Apparel website: first time CC

Guest anhtruong

Guest anhtruong

Hi everyone, this is my first time using anykind of cart software. I tried both OS commerce and cubecart at the same time, but I was able to do a lot more with CC. This is my website for a new kind of winter glove I'm making. The website lacks a lot of detail right now, but everything (almost everything) is in place and its simply a matter of adding content. Overall I'm pleased with the way the layout worked, although I still havent figured out how to do everything I wanted. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please keep in mind the gloves are not my actual gloves. They are just fox gloves I'm using to test the site. The t-shirts are real but are not available yet just in case anyone was wondering.

http://www.scimun.com

Guest anhtruong

Thanks for the honest feedback. The nav menu is a real highlight of the website. People either hate it or they love it.

Guest Brivtech

Nice layout, but to find some critisism where it's difficult, I'll point out these:

> The site seems to take a long time to load images. The main reason is that you're using large uncompressed images - around 100K+ - Even with a faster hosting server, there will still be a delay that affects the overal presentation of the site.

Here's one of your original images:

guyglove_cat.jpg

(Is that Timothy Dalton?) and here's a compressed version I resaved in about 20 seconds ...

guyglove_cat2.jpg

I used 30% compression, with 15% smoothing. There's hardly any difference visually between the 2, the original from your site is 140K, the 30% compression version is only 31K. (you can right-click on the images to get their properties if you don't believe me! ;) ) Not only will this save time loading pages and finish off your site perfectly, but you'll also save on bandwidth. Although browsers will cache these files, they still have to load the first time around.

> Also on the point of images, when randomly navigating across your site (As any prospective shopper may do), it seems the menu options are always having to load in. Looking further at this, it's because you've split your site up over subdomains and a main domain. There's no harm in doing this, but do you really need to do it? The vast majority of shoppers looking at your site won't even know what a subdomain is, and it seems to me that there are more drawbacks than advantages to doing this:

- Images for different site areas have to be reloaded

- Affects cookies

- People can get confused over what the website address is if they bookmark it.

- Messes up search engine rankings - Your hits will be split between different sites, giving you an overall lower ranking.

> The add to bag isn't too obvious, one is struggling to figure out how to order an item after selecting a size and then quantity. Perhaps a different colour would make it stand out?

> Finally, do I need a clock to remind me of the time....

- "AARGH, look at the time, I've been fashion shopping, and I need to leave this and go pick up the kids from school" :D - And forgets the URL, so doesn't come back... */*

B)

That's about all I can pick on - If I were to list the positivies, I'd be here all day and I wouldn't get any work done! ;) Nice fresh look, a break away from the usual boring recolouring of the standard templates. Well done!

Guest vrakas

I have to agree with Brivtech, very slow on loading and i am on an ADSL line, what happens to the people that are using ISDN or even plain dial up connections :on2long:

Guest anhtruong

Thanks for the awesome feedback!

Yeah, the subdomain thing was a mistake...I'm not sure how I can change it to a non subdomain now without destroying all my work (Actually, I think I can do it if I tried)

The images are not optimized, and I realize they take a long time to load. I'll get on that as soon as I finish the rest of the site.

I've also changed the navigation to its not sideways anymore....I hated to see it go, but usability is the most important thing. The new one looks good too, but its acting a little weird...

Thanks again everyone!

Guest wwrafter

To add my 2 cents. You could download a copy of paintshop pro 10 it has a feature that will allow you to reduce all of the images in a batch mode. You can get it directly from Corel or any download site. They have a 30 day free trial.

• 1 month later...
Guest the firefly

I thought it was fabulous. I like the look it loaded fast for me with DSL.

I love the header and applaud your efforts because it is a lot of work.

Nice Job one of the best sites by CC I have seen!

:D