.Org hacked again

Guest cntgifts

geeze hows that possible? i thought invision coded good software?

why not switch to vb, they seem like the innovators in all things bulletin ;)

Guest morgankhalil

someone spent all that time hacking into the system, which i cant imagine was an easy thing to do, and then they leave that pathetic message? come on, at least put a little creativity into it

for sure, i mean to the pointout its not even true! i think cubecart is on the track to becoming the best ecommerce platform - probably someone with time to burn.

Guest vashant

What I don't understand is why anyone would even take the time to do a hack like that, really now,... what purpose does it serve to anybody? If that person didn't like cubecart or members of the forum then just don't visit the forum or use cubecart, it's that simple! if I don't like a person, I don't try and burn his house down or try to ruin his life, I just don't associate with him. It's really not a hard concept.;)

Vashant

Cubecart is safe but appartnly the forum software isnt
I do not want to be seen as justifying ANY attack. It is a despicable thing. But I believe I know one reason why Invision Power Board forum software has become a target.

I was an early user and supporter of IPB. It was an atmosphere of love, peace and free software supported by voluntary registration and payments for additional services. Like many others, I paid for a license out of a sense of support and responsbility. I bought mods from IPB costing hundreds of dollars. I participated often in the tech support forums.

Along the way, with the support of their user community, they made big break-throughs in the marketplace and started selling service contracts to major corporations who discovered forums as powerful marketing tools and intranet portals.

Then one day, without prior warning, IPB cut off the free trial downloads. They eliminated the voluntary, unlimited paid license and "forgot" to register those who had bought them. They announced an annual fee program. They shut down the support forums and opened a separate support site that was accesible only to people who paid annually for a license.

When a security defect was discovered, attacks began and IPB abandoned its former supporters who had paid for licenses.

In order get a patch for the defect in the IPB software, any one who had not paid for an annual license - even those who bought a license when it was a one-time voluntray payment - were shut out. All the support contact email addresses have been removed from the IPB web site. They have built a wall around themselves that shuts out those who helped them get where they are now. Requests for a patch for the defective software are rejected.

Is it a stretch to suspect that some disgruntled customers might be involved in attacks?

Lest anyone think I am being cute and secretly supportive of the attackers, my own licensed, paid IPB forum that I customized during many self-taught hours and built up membership over a few years, has been offline for the past three weeks thanks to a hacker.

If and when I can get it repaired, I'm going to reopen it it using something like VB or PHPBB.

I am in full sympathy with any one whose IPB has been hacked - but have nothing but contempt and loathing for IPB itself.