Install with IP only Error!

Guest jrbicycles

Guest jrbicycles

I have a quick question for the forum guys.

I am wondering if it is possible to install cubecart using only the ip address of the server until the domain name is available to be transferred.

Can I build the entire shopping cart and populate the products and mods without having the URL www.mystore.com ??? This way when the Domain name is transffered the site is ready to go. We are moving the site from an old hosting company to a new one and then once the cart is ready just doing a DNS change to point the URL to the new server.

Thanks.

Can I build the entire shopping cart and populate the products and mods without having the URL www.mystore.com ??? This way when the Domain name is transffered the site is ready to go. We are moving the site from an old hosting company to a new one and then once the cart is ready just doing a DNS change to point the URL to the new server.Thanks.
Sure you can. Clients of my hosting business do it all the time. In fact, since CC is already installed on my server, all they have to do is activate it using cPanel > Fantastico.

But even if you want to uplaod CC to the server, all your host has to do is assign you an acccount using your Domain Name. Until you do a DNS transfer, you should be able to access the store through either the CC Admin Control Panel or FTP using the server's IP address and a user name, plus password. Then, when the DNS transfer is made, the store will appear.

Another way to do this is to build the store in your own hard drive or even a USB drive and then install the finished store onto the server when you are ready. There's a tutorial I wrote about that here somewhere. Go Search on the key words "thumb drive."

Hope that helps.

Guest vrakas

Welcome to the forum :)

We are moving the site from an old hosting company to a new one and then once the cart is ready just doing a DNS change to point the URL to the new server.

If you are moving the site then you can just upload it to the new server by IP and wait till it propagades :huh:

To answer your question in short, yes it is possible :)

As the guys said, you can indeed do what you request. The only issue is that when the domain name is transferred, you'll need to manually edit your /includes/global.inc.php file to reflect the domain name rather than the IP. So long as you do that, you're golden. :)

:huh:

As the guys said, you can indeed do what you request. The only issue is that when the domain name is transferred, you'll need to manually edit your /includes/global.inc.php file to reflect the domain name rather than the IP. So long as you do that, you're golden. :):huh:
mmmm . . . respectfully, not exactly.

When I set up a new user's account on one of my servers, I create it as "www.newaccount.com" and assign it the user name "newbie" plus a password. Then I install CC, either by uploading it to that account's /public_html/ or through cPanel > Fantastico.

At that point I am reaching the CC installation as XX.XX.XXX.XXX/~newbie/ either at root or as something like XX.XX.XXX.XXX/~newbie/store/. I can get there either as an FTP address or through cPanel.

I can work on the installation to contentment using that IP address.

Let's assume that all this time, the DNS is still pointed to an older web site on another hosting server.

Then I go to the domain registrar and re-point the DNS to NS1.myhostingserver.com.

Once that propagates, the store will be served, visible and functioning. No need to edit the global file. I still can reach the store either through the proper domain name or through the IP.

I have a store just going online for a hosting customer who started out that way with a CC installation, did some configuration and testing but then, . . . (horrors!) for his own reasons, deleted the CC installation and installed a proprietary-based store. Until last week the old non-store domain name was hosted on another hosted company's server. Now that the DNS has propagated, his store is online.

In fact, he may still be lurking here and will confirm this.

Guest jrbicycles

Thanks for all the info everyone I am going to read up on the Thumb Drive tutorial as this would be perfect to show the store and get approval before I go ahead and upload it to the server.

Guest jrbicycles

As posted in my thread below I am trying to install CC on my server using only the ip address. I thought of installing the cart on thumb drive but figured I might as well just install it directly on the server.

I've installed CC and typed in the ip address to get to the store but all I get is the following error message

"WARNING - Your store will not function until the install directory and/or upgrade.php is deleted from the server."

I've deleted the install folder but the same warning message appears, I can not get past this and am at a loss as to what to do. I read in another thread that modifications to the global.inc.php file need to be made if the url of the cart has changed. Could this be what I need to do as well since I do not have a url and am just using the ip address?

Opening the global.inc.php reveals the following

<?php

$glob['dbdatabase'] = '';

$glob['dbhost'] = 'localhost';

$glob['dbpassword'] = '';

$glob['dbprefix'] = '';

$glob['dbusername'] = '';

$glob['installed'] = '0';

$glob['rootDir'] = '';

$glob['rootRel'] = '';

$glob['storeURL'] = '';

?>

Please help need to have cart running asap.

Thanks.

Guest vrakas

Thanks for all the info everyone I am going to read up on the Thumb Drive tutorial as this would be perfect to show the store and get approval before I go ahead and upload it to the server.

I have been using this for a long time, remember to follow the instructions exactly ;)

You are welcome :)

I think you have not actually installed CubeCart. There's more to installing CC than simply uploading the files. From the lack of appropriate data in your global.inc.php file, that appears to be the case because none of the expected entries are showing.

I'll assume the most common installation, on a Unix server where the root folder is /public_html/

1) upload all the files that are in the folder "upload," but not the folder itself, into the root folder. An option, if you intend the store to be part of a larger web site, and not just the store alone, would be to upload those files into an appropriate sub-folder such as /public_html/store/

2) begin the CC installation process by opening your browser to that location. If you are installing to the IP address and have that, as well as the username for the account, enter that (the Xs are your IP #) into your browser's address- note - no prefix. Just as shown here.

NOTE POST-EDIT TO CORRECT OVERSIGHT - CORRECT URL IS:

xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~username/install/

or

xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~username/store/install/

The CC installation Step #1 screen will appear.

3) Follow the steps to the end. Along the way you will need to have your FTP program open to the server so you can CHMOD (change mode) certain files that the installer will list for you. If you don't know how to CHMOD, just ask. It's not difficult at all.

4) You also will want to have pre-defined - before staring the installation - or you can stop at this point and do it now - the Db that CC will use. In the best situation, your host will have provided you with cPanel. In cPanel, open the MySQL database setup and create a Db name, db user name dbpassword AND (often overlooked) be sure to give permission for that user to manage that database. Failing to do that last step in cPanel > MySQL will frustrate the hell out of you because when you try to move from Step 3 to Step 4, the CC installer will give you cryptic error messages while refusing to complete the installation.

5) At the last CC installer step, when you see the screen that says you have installed the CC - DON'T close the installer. Before you do anything else, go back to the FTP program and delete the file called "install."

6) after deleting "install" you can return to the final CC installer screen and click on either the link to the store or the link to the admin panel.

7) thereafter, until the DNS transfer and propgation, you must use the appropriate URL to open the store in the browser, such as:

xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~username/

or

xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~username/store/

Of course, if your hosting service does provide cPanel, you can avoid all of the above and install CC using cPanel > Fantastico with just a few simple entries and clicks by going to:

xx.xx.xxx.xxx/~username/cpanel > Fantastico > and choose CubeCart from the menu.

Hope that helps.

Doing it manualy is the best way to learn and always has the latest version ;)
I agree completely. I have the choice of both but I always do it manually. The methods of installing all PHP / MySQL based programs (forums, guestbooks, etc.) varies slightly but they all follow the same basic steps of creating the Db and configuring a few files. I've learned a lot - and gotten more confident about these programs, by installing them manually instead of through Fantastico.

Guest jrbicycles

jerseyjoe,

Thanks for the step by step directions however now when I type in the ip address /storefront internet explorer goes to the old website www.jrbicycles.com error page.

For example if you go to 64.34.212.91/storefront which is where the CC is installed it immediately goes to www.jrbicycles.com/error.htm which is the old server, kind of has me scratching my head how the heck does it go to the page. if you go to 64.34.212.91 i put up a test html page just to make sure that the ip address is correct and that does work.

I also tried 64.34.212.91/~cycles/storefront but I get a "The webpage cannot be found" when putting in the username as suggested.

before doing the above I removed all cc files and reuploaded them to a different directory (storefront) I also already have the mysql database setup and the username set with password.

I installed CC in another site today with a url and it went very smoothly so i must be doing something wrong with the ip deal.

Any ideas of why this is happening? Thanks for your assitance.

Would using the manual mod make this easier and headache free? It worked great on another site www.thebmxsuperstore.com/Shop

Guest jrbicycles

EUREKA got it working this morning.

After hours and hours of pondering I got it figured out. It was so simple I wanted to kick myself.

when typing in the ip address / storefront nothing was coming up. So just for fun i typed in

ip address xx.xxx.xx.xx/storefront/index.php and there you go installation step 1. From there I followed Jerseyjoes instructions and the Store is Live.

Thanks for everyones assistance.

now on to adding all the mods.