been complete? I just don't want to send an order out to someone who didn't complete the purchase process.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

• 1 month later...
Guest 850

I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet. I'm about to go live with my store and just realized that this was happening. This is going to be a real pain to manage orders if this doesn't get fixed soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mr underhills

I've just emailed a prospective customer to say, sorry, we don't supply to your country only to find they hadn't left a credit card number.

If someone has found a quick fix to ensure orders are only emailed to admin AFTER payment is complete, I'd be really grateful if they would pass it on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jaselpool

I'm having the same problem too. I'm using Paypal Direct and the fact that I get an order email through even though the customer hasn't finalised it and placed it properly is very confusing. Should this not be a standard function? Makes sense to have the email sent on completion surely! Any fixes for this would be greatly appreciated. J

• 3 weeks later...

Has this been fixed yet? So, from what I understand, this will be fixed in version 3.1, but 3.1 isn't available yet? How do I know if an order has been paid for? I would hate to ship a product out to someone who didn't pay for it. Should I just check PayPal every time I get a new order email? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
Guest thomasvr

Has this been fixed yet? So, from what I understand, this will be fixed in version 3.1, but 3.1 isn't available yet? How do I know if an order has been paid for? I would hate to ship a product out to someone who didn't pay for it. Should I just check PayPal every time I get a new order email? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I too am having the same issues with the order email being sent to admin BEFORE the payment is made. I'm having to check my paypal account to make sure every single order actually got paid for, if I didn't check then I'd be sending out free merchandise left and right. What a pain in the *ss.

Anybody have any better ideas on how to manage this?

:(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest digger

I guess no one knows the answer or it would have been answered I am sure. I am just surprised that it has not been answered though, after all this time, given all the great talent available here. It must be a real pain if these guys can't figure it out!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... anyone care to wrap thier brains around this one?

Thanks!

Guest digger

I guess no one knows the answer or it would have been answered I am sure. I am just surprised that it has not been answered though, after all this time, given all the great talent available here. It must be a real pain if these guys can't figure it out!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... anyone care to wrap thier brains around this one?

Thanks!

Anyone? I am really in a bind and could use some help. My customer is getting rather ill at me ;)

Thanks in adavnce.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RCautoworks

Same issue I'm having now.