Setting up the HSBC payment gateway for your CubeCart

Guest Bato

From the web shop owner point of view, especially if you are UK based and your customers are mostly from UK, selecting HSBC as your credit card processing service makes a lot of sense. Not so in the sense that they are the cheapest, they are probably not, but average British internet shopper is a kind of conservative being. Their motto is: If you can’t find them on your local High street don’t trust them, and HSBC presence is highly visible everywhere.

When it comes to actual implementation, enthusiasm of a developer is bound to suffer. There are two types of integration offered to prospective HSBC customers and shop owners. One is called CPI integration, and another one is API integration. By the some inexplicable default HSBC staff would assume that you are interested only in CPI integration, so every letter you receive from them will add to the confusion. After registration with them you’ll be given CD with a lots of PDF full of pretty much technical mumbo-jumbo and a couple of letters with instructions to log on to https://secure-epayments.hsbc.com and setup your user panel, change randomly assigned password and so on. In order to log on you’ll need to supply User ID, Password, Client and textbox marked as Parent Client should be left blank. That Client is in the HSBC letters called Client ID, and if you are UK client it will look something like this: UKxxxxxxxxGBP (x’s are number placeholders). Although that allegedly Client ID is a must to log on HSBC user panel, you have to forget it when setting up CubeCart HSBC gateway.

Actual Client ID you’ll find at the very top of HSBC user panel and that is a just number, 32-bit integer, together with Alias (Client on their log on page), and User (User ID on the same log on page)!#@! I wonder which kind of moron did this bulls*it.

Remember that Client ID number, that’s your CubeCart HSBC gateway Client ID. User ID is same as the one in HSBC user panel, as well as password. Gateway URL is NOT https://www.cpi.hsbc.co/servlet , despite being the only URL mentioned in HSBC letters. That is only for CPI integration, and CubeCart, thanks to God, supports API XML integration, not CPI one. Also forget the Hash Key given by HSBC, you don’t need it. The URL you really need is www.secure-epayments.apixml.hsbc.com . Enter it exactly like that, without https:// in front of it. Needless to say, that last URL is not mentioned in HSBC documents at all. After that everything goes smooth, almost like a pint of John Smiths in the hot summer afternoon.

A word of caution: HSBC technical staff from India tends to be a rude bunch.

One of them, while speaking to the English gentleman I was setting web shop for, used a long, patronising and arrogant tirade. Being an impatient Russian I wouldn’t take it, so I grabbed the phone and told him: Listen pal, don’t get cute with me, my country is still making your Sukhoi 30 fighter planes. Answer our questions clearly point by point or get your boss on the phone. And it worked just fine :)

Many thanks for taking the time to write this Bato.

I'm sure we did write documentation for the module when we gave it to CubeCart for packaging. I guess it got lost somewhere!

We're currently working to get Verified by Visa and Mastercard SecureCode integration completed. Stay tuned :D

Adam

From the web shop owner point of view, especially if you are UK based and your customers are mostly from UK, selecting HSBC as your credit card processing service makes a lot of sense. Not so in the sense that they are the cheapest, they are probably not, but average British internet shopper is a kind of conservative being. Their motto is: If you can’t find them on your local High street don’t trust them, and HSBC presence is highly visible everywhere.

When it comes to actual implementation, enthusiasm of a developer is bound to suffer. There are two types of integration offered to prospective HSBC customers and shop owners. One is called CPI integration, and another one is API integration. By the some inexplicable default HSBC stuff would assume that you are interested only in CPI integration, so every letter you receive from them will add to the confusion. After registration with them you’ll be given CD with a lots of PDF full of pretty much technical mumbo-jumbo and a couple of letters with instructions to log on to https://secure-epayments.hsbc.com and setup your user panel, change randomly assigned password and so on. In order to log on you’ll need to supply User ID, Password, Client and textbox marked as Parent Client should be left blank. That Client is in the HSBC letters called Client ID, and if you are UK client it will look something like this: UKxxxxxxxxGBP (x’s are number placeholders). Although that allegedly Client ID is a must to log on HSBC user panel, you have to forget it when setting up CubeCart HSBC gateway.

Actual Client ID you’ll find at the very top of HSBC user panel and that is a just number, 32-bit integer, together with Alias (Client on their log on page), and User (User ID on the same log on page)!#@! I wonder which kind of moron did this bulls*it.

