My first cubecart store...what do you think

Guest rmagnanti

Guest rmagnanti

I recently completed my first CubeCart store at http://www.pindependent.com/. What does everyone think? I switched from ZenCart to CubeCart and couldn't be happier with my decision.

The site owner still needs to update some if the "Site Documents", but besides that everything is up and running!

What does everyone think?
The rust color - or whatever it's called, is a bit hot for my taste. It overpowers the thumbnails of the products.

The thumbnails could be much larger, maybe double in size, to greater effect.

Forcing a perecenatge of users to scroll left and right is probably the most annoying thing a web site can do. Take a lesson from the most successful web sites in the world. No matter what resolution the user's monitor is set for, you never have to do a left right scroll atGoogle, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. - so it's obvious that non-scrolling display is considered important - and is do-able.

Any web site you create should be checked for issues when displayed in cross-browsers and multi-resolution displays.

I came back for another look and whilst doing that I realized there is a much more serious issue here, affecting the viability and legality of your business. I'm amazed I missed it the first time around.

Almost every button I looked at is based on someone else's copyright. It's one thing to operate a fan site or function under the "fare use exemption" that allows for the limited use of copyrighted images in the course of academic or literary comment. But simply selling image copies, even for a few cents, is a clear violation that has no legal defense.

Sooner or later, one of the many copyright holders will encounter your site during one of their frequent Internet sweeps. Shortly afterwards, both you and your hosting company will get a sternly worded "cease and desist" letter, and maybe even an invoice demanding payment.

I'm not trying to Grinch you. I'm just saving you the trouble of building something that can't be sustained.

I came back for another look and whilst doing that I realized there is a much more serious issue here, affecting the viability and legality of your business. I'm amazed I missed it the first time around.

Almost every button I looked at is based on someone else's copyright. It's one thing to operate a fan site or function under the "fare use exemption" that allows for the limited use of copyrighted images in the course of academic or literary comment. But simply selling image copies, even for a few cents, is a clear violation that has no legal defense.

Sooner or later, one of the many copyright holders will encounter your site during one of their frequent Internet sweeps. Shortly afterwards, both you and your hosting company will get a sternly worded "cease and desist" letter, and maybe even an invoice demanding payment.

I'm not trying to Grinch you. I'm just saving you the trouble of building something that can't be sustained.

A valid point.

However, you also do get places that sell legitimate pins - these may be legitimate and that he/she is buying them and then selling them on.

• 2 weeks later...