sticking my neck out

jerseyjoe

Guest vrakas

This section is for show off but to be honest and fair to others i will post the same comment i gave to similar sites, not much designing am afraid. :(

In IE the header has problems but i think it may be also related to the background colour.

In FF the background colour in the main frame is black and in IE its brown. :rolleyes:

The products categories background is using the default light blue colour and does not match the rest of the sites colours. ( it stands out like a fly in a glass of milk ;) )

Overall: This is the CC Legend skin with the header and some colours changed, something we have seen many many times before mostly done by newbies :(

This section is for show off but to be honest and fair to others i will post the same comment i gave to similar sites, not much designing am afraid. :(

In IE the header has problems but i think it may be also related to the background colour.

In FF the background colour in the main frame is black and in IE its brown. :rolleyes:

This was the subject of a posting in the support forum that never got a response. I'd welcome advice on where and how to edit code that will reconcile the browsers.

The products categories background is using the default light blue colour and does not match the rest of the sites colours. ( it stands out like a fly in a glass of milk ;) )
Agreed. It's one of the details I'll get to at the end after everything else is done.

Overall: This is the CC Legend skin with the header and some colours changed, something we have seen many many times before mostly done by newbies :(
Agreed. But as I say elsewhere, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm less interested in avoiding looking like a standard skin in terms of graphics and colors than I am in the above issues - and more interested in how well the layout shows the product in a clear and consistent way. I doubt that few of the store's customers will ever see another Cube Cart - even fewer will recognize the source - but if they do, none will recoil in horror that it is not radically modified to hide its orgins. What I am interested in is, can a buyer find something to buy and order it in the most instinctual and hassle-free way?

Your comments are respected. Your advice on fixing the above issues will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plaidlightbulb

>I don't know anything about cigars, but is it really the most logical and efficient to have them all in one category?

>i think it would be helpful to have the left hand menu text larger. RIght now, it's one of the last things my eye lands on when I look at the page.. though that may also be due in part to the colors involved in your layout, which as you mentioned aren't finished yet.

>it would be helpful to have the banner be a link to the homepage. I realize that there is a homepage link under "Shop by Category" (which is a little odd) but it's something many people are used to.

>I'm looking at Figurado (which is free, by the way) and I'm a little confused. Is it a set that includes one of each size? Two of each size, like in the picture? The description says "3 sizes in both maduro and claro" so I'm assuming that if I pick, say, claro from that drop down menu and buy one I'll get three claro, one of each size. is that correct? it's not very clear. Maybe Figurado Claro and Figurado maduro could be two seperate product listings. This is the only product I have looked at and I'm hoping the rest of the descriptions are not as confusing. Maybe it's not confusing to those who hail from cigarland, then again does this shop want to appeal to casual/n00b cigar fans as well?

---

Disclaimer!

It seems to me that cigars are a very particular hobby, though, so it's hard for me to give you feedback about how effective your organization is since i don't know anything about cigars or cigar people, so I don't know how they think or what they're looking for.

---

>The "Search for" text butts up against the header image a little too closely, I think. If that text was on its own line, aligned to the left end of the search box, I think it would look better. Or you could just make the search feature into a side module.

>That's a lot of languages. Are you really going to have a Chinese version of this site?

>The front page needs more visual interest, it's a bit flat right now. Also, I think you should think some more about what type of image the company wants to have. Whether it's a down to earth, mom and pop operation or a high brow conniseur shop, some character would do a lot for visual and emotional appeal.

this post is a little random and rambly, i hope it's digestable. thanks for all your helpful comments back in my thread, by the way! I read a lot of the threads in this forum hoping to learn ways to improve my store and I think yours is the most in depth and helpful criticism. And you apologise for your frankness way too much, trust me, you are not as harsh as you think you are. I'm guessing you've never been an art student :)

Guest bholland

Hi There,

I only looked for a second at your site, but what jumped out at me was the "buy" and "more" buttons...What's the point of having both of them if they go to the same place? Am I missingn something here?

B

the "buy" and "more" buttons...What's the point of having both of them if they go to the same place? Am I missingn something here?
No, you are not missing something - in fact you've picked up on something that I never noticed and neither has any one else. It certainly is irregular. When the Buy button is clicked, you not only are taken to the same page as if you had clicked More, but nothing is put in the shopping cart. I'll have to post a question in a tech support forum. Good catch. Thanks

the "buy" and "more" buttons...What's the point of having both of them if they go to the same place? Am I missingn something here?
No, you are not missing something - in fact you've picked up on something that I never noticed and neither has any one else. It certainly is irregular. When the Buy button is clicked, you not only are taken to the same page as if you had clicked More, but nothing is put in the shopping cart. I'll have to post a question in a tech support forum. Good catch. Thanks

It does this because there are options on the product page. If there were no options, then it would added it to the cart. ;)

Guest Captain Bags

Well I like it because it's simple, uncomplicated and exudes trust.

I guess that many of the comments have been taken on board by now so what I am looking at is a site that I would buy cigars from. The brown tones work well (masculine, old fashioned, humidor, cool) and I was straight into Tito's potted bio before I checked out anything else. That copy and great photo instil confidence and trust. An excellent approach IMO, rather than merely showing product shots on the home page.

While I agree that the standard skin would not have worked so well for this client, I would question our urge to escape from the "oh, it's a standard cart" line of thought. I will open another thread in General Discussion to explore the pros and cons.

It's the role of this Show-Off forum to invite constructive criticism on desgn, layout and general appeal, which is an excellent idea because you get feedback from experienced users. Sometimes I think we can lose sight of the more important aspect: would visitors buy from this store?

This is especially significant in this case because the best cigars are an expensive commodity.

I think the answer is yes.

[introspective moment - I have been using CC for about four weeks and already I am into "we" mode. ;) ]