Shipping by category

Guest daveunwin

Guest daveunwin

Hi there,

I have looked high and low for an answer to this and cannot find anything that helps really.

I am having problems with the shipping by category, no matter what I do it still comes up with N/A & the drop down menu has nothing in it.

This does not add shipping at any time during the checkout procedure.

Can someone please tell me what i' doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Hi there,

I have looked high and low for an answer to this and cannot find anything that helps really.

I am having problems with the shipping by category, no matter what I do it still comes up with N/A & the drop down menu has nothing in it.

This does not add shipping at any time during the checkout procedure.

Can someone please tell me what i' doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave

unfortunately i am suffering with the same problem and would love to hear from anyone that might know how to solve it... or alternatively, if someone can point me to the files that are involved in the checkout procedure so that i can step throguh them to see why its returning nothing, i would appreciate it!

If you wish to see an example of this happening, please visit : http://www.andysarcade.net/store/

I am running Cubecart v3.0.10

thanks in advance...

Andy

unfortunately i am suffering with the same problem and would love to hear from anyone that might know how to

snipped..

UPDATE ****FIXED*****

I Found that my problem was related to tax classes I have been emailing with brooky about it, here is my last email that explains what i found, and the solution i came up with :

ok, i went and read even more seemingly unrelated posts associated with other shipping

modules on the cubecart.com forums, and a pattern started to emerge.... a lot of people

started mentioning weights, so for the heck of it i wondered if i added a shipping weight

to an item (say, 1kg for example) if it would make any difference... (all my items in my

database currently have no weights entered at all, because i don't use that system).

....and guess what, the damn thing works now!

After much more investigation, i have found now that the bug is actually related to

taxType, a field in the cubecart_inventory table in the database. read on...

A few days ago, while experimenting, i went to the Tax module in the cubecart admin

panel, and saw that there were no taxes setup, as expected, because i don't use tax at

all. When i did a fresh install of 3.0.11 to another store directory i noticed in this

part of the panel, the default is a tax rate of (0.00% tax exempt). So i went back to my

main webstore panel (that showed no tax classes at all) and set up a tax class called tax

exempt, and set its rate at 0%. This must be considered in cubecart as taxType 1 (i'm

guessing). When i edited the item and changed its weight to 1kg (as described above), and

clicked save, one assumes that because the tax drop-down box now said 'tax exempt' instead of being an empty drop-down box field,

it set the items' taxType in the database to 1 instead of using the old value of zero,

and hence the item then worked when proceeding to checkout with it, but giving the

impression was weight related ;)

So all of my items that are in my database right now that say their tax class is 0 (as

viewed in phpmyadmin) fail to get any shipping calculation, either because 0 is an

invalid number in an arguement to test against, or that 0 does not correspond to any tax

class currently setup (if one assumes 'tax exempt' is '1').

So, for the whole time i was adding items into my database without any tax classes set

up, they were all getting a zero in that taxType field. Because i don't use taxes, you don't expect that you have to have to set up a tax class called 'tax exempt' in order to tell the cart to process a tax percentage of 0.00% on an item.

Maybe in a previous version, the discriminating code in the cart let this slip by and it

worked, later versions now fallover on it. Maybe all earlier versions of cubecart do come

with a 'tax exempt' class set up as default, and i might have deleted it (cos i am known

to fiddle with stuff that isn't broken) Maybe you know, i'm only guessing :) its not

important though heh.

I think this is an important bug to fix, and maybe you might want to put a trap in the

cart to catch items that try to process that have a taxType that does not match the

defined tax classes... from searching the forums, i'm not the only person that has run

into this problem. The symptoms i experienced are also the same for other people who seem

to use other shipping modules, and like me, are not looking at the tax situation becasue

seemingly it has nothing to do with shipping, and quite possibly their problems could

somehow be this taxType mismatch... the cure-all would be to add an arguement in the cart

that caught the items with taxtype values that do not match any existing tax classes and

dump out an error to let the site admin know that they'll have to check the tax types set

in their database.

The way i sorted out my database was to use PHPMyAdmin and run the following SQL statement :

UPDATE CubeCart_inventory SET taxType=1

this then changed every record to taxtype 1, and having already set up a tax class called tax exempt, my store now works!!!

hurrah!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kjjack

unfortunately i am suffering with the same problem and would love to hear from anyone that might know how to

snipped..

UPDATE ****FIXED*****

I Found that my problem was related to tax classes I have been emailing with brooky about it, here is my last email that explains what i found, and the solution i came up with :

ok, i went and read even more seemingly unrelated posts associated with other shipping

modules on the cubecart.com forums, and a pattern started to emerge.... a lot of people

started mentioning weights, so for the heck of it i wondered if i added a shipping weight

to an item (say, 1kg for example) if it would make any difference... (all my items in my

database currently have no weights entered at all, because i don't use that system).

....and guess what, the damn thing works now!

After much more investigation, i have found now that the bug is actually related to

taxType, a field in the cubecart_inventory table in the database. read on...

A few days ago, while experimenting, i went to the Tax module in the cubecart admin

panel, and saw that there were no taxes setup, as expected, because i don't use tax at

all. When i did a fresh install of 3.0.11 to another store directory i noticed in this

part of the panel, the default is a tax rate of (0.00% tax exempt). So i went back to my

main webstore panel (that showed no tax classes at all) and set up a tax class called tax

exempt, and set its rate at 0%. This must be considered in cubecart as taxType 1 (i'm

guessing). When i edited the item and changed its weight to 1kg (as described above), and

clicked save, one assumes that because the tax drop-down box now said 'tax exempt' instead of being an empty drop-down box field,

it set the items' taxType in the database to 1 instead of using the old value of zero,

and hence the item then worked when proceeding to checkout with it, but giving the

impression was weight related :huh:

So all of my items that are in my database right now that say their tax class is 0 (as

viewed in phpmyadmin) fail to get any shipping calculation, either because 0 is an

invalid number in an arguement to test against, or that 0 does not correspond to any tax

class currently setup (if one assumes 'tax exempt' is '1').

So, for the whole time i was adding items into my database without any tax classes set

up, they were all getting a zero in that taxType field. Because i don't use taxes, you don't expect that you have to have to set up a tax class called 'tax exempt' in order to tell the cart to process a tax percentage of 0.00% on an item.

Maybe in a previous version, the discriminating code in the cart let this slip by and it

worked, later versions now fallover on it. Maybe all earlier versions of cubecart do come

with a 'tax exempt' class set up as default, and i might have deleted it (cos i am known

to fiddle with stuff that isn't broken) Maybe you know, i'm only guessing :) its not

important though heh.

I think this is an important bug to fix, and maybe you might want to put a trap in the

cart to catch items that try to process that have a taxType that does not match the

defined tax classes... from searching the forums, i'm not the only person that has run

into this problem. The symptoms i experienced are also the same for other people who seem

to use other shipping modules, and like me, are not looking at the tax situation becasue

seemingly it has nothing to do with shipping, and quite possibly their problems could

somehow be this taxType mismatch... the cure-all would be to add an arguement in the cart

that caught the items with taxtype values that do not match any existing tax classes and

dump out an error to let the site admin know that they'll have to check the tax types set

in their database.

The way i sorted out my database was to use PHPMyAdmin and run the following SQL statement :

UPDATE CubeCart_inventory SET taxType=1

this then changed every record to taxtype 1, and having already set up a tax class called tax exempt, my store now works!!!

hurrah!

Andy

I've tried your solution, but it does not work for me. Any other ideas?