Remember that Client ID number, that’s your CubeCart HSBC gateway Client ID. User ID is same as the one in HSBC user panel, as well as password. Gateway URL is NOT https://www.cpi.hsbc.co/servlet , despite being the only URL mentioned in HSBC letters. That is only for CPI integration, and CubeCart, thanks to God, supports API XML integration, not CPI one. Also forget the Hash Key given by HSBC, you don’t need it. The URL you really need is www.secure-epayments.apixml.hsbc.com . Enter it exactly like that, without https:// in front of it. Needless to say, that last URL is not mentioned in HSBC documents at all. After that everything goes smooth, almost like a pint of John Smiths in the hot summer afternoon.

One of them, while speaking to the English gentleman I was setting web shop for, used a long, patronising and arrogant tirade. Being an impatient Russian I wouldn’t take it, so I grabbed the phone and told him: Listen pal, don’t get cute with me, my country is still making your Sukhoi 30 fighter planes. Answer our questions clearly point by point or get your boss on the phone. And it worked just fine :(

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just spoken to HSBC and they are saying that to setup API you need to be verified by mastercard and visa (which costs £1000's), becasue all the card detials will be held on our SSL servers, hence they need to make sure they are secure enough. is that true?

I've just spoken to HSBC and they are saying that to setup API you need to be verified by mastercard and visa (which costs £1000's), becasue all the card detials will be held on our SSL servers, hence they need to make sure they are secure enough. is that true?

I have got this working now.

I am the developer not the account holder, but i'm pretty sure that my client hasn't had to pay the amounts your talking about.

They already had a terminal account with the HSBC and didn't have to pay anything more to use this feature.

Bear in mind that the credit card details are not stored on the cubecart server, all card details are passed over to HSBC but not stored locally.

Regards Dave.

I have got this working now.

I am the developer not the account holder, but i'm pretty sure that my client hasn't had to pay the amounts your talking about.

They already had a terminal account with the HSBC and didn't have to pay anything more to use this feature.

Bear in mind that the credit card details are not stored on the cubecart server, all card details are passed over to HSBC but not stored locally.

Regards Dave.

Phew, thats a relief.

But I still can't get this working. I have setup my Shared SSL on the server, eneterd all the details as given above by Bato, into the CC admin gateway setup for HSBC. But all i'm getting when i click on the pay button on the site is an unsecure page asking me for card detials. It doesn't redirect to HSBC after entering any detials here any way.

So which CC files do I have to copy into my SSL shared folder for the page which asks for card detials to be secure instead of unsecure, and how come it does not redirect me to www.secure-epayments.apixml.hsbc.com after entering card detials even though that is what I have entered in the Gateway URL section of the HSBC gateway in CC admin?

PPPPPPLease someone help I'm totally stuck and HSBC are a waste of time to talk to.

and what is your website wilded1?

Phew, thats a relief.

But I still can't get this working. I have setup my Shared SSL on the server, eneterd all the details as given above by Bato, into the CC admin gateway setup for HSBC. But all i'm getting when i click on the pay button on the site is an unsecure page asking me for card detials. It doesn't redirect to HSBC after entering any detials here any way.

So which CC files do I have to copy into my SSL shared folder for the page which asks for card detials to be secure instead of unsecure, and how come it does not redirect me to www.secure-epayments.apixml.hsbc.com after entering card detials even though that is what I have entered in the Gateway URL section of the HSBC gateway in CC admin?

PPPPPPLease someone help I'm totally stuck and HSBC are a waste of time to talk to.

and what is your website wilded1?

It doesn't redirect to that URL as it happens behind the scenes.

HSBC won't accept a connection from a non-SSL host, and so you will need to make sure that your checkout onwards is all SSL.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm getting the order failed page too, despite checking all the variables and having everything appear okay. Anyone have any advice for figuring this one out as I've run out of ideas!

Thanks!

I'm with Chilli -- I'm stuck too. I'm using the Client ID on the top of the HSBC login page. I tried the original user and I even created a new one just for payments, (in the HSBC screen) but it still barfs.

I processed £0.01 directly on the HSBC screen so that appears to be ok but the cubecart module just fails. Does anyone know if there is a log to see the failure messages? It comes back awfully quickly, suggesting to me it might not even be logging in. I tried turning off AVS check as well.

Any thoughts from anyone much appreciated

Regards

David

Guest ifaco

Im having the same problem. I've entered everything correctly and once the card is verified correctly it returns payment failed. If anyone figures this out please contact me asap [email protected]

figures crossed

Right, I've fixed it - Here is how I did it, so if you had the same symptoms I am sure this will work.

