Where do I edit templates

Guest leeaston

Guest leeaston

Hello, where do I go to edit existing templates and what's the best way to setup a new one. Any documentation around?

Thanks for any pointers.

Lee

Guest leeaston

Hello, where do I go to edit existing templates and what's the best way to setup a new one. Any documentation around?

Thanks for any pointers.

Lee

Welcome to the forum :)

The stock skins are called Legend Killer and Classic and they are housed within the Skins directory. They are basically html and css, the .tpl files being the html and style.css, layout.css and popup.css being the css files. There isnt any formal documentation as such but you will find a wealth of information in the Pinned Posts at the top of this forum and also at our sister site cubecart.org ;)

Hi, and thanks for the welcome/info.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tcraw1010

You will not see the TPL file as WYSIWYG, only the text :)

So any layout editing to be done is completely CSS coding ?? ;)

Not so sure I can handle this now . . . I know some CSS stuff, but certainly not enough to be able to customize my store the way I would want it. Kind of sucks that one cannot edit in a WYSIWYG design view.

TOM

You will not see the TPL file as WYSIWYG, only the text ;)

So any layout editing to be done is completely CSS coding ?? ;)

Not so sure I can handle this now . . . I know some CSS stuff, but certainly not enough to be able to customize my store the way I would want it. Kind of sucks that one cannot edit in a WYSIWYG design view.

TOM

There are workarounds, but it's not easy or straightforward. Skin developing is not for the faint hearted as there are so many things to take into account.

You can use the WYSIWYG editor on the global templates IF you ensure the path to the stylesheet is valid. Skins use a skin variable in the path so it's easier to install a new skin. Hardcoding the path to the stylesheet allows the global templates to be viewable in the editor with the styling required. However this only applies to the global templates. If you want the other templates to also be editable this way, you must add a stylesheet reference to each template while you're developing, and remove it afterwards. You can only edit the templates individually, and not as part of the whole skin.

This is a theoretical solution to be able to use a WYSIWYG editor. I have not tried it, but it should work.

However, when you use the template files in the skin, you may have file path issues if you are calling images etc from within the templates. Within the template files all paths must be referenced as if they are located in the root of the store, even though they are not. However image references in the styleheet must be made from the relative stylesheet location within the skin where they are stored. For this reason, you should check all image paths are correct when you come to use the skin. This is why as many image references are added to the stylesheet as possible, taking them out of the skin templates.