how is my website look? suggestions are appreciate!

Guest shawnlovebaobao

hi, plz give me some advices for what needs to be improved for my site, thanks guys!

http://www.eboxingday.com/

There are those who may want something "cooler" but there's a lot to be said for keeping things simple.

So I say, thumbs up for what you have done so far.

A few comments:

Your logo appears on every page in the same position. The power of a logo comes not from size but from repetition. Instead of the curent 85px high, reduce it to 60. It will be just as effective - maybe more so - and you'll offer more prime selling space for your merchandise without scrolling.

That blank space to right of the logo is an unfortunate waste of valuable real estate. You'd be a lot better off putting the search and login functions there, just as they are in the default skins. And remove the secondary links (home, site docs) from that prime position and remove the blue bar they are in, as well.

The issue here is that the layout should promote the function of the site - which is to sell things. When you walk into a real life store, you are not handed a brochure describing the history of the store, a bunch of press releases and a list of the names of the owner's cats. That would distract you from buying the automobile or hamburger or diamond ring that is the lifeblood of the store. You might get so engrossed - or discouraged - by something you read in those docs that you might never buy anything at all.

The most difficult acomplishment of all for both an online or real world store is to get the prospective customer into the store. Once you accomplish that, it's wasting that accomplishment if you do anything but sell, sell, sell the product.

So why give those secondary items such a prime position? There are things about the CC default skins that I don't like, but putting those secondary links at the foot of the page is a smart thing!

On that same issue, what's the point of installing a Google Search and defaulting it to search the web? Is it to help potential customers go somewhere else? You already have a search function built into the site that searches just the store. That's all you need.

The drop-down shopping menus are clever. Well done! - but why repeat the Shop by Category function and Homepage links in the left side menu?

All those boxes!!! Too many boxes.

Just because the default skin offers all those boxes does not mean you must use every single one of them. Every one of them should be carefully reconsidered as if clutter. Will it really help sales if your offer Popular Products, Latest Products, Featured Product, Language, Currency, etc? Or will fewer be more?

I suspect if the default skin included a box that displayed the phases of the moon or joke of the day, most stores would use it blindly.

Remove the counter at the foot of the page. It is a so-1994 thing. It does not help your public image to show a small number - and if you have a lot of traffic, why invite competition? If you want the stats for your own use, the CC / ACP contains a rudimetary stats module. Your hosting company probably offers a full stats package such as AWSTATS or Webalizer or Analog or Urchin. Upscale hosts offer all of them. If your's does not, get yourself another hosting service because you can't run a successful online business without that information.

Tone down the shade of blue just a bit. It's kind of bright.

I can't tell when a CC copyright removal is legit or not so, if you have actually paid for registration of your CC software, good for you!

In sum, I suspect that the only reason for the redundancy of those links and the clutter of boxes and the toys of the Google box and hit counter is simply because they can be there.

But take lessons from the real world stores you shop in. For example, a supermarket. Everything in it is carefully and obessively placed. Low margin, high volume items such as bread and milk are back in a corner. You have walk through the high margin vegetable and fruits to get to them. Larger profit items are at eye-level; lower margin items are below at floor level. Every square inch of the store is planned based on huge volumes of research into customer behavior.

Apply that kind of retail wisdom to your online store. Never waste a single pixel. Don't allow anything between the customer and the product. Do not distract or send them off somewhere else. Sell, sell, sell the products.

Good luck!

Guest shawnlovebaobao

I think jerseyjoe covered pretty much all ;)

So far its looks good, keep up the good work :(

thanks for all of your comments, and yes i am a currently licensed owner of cubecart, and i will keep working on make the website looks better