1) Make sure HSBC have set you up for API -- they hadn't with me so this would have added to the headache.

2) Make sure you have 1.2 version of the module -- do a search

BUT for me, in the version of the module I had, the 'admin' section subdirectory was 'gateways' with an 's' not 'gateway' so when I uploaded it, I still got the old admin page version. Unpack on your local computer and change by hand before uploading [if you don't know how to do this, you'll struggle with the next step!]

3) Make sure you have the appropriate version of libcurl for your version of php. It will definitely fail if you don't have this. Use the admin panel to see server info and do a search for 'curl' If you get nothing then you don't have it installed!

3a) When I installed php5_curl it actually broke my installation, and I think it will only work with the correct version of apache, so make sure everything is upto date. Google it -- lots of instructions available.

Point 3 is really key. Some hosts may not have it installed and it won't be obvious.

Good luck!

D.

Guest ifaco

Right, I've fixed it - Here is how I did it, so if you had the same symptoms I am sure this will work.

1) Make sure HSBC have set you up for API -- they hadn't with me so this would have added to the headache.

2) Make sure you have 1.2 version of the module -- do a search

BUT for me, in the version of the module I had, the 'admin' section subdirectory was 'gateways' with an 's' not 'gateway' so when I uploaded it, I still got the old admin page version. Unpack on your local computer and change by hand before uploading [if you don't know how to do this, you'll struggle with the next step!]

3) Make sure you have the appropriate version of libcurl for your version of php. It will definitely fail if you don't have this. Use the admin panel to see server info and do a search for 'curl' If you get nothing then you don't have it installed!

3a) When I installed php5_curl it actually broke my installation, and I think it will only work with the correct version of apache, so make sure everything is upto date. Google it -- lots of instructions available.

Point 3 is really key. Some hosts may not have it installed and it won't be obvious.

Good luck!

D.

Thanks for that, However I've already decided to go with either romancart or ekmpowershop instead. It's been a real nightmare with HSBC. CubeCart i'm sure is a great service for other payment providers.

I advise anyone thinking about using the epayments service to really consider how they are going to implement the system. In my case the business already had a merchant account and they seemed an obvious choice.

good luck to everyone else and thanks to anyone who's helped :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a quote from the author of the HSBC payment module:

We only made an API version. All HSBC accounts are API enabled by default now, so will still work for you. However, you must have an SSL certificate installed (start at about $15 a year).

Every HSBC account is API, and so can be used by CubeCart if you have SSL. The CPI functionality is an add-on which can be disabled if you use API.

• 2 months later...

When it comes to actual implementation, enthusiasm of a developer is bound to suffer. There are two types of integration offered to prospective HSBC customers and shop owners. One is called CPI integration, and another one is API integration. By the some inexplicable default HSBC staff would assume that you are interested only in CPI integration, so every letter you receive from them will add to the confusion. After registration with them you’ll be given CD with a lots of PDF full of pretty much technical mumbo-jumbo and a couple of letters with instructions to log on to https://secure-epayments.hsbc.com and setup your user panel, change randomly assigned password and so on. In order to log on you’ll need to supply User ID, Password, Client and textbox marked as Parent Client should be left blank. That Client is in the HSBC letters called Client ID, and if you are UK client it will look something like this: UKxxxxxxxxGBP (x’s are number placeholders). Although that allegedly Client ID is a must to log on HSBC user panel, you have to forget it when setting up CubeCart HSBC gateway.

One of them, while speaking to the English gentleman I was setting web shop for, used a long, patronising and arrogant tirade. Being an impatient Russian I wouldn’t take it, so I grabbed the phone and told him: Listen pal, don’t get cute with me, my country is still making your Sukhoi 30 fighter planes. Answer our questions clearly point by point or get your boss on the phone. And it worked just fine :)

how to interpret the xml response of hsbc api.........please can any one help me

Here's a quote from the author of the HSBC payment module:

We only made an API version. All HSBC accounts are API enabled by default now, so will still work for you. However, you must have an SSL certificate installed (start at about $15 a year).

Every HSBC account is API, and so can be used by CubeCart if you have SSL. The CPI functionality is an add-on which can be disabled if you use API.

Hi ,

I need help in implementing hsbc api using php and curl ....

1. i ve generated xml for https://www.secure-epayments.apixml.hsbc.com

2. can any one have exact code to generate xml so that it will give corrert response form hsbc.

3. do we directly pass the entire xml data after confirm page...?

4. if then how the customer can pass his creditcard number.

please give me reply asp ........... :blink: