Search Engine Ranking?

Hello .. Has anyone had any success at getting up in the search engine rankings? I've submitted my site to dozens of the top search engines, but now comes into play of getting to (or somewhere near) the top ten. I have been listed on Google, etc for a few months now but my ranking when searching for my meta tags, keywords, etc.. is almost non-existent.

Is there just some good tricks, or programs out there that can do that job?

Thanks so much!

-Tim

Google ranking isn't based on the Meta tags. It doesn't even bother reading your Meta Keywords, although I understand Yahoo does.

For Google, the most import things are the TITLE, and BACKLINKS.

Make sure that the keywords you are trying to get ranked for are the first words in your title, and keep the title relatively short.

Try to get all backlinks with a text link which is your keywords.

So, for example, I made my Title

Rally Videos - Action Rallying Videos

and, I will be attempting to get as many backlinks as possible with the following

<a href="http://www.rallyingvideos.com">Rallying Videos</a>

Getting the text link with exactly your keyword phrase is VERY important for ranking well in Google.

Sorry, I should also have said that it's important that your keyword phrase is one of the first pieces of text to occur on the page.

Again, this is for Google optimisation.

That is some very useful information for me! I was not aware of the backlink method... I will have to place some backlinks throughout my site.

I take it that it would be very helpful to have my site linked on other sites as well?

Thanks again for those tips. I am going to be modifing my site tonight!

Oh also one more questions, I already submitted my website to multiple search engines a few months ago. Once I make some major changes to the site, should I resubmit my site again to the search engines?

Thanks again!

-Tim

Backlinks are other sites linking to you and who links to them and how relevant their content is and yours to the search words people enter in a search engine like google

its not just enough to have links to lots of sites on your site but to have those same sites link to you.

most site will greatfully exchange links with you providing your site has something of interest to their visitors.

if you are running a e-commerce site and you are trying to subsist off sales generated by search engines YOU WILL FAIL!

search engine rankings is only a SMALL part of generating traffic and turning that traffic into sales.

other modes of advertising are a MUST!!!

they can be...

Word of Mouth - the best free advertising around!

tell everyoine you know make sure they tell everyone they know its amazing what a focused word of mouth campaign will do.

Business cards:

better have your site listed on your business card and you better be handing it out where ever you go.

Newspaper ads:

still a cheap and effictive way to advertise ALOT of companies are using short to the point ads in newspapers to tease customers with a small bit of information and text of their website URL to get more information.

Banner Exchanges:

just plain suck when was the last time YOU clicked someones banner ad then bought something?

Search engine submission to thousands of websites or we will optimize and submit your site for you for only $29.95

total bunk total crap and a total ripoff

I ve been doing web development for over 8 years and I know what Im talking about

if your site is suffering from lack of sales its because of you not your designer

subsisting off search engine traffic is not only ineffective but DUMB, sad but true.

Steve C. Roberts

Owner/ Web Developer/ Artist

Sonic Pixel Designs

Guest broady

There is also a mod on this site that changes the title attrib whenever there is a product selected that will hopefully categorise more of your products within google.

also if you have submitted your site to search engines then it is not neccesary to re-submit when you change your site, if you are already being indexed, then when the spider trawls your site again it should update the changes within the SE.

Also try and list your site at dmoz.

Paul

• 1 month later...

And does any one here knows that Google has started indexing Flash files too?

Can't believe me : Check this link

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...+filetype%3Aswf

Ok read more about it at

http://www.sitepronews.com/index.html

This is a daily new link so it may change better grab before it's gone, but still you can have it on there Archieve section I hope.

right On Dont Ask Thanks for posting this article!!!!

this is awesome news and Id heard rumours of google indexing flash content but hadnt seen any solid information on it.

now all we have to do is intimidate all the flash abusers out there into using flash for only good and not evil purposes... :D

Kinetic

Hi

Just something I have noticed, I have the original "title mod" installed, and it all works great.

I just looked at a search engine result for one of my products, and the title has been found and displayed, but the description has grabbed the first words it comes across :

Search: Add to favorites Your Account Welcome Guest [ Log In Register Category Store Home Fishing Stuff Gifts Sale Items Featured Product Deer Were Their Li.. Information Products: 40 ...

Is there a way I can get the actual product description to appear (do they need to be the first words on the page somehow??)

If anyone has any ideas (or maybe I'm missing something obvious?) they would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave.

